Power steering screaming for mercy

Land_Yacht

Reaction score
I don't know if I just suck at searching or if ps pump issues are less common than I assumed. I just installed my 6th ps pump in about 3 months. They never go more than a week before squealing. It doesn't ever affect performance, but it is really annoying. The first 5 were from a shop and just continuous warranty swaps but I just moved and did this last one on my own. It sounds God awful now with some pretty bad screeching/chattering at idle and CRAZY loud while turning the wheel. I don't know what the hell I could've down wrong with only swapping the pump and a new accessory tensioner. It also has a new redhead steering gear (from the old shop) so that can't be the issue. Any help would be really appreciated... I'm supposed to drive from Colorado Springs down to Mesa, AZ tomorrow, or Tuesday, to visit family.

Land_Yacht

Reaction score
I did not change the belt. It seems a little loose and I did get some fluid on it so it was slipping at first start-up after the install. Shut it off and used some carb cleaner to get fluid off

78f100

Reaction score
If you are running through that many pumps something is wrong. They are notorious for the lining coming out of the metal lines to the hydraboost making a restriction. You may want to replace all the lines. If you got fluid on the belt or coolant you can't hardly make them quiet without replacing it.

Land_Yacht

Reaction score
Just went and grabbed a new pulley. Put it on and no change. The metal pressure line feeding the pump being clogged makes sense. Basically sounds like the pump is spinning dry when I start it. Guess I'll be making another trip to dealership :/

Land_Yacht

Reaction score
Belt, not pulley. When the first pump went out I was about 100 miles into a 650 mile drive. So I'm just going to replace both metal lines. To the pump and to the steering gear

Members online

No members online now.