GTA4294 build

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
I have access to a GTA4294 that my buddy wants to use for a build on his 99.5 7.3. We want to see if anyone else has successfully done a GTA4294 build before and what size injectors to go with. My buddy originally wanted a 200cc now he is thinking 250cc.

Now the tricky question, can this setup tow? I do not know much about 7.3's so is one size of injectors more favorable with this turbo? Is the turbo too large for towing? He will be towing up to 15,000lbs.

Thanks guys!

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
I had a 4294r with some 250/200s and it towed 12k quite often. It was a machine, went through u joints like going out of style though. It had Bts twin pumps, didnt like single hpop to much.

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
Well we're committed to the gta4294. He bought the turbo. He is going to pick up a 1.15 turbine housing and I am going to build him a set of 250/200 injectors. He is hoping for about 500HP with this build. Is that a feasible goal with this setup?

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
Well we're committed to the gta4294. He bought the turbo. He is going to pick up a 1.15 turbine housing and I am going to build him a set of 250/200 injectors. He is hoping for about 500HP with this build. Is that a feasible goal with this setup?

What oil? I was 600 +/- 10 hp on fuel

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
whats a GTA turbo?

heard of a GT, or a GTX.

though i been outta the 7.3 scene for a while, so i probably missed some nifty things.

Cumminsranger

Reaction score
As of right now the plan is to pull the engine bc of the oil pan, and a buddy of mine may have a 7.3 to use as a build platform. Picked up a GTA42 with a 1.28 gated housing which will be swapped to a 1.15 non gate. Picking up a set of doorman up pipes to replace my stockers (they leak) and will make a custom t4 flange. Having Jon ^aka Muhcoy build a set of 250/100s to spin that nice turbo and for now since I am not ready to go crazy on power a t500 for oil. Push rods, exhaust springs, and studs since engine is out. Anybody over here have any other recommendations? Ive heard (heard) that sometimes keeping an old head gasket on maybe better than replacing it with a new one if nothing is wrong...anybody hear that before?

Forgot to mention- Fuel will be a home made RR set up with either a stock 6.7 or a fuel labs pump.
Dave

Last edited:

njjeep

Reaction score
Yeah keep the heads on and do the studs one at a time. The seasoned head gaskets are known to hold way better than fresh ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cumminsranger

Reaction score
Yeah keep the heads on and do the studs one at a time. The seasoned head gaskets are known to hold way better than fresh ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is kind of what I was figuring on doing, A few mentioned it when I was doing my 4bt conversion so I figured id ask over here just to be safe since its a V instead of inline. Looking like I will be rebuilding my trans first. There is a nice kit on PATC that I should be able to pick up and add a few other parts just to ensure it stays living behind the new power she will get! If all goes well I maybe able to talk a friend or 2 into helping me do the trans in November this way I can get the engine side of it done by late winter early spring.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
I'm getting a GT42 off a Detroit also. 1.01 exhaust housing and got a elbow to go with turbo.

Cumminsranger

Reaction score
Are you sticking with your 300/200s? I know the main limiter I will have is the hpop. Which I am fine with. I use the truck for towing so Id rather not go and break it! lol. I am sure you will have yours done before I get to do mine, need to start with a trans rebuild first.

Cumminsranger

Reaction score
What gears you guys running that tow with the 42? I currently have 4.10s and when I rebuild them I was possibly going to drop down to a 3.73, do you think that would affect towing much after that added fuel and air? Max I tow is usually 22-24k.

Swaan

Reaction score
Depends on what tires your running.
If it's 35s then stick with the 4:10s
Pulling that kinda weight, 4:10s is what you want. You don't want to lug it with that turbo. You'll be under the turbo a lot with 3:73 towing IMO.

mandkole

Reaction score
towing 10K with that turbo can be an issue... its going to be happiest above 2K. Its a challenge to stay on top of it-- below its hot, smoky, laggy.

Based on my experience, I would not select that turbo for that much weight and for something that spends most of its time towing. Stick with the 38R, H2E, BASB, etc. no bigger than 66mm... Just my .02

Did you spend some time in this thread..? Good stuff for same type of application and a 3.73 may work for you. http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51720

Latest posts

Members online