torque converter locked up at stop light

kleake

Reaction score
You have the ASTG manual? It's good enough to get you in trouble...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I believe I do, I need to dig it out from 4 years ago. I agree though, gives just enough info to get it done, but doesn't give much detail beyond that.

kleake

Reaction score
Lots of brand choices for billet shafts. Any brand preferred, or brand to avoid? Hoping to find a black friday or cyber monday deal.

Reaction score

kleake

Reaction score
Yup, will be ordering one today. The way the pressure was going up to 300, then back down is puzzling to me. I can see the computer increasing pressure to engage the gear, but when you are sitting still and there is no shaft or gear movement inside the tranny, how would the computer know if it engaged or not? Basically a broken input shaft would act the same to the computer as a good shaft while the truck is not moving. Unless, in neutral the input shaft is rotating and when the gear engages it stops rotating and the computer can read that from the input speed sensor. A broken shaft it doesn't see that change of input speed which is possible? I guess it would depend on how smart the computer is. Appears like it's smart enough to look for an input speed change, but not smart enough to know it's not rotating even in neutral. lol

I'm probably over analyzing, but I like to understand details like that.

Anyway, I'm going to try and dig the TC side out in hopes of not having to drill the pilot, but will if needed. Going to stop by HF and pick up a long thin set of pliers of some sort. The pump side may be harder. I did get ahold of it enough to rotate it so I know it's not binding, but there isn't any bits I can grab ahold of to pull and my semi strong magnet didn't seem to have a chance. Hoping not to have to pull the pump just to get it out.

kleake

Reaction score
Interesting break patterns there. Pretty much split at every spline.

I had to drill a hole in the converter and beat it out. It was definitely stuck in there!
d64ef1a86a91bb28cdb22b3517a5b769.jpg
6b5bcb475245792ade81eed22c414d9c.jpg
0f2b6aca9a2399e53612fb4e1cd01fcb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
So much for a billet input. I think theres a way identity the type of material used by some markings on the shaft.

I remember reading where this was happening to a lot of guys who had upgraded.

kleake

Reaction score
So much for a billet input. I think theres a way identity the type of material used by some markings on the shaft.

I remember reading where this was happening to a lot of guys who had upgraded.

This one is the 300 Maraging. It didn't break at the splines, but it is cracked at each spline. Looks like cut splines instead of rolled splines may be the weak point.

kleake

Reaction score
Had to use my dremel to cut notches on the tiny piece that was on the end to get ahold of and then be creative with some leverage. Pliers clamped on with vice grips, screwdriver through the middle to pry with leverage.
ec7c82dba598cd72aa47e041de644e86.jpg
4cf40d04b813c46ed3b44edf179ac233.jpg
f705457928dd6ea21288378fe3c7a931.jpg
8fc9773d3dccb9f9b8e79cca7ea85956.jpg
abe6dc451145f496b132ad2b20d5bf3c.jpg

Reaction score
This one is the 300 Maraging. It didn't break at the splines, but it is cracked at each spline. Looks like cut splines instead of rolled splines may be the weak point.

I just looked at my invoice, this is the same shaft I purchased back in 2015. I guess I will be in your shoes at some point.

@ Sootie:

You've been at this game a lot longer than most, do you remember what happened with these shafts failing? I know I remember reading about it....

sootie

Reaction score
I just looked at my invoice, this is the same shaft I purchased back in 2015. I guess I will be in your shoes at some point.

@ Sootie:

You've been at this game a lot longer than most, do you remember what happened with these shafts failing? I know I remember reading about it....

All i know is my 300M shaft failed the EXACT same way. Under Morgan at Midwests instruction, i went with an aerhmet shaft and had no further issues.

kleake

Reaction score
All i know is my 300M shaft failed the EXACT same way. Under Morgan at Midwests instruction, i went with an aerhmet shaft and had no further issues.
For nearly double the price, the aerhmet says it's only 8% stronger? Are the spines on it also cut instead of rolled?

Reaction score

Dammit man. And if I remember correctly, all the 300M and 300 Maraging shafts were made by TCI.....

sootie

Reaction score
For nearly double the price, the aerhmet says it's only 8% stronger? Are the spines on it also cut instead of rolled?

strength of steel is usually tested by yield. In the application we are discussing, it is transmitting torque (twist). How that 8% in yield strength translates to torsional strength i dont know but it could be more...

splines were cut IIRC but heck, that was years ago lol

kleake

Reaction score
strength of steel is usually tested by yield. In the application we are discussing, it is transmitting torque (twist). How that 8% in yield strength translates to torsional strength i dont know but it could be more...

splines were cut IIRC but heck, that was years ago lol

Definitely good to know the better one is holding up. I already ordered another maraging yesterday. Debating to stick it in or re-order the better one and send the maraging and the intermediate shaft back for refunds. I definitely don't want to be pulling this apart again in another 3 or 4 years.

sootie

Reaction score
Definitely good to know the better one is holding up. I already ordered another maraging yesterday. Debating to stick it in or re-order the better one and send the maraging and the intermediate shaft back for refunds. I definitely don't want to be pulling this apart again in another 3 or 4 years.
Judging by how common the failures are/were I wouldn't put a 300m back in.

Latest posts

Members online