cleaning aftermarket wheels

04redcrew

Reaction score
hey guys i just bought some moto metal 970s black with the machined spokes and i was wondering how to keep them looking good. One question i have is can i hand wash them with a mircofiber mitt? Also what spray or other type of cleaners can i use? Thanks sorry for the dumb question haha

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
I spray my wheels with simple green, then hose off, then take a car wash sponge and clean them more thoroughly. Once a month I quick detail or wax them. Up here in NJ the DOT is not stingy with salt so I'm getting my wheels ready for the abuse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
Forgot to add that I use Lil Lucy's Detailer stuff and it works great. I use it on the whole truck,, even the windows and windshield.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TripleE44

Reaction score
I would be cautious with the simple green. My dad used to use that on his wheels until he had a Chevy with painted wheels that faded over time.

As far as cleaning the wheels, soapy water with a sponge/microfiber mitt or whatever. I have a different one I use for wheels so none of the brake dust could get in my sponge that I wash the paint with. I just wash the truck then the wheels after.

I don't know if those wheels are the same gloss black as the 962s, but I have a friend with those and they're very prone to swirls. I would be cautious to only use perfectly clean towels, and make sure the sponge you use on them is extra clean as well.

If you absolutely have to, a wheel cleaner will work. I've never had wheels dirty enough to really warrant anything more than soap and water like the rest of the truck.

For protection, any wax or sealant that you use on the paint is good.

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
I use the Simple Green only once a month or so, and really used it after my truck had the fuel leaks since fuel was all over my truck. But thanks for the tip, I'll use it less often now.

Yes I do use a regular sponge and soap/water on my wheels all the time. As long as you don't use sandpaper you'll be fine LOL

Latest posts

Members online