e 99 7.3 electrical issues

Mr. Jones

Reaction score
my battery is at 12.0 volts when I hook it up to the the truck it drops down to 9.5. When I disconnect it, it goes back to 12.0. when it is plugged in it has a ticking noise from under the dash. It also doesn't have any power to the gauges. I have been working on it for 3 days now and I am out of ideas please HELP!!!!
Thanks

Mr. Jones

Reaction score
it was under the radio. I tried jumping it from my wifes car and the noise has now stopped. When I first turn the key the volts are at 13. While waiting for the wts light they drop down to 8. Then shortly after the fuel pump goes off they come back up. I just put a new fuel pump in and i am trying to prime it but it seems like there is not enough power to get it to flow. I have looked online and have not been able to find much. I believe the ticking was from the fuel pump relay. I have switched it out and still not keeping power. Any Ideas what could be draining on initial start up process.

Mr. Jones

Reaction score
Yes it is 70ish. Thanks for the tip. Latest update when i left it connected to my wifes car for approximately 30 min. it started without dropping in volts. I had the batteries tested 3 weeks ago and they said they were good. The new fuel pump I put in is not pumping I tried pressurizing the tank with a compressor but no luck. When I disconnected the fuel lines I didn't feel any suction or blowing from the new pump. What are your thoughts on that? Thanks for the help so far I cant tell you how much I appreciate it!

Diesel23

Reaction score
Welcome Mr Jones . You may have better luck posting this in the 7.3 section, or have mods move it , you may get a lot more help , good luck

Latest posts

Members online