Random Tick 2011 6.7

olyellaferd

Reaction score
Recently about one day before changing my oil, I was accelerating through a stoplight under decent throttle percentage and my truck developed a very slight tick. For a couple months before this, when cold starting at around 40* I would get a slight tick for one or two seconds and then it would go away, didn’t have anything while driving or anything. After changing my oil, I used Schaefer’s 5w-40 full synthetic and this time I added their Moly EP oil additive. I now have the tick under load at the top of the rpm range. Usually around 1800-2000 I start to tick, this is also only in 4th, 5th, and 6th gear. Sometimes in 3rd pulling a trailer. Unsure if this is valve lash that needs adjusted or an actual severe issue with a valve-piston relationship. The truck has 170k on it. I lost a turbo around 165k and this is my second oil change on the new turbo after the initial change after the turbo swap. The turbo I went with was an Aurora 3000, also the truck is ******d with a minimaxx and has the CCV rerouted.

sootie

Reaction score
first of all, you cant adjust valve lash on an engine with hydraulic lifters. Secondly, if it was valve/piston contact, all your pistons would be in the oil pan.

olyellaferd

Reaction score
Gotcha. Could it possibly be an exhaust leak? If it is an exhaust leak on an up pipe why would it tick momentarily upon cold start? If not what do you think would be some possible issues. I’ll research popping the valve covers and see what it could be.

sootie

Reaction score
could be an exhaust leak i quess. It ticks when cold but when the piping heats up it expands and closes or partly closes the leak.

Ummm let me know how "popping" the valve covers works out for you once you open the hood lol

olyellaferd

Reaction score
Guess I’ll learn.

Definition of research (Entry 1 of 2)
1 : careful or diligent search
2 : studious inquiry or examination
especially : investigation or experimentation aimed at the discovery and interpretation of facts, revision of accepted theories or laws in the light of new facts, or practical application of such new or revised theories or laws
3 : the collecting of information about a particular subject

Latest posts

Members online