The Perfect 99-04 Suspension

PABowhunter

Reaction score
I've come to the point where I want to get the best possible ride and handling with my 01 ccsb. I'm not interested in doing an 05+ axle swap. I would like to work with what I have and make a leaf sprung truck ride as good as possible. I've done enough reading on here to know what most guys recommend. With that being said here is my current setup:

Front: X code springs from SDTrucksprings. Monroe Reflex shocks. Stock swaybar
Rear: Stock springs (not sure on code) with F350 block. Monroe Reflex shocks. No swaybar

At some point, I would like to add the following:

1. New Shocks all the way around. Fox 2.0 are the general consensus around here, but Bilsteins may also be an option.
2. Upgraded front and rear swaybar. I have a decent amount of roll in the corners. Looking at swaybars from Hellwig.
3. Traction bars. I don't want to get into a OUO vs PMF arguement. Everyone who puts traction bars on there truck seems to love them. I don't have any experience with them.

Of those 3 upgrades mentioned, which will give the greatest ride improvement for the cost? Fox 2.0's will run close to $500. Front and rear swaybars will run around $450 and traction bars will be around $1,000. If you were to spread them out, which would you do first?

I know there are also other options for front and rear springs that may improve ride quality. I could go with a softer spring up front and do shackle lift. The rears could also be swapped out for the 08+ springs (with brackets). If anyone has experience with this I would be interested in hearing how much of an improvement they made.

sootie

Reaction score
Do full deavers in the rear and custom valved foxes all the way around. It will cost more but valving makes all the difference in a shock.

Traction Bars won't help ride any (they are great and help shifting etc but don't expect a ride improvement)

brewer

Reaction score
It's amazing how much difference just having a rear sway bar makes in cornerning/changing lanes in traffic/etc.
That said, I'm not a Hellwig fan due to their link style. I think you will notice quite a difference by the stock F350 30mm rear sway bar. Don't remember if the front sway bar is larger on a F350 vs 250.

PABowhunter

Reaction score
Do full deavers in the rear and custom valved foxes all the way around. It will cost more but valving makes all the difference in a shock.

Traction Bars won't help ride any (they are great and help shifting etc but don't expect a ride improvement)

What makes Deavers so great? Are they good for a certain style of driving? Offroad?

Is it easy to valve foxes yourself? Or are you better off buying them set up for you?

PABowhunter

Reaction score
It's amazing how much difference just having a rear sway bar makes in cornerning/changing lanes in traffic/etc.
That said, I'm not a Hellwig fan due to their link style. I think you will notice quite a difference by the stock F350 30mm rear sway bar. Don't remember if the front sway bar is larger on a F350 vs 250.

Is there another swaybar company you recommend? I've never really heard much besides stock and hellwig.

sootie

Reaction score
what makes deavers better is how they use very thin leaves but use twice as many. that way, they are less stiff and more sensitive to small adjustments (little annoying bumps). the reason the pack is thicker is too keep the weight rating up.

i would call carli and explain what you are doing and see what they recommend. I like their shock valveing the best of all i have ridden in.

Layson

Reaction score
I would probably start with those fox shocks and go from there. One thing at a time.

What wheels and tires are you running. I am sure you have messed with air pressure in your tires as well.

PABowhunter

Reaction score
what makes deavers better is how they use very thin leaves but use twice as many. that way, they are less stiff and more sensitive to small adjustments (little annoying bumps). the reason the pack is thicker is too keep the weight rating up.

i would call carli and explain what you are doing and see what they recommend. I like their shock valveing the best of all i have ridden in.

Gotcha. That makes sense. I'll have to talk to them and discuss options.

PABowhunter

Reaction score
I would probably start with those fox shocks and go from there. One thing at a time.

What wheels and tires are you running. I am sure you have messed with air pressure in your tires as well.

I thought about that as well. Every talks about how well fox shocks ride. Even the stock 2.0's. I always wonder if it's just in their head or if they really do noticeably improve the ride.

Currently running 305/70r16 on a 16x10 wheel. I'd like to upgrade to a 20x10 wheel with a 33-35x12.5 at some point. One thing at a time.

I've fluctuated tire pressure between 50-65 psi.

psduser1

Reaction score
A 20" rim will significantly reduce sidewall, and generally give a stiffer ride, vs a 16" rim.
On the other hand, handling will definitely improve.

PABowhunter

Reaction score
Yea, I don't think the 16" rim is helping my roll in the corners.

Figured it can't be too bad with 20" wheels since that seems to be the new minimum from the factory.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
I went with factory 20's with my new suspension. I went 05+ setup, but went with the 20" rims to hopefully improve the cornering and roll.

Hoping the new suspension and shocks will dampen out any downsides to the 20" rims.

PABowhunter

Reaction score
I went with factory 20's with my new suspension. I went 05+ setup, but went with the 20" rims to hopefully improve the cornering and roll.

Hoping the new suspension and shocks will dampen out any downsides to the 20" rims.

Do you feel like the swap was worth it?

sootie

Reaction score
You won't be blown away by stock tuned fox 2.0 on a leaf sprung truck. Tried it myself...

TyCorr

Reaction score
I think nothing short of the damper out of a coilover will make the leaf sprung truck ride well. Mine has all new springs and shocks but there is nothing noteworthy on it. It rides nice compared to the old 6" lift I took off.

PABowhunter

Reaction score
I think nothing short of the damper out of a coilover will make the leaf sprung truck ride well. Mine has all new springs and shocks but there is nothing noteworthy on it. It rides nice compared to the old 6" lift I took off.

What springs and shocks did you end up going with?

Bluke

Reaction score