E99 Build-up (UW Mitch Build Thread)

uw mitch

Reaction score
I'm using a Logan 1917 lathe, but some of the other top makers are just using bench top hobby lathe models (you just have to take lighter cuts).

Camera gear - I'm shooting a D300. When I was in school, I funded my knife collection and USPSA shooting hobby by photographing custom knives: http://www.mitchlum.com/shows.html

~Mitch

ja_cain

Reaction score
I'm using a Logan 1917 lathe, but some of the other top makers are just using bench top hobby lathe models (you just have to take lighter cuts).

Camera gear - I'm shooting a D300. When I was in school, I funded my knife collection and USPSA shooting hobby by photographing custom knives: http://www.mitchlum.com/shows.html

~Mitch

Those knife pictures are sweet. You shoot them in a light box? I made one for a guy at work so he could photograph stuff he was trying to sell on ebay. I like the backgrounds you use too. I shoot with a 7D but would love to move up to a full frame sensor like a 5DMkII. I have been fooling around with it for years.

I bet that Logan is pretty stout. I would love to get something like that or an old Southbend. I have a Grizzly G0602 benchtop at work. It isn't too bad for the price but would love something with a little more mass. I would also like something that is easier to switch from threading operations to normal turning operation more easily. Anyway, nice work on the knives and tops. Will have to look into making some of those tops for my girls. I have turned some titanium before and I felt it turned like butter relative to something like 316 without flood cooling. Thanks for sharing.

uw mitch

Reaction score
For the knife pictures I had a simple "lean to" tent style light box. For the tops, I just have a background and bounce a flash.

The logan is really nice. Picked it up from a knifemaker friend who thought he didn't need a lathe, but I think was secretly using it as a reason to then upgrade his lathe later :) Have fun with the tops - let me know if you want any pointers.

~Mitch

uw mitch

Reaction score
Weird sound from the truck Monday night. Oh my God what'd wrong and what's it gonna cost to fix. Mechanic who is willing to drive 45 minutes out to me to say "exhaust leak, now you know what one sounds like"...priceless. Thanks Wes!

sootie

Reaction score
love the window switch technique. What are the buttons you push on the RH side of the steering wheel on the dash?

Also, did you trip both beams at the same time? Or why didnt you stage longer and get on your turbo better before launching? Im sure that 60' could be improved by doing so.

uw mitch

Reaction score
love the window switch technique. What are the buttons you push on the RH side of the steering wheel on the dash?

Also, did you trip both beams at the same time? Or why didnt you stage longer and get on your turbo better before launching? Im sure that 60' could be improved by doing so.

Yeah, window switches are old, so I gotta squeeze the whole unit to make them work. LOL

No, I rolled into the first beam, scoot into the second beam then build about 5lbs of boost before the light drops. Buttons on the right side of the dash - there's my WVO system I was making sure was on, as well as a Water/Meth.

sootie

Reaction score
so why dont you stage longer and leave harder. It would help your 60' tremendously.