Anti-Theft Issue

dustinz85

Reaction score
Working on a family friend's 08 FX4. He was driving done the road and all of a sudden the truck shutoff. Helped him get the truck towed home and we have messed with it for 2 days now. My research on the topic has found no solution so i hoping you guys can help :)

I believe the issue is with the PATS system. When you turn the key on the red lock is blinking rapidly for about 45 seconds and then blinks about every 2 seconds. The regular code scanner i have cant make a connection to the OBD2 port and im in the middle of reformatting my PC with AE on it. Is the OBD2 port disabled with the truck is in an Anti-Theft mode?

Once i am able to get my PC back up and running will i be able to check the health of the PATS system or reset it to the keys that he has?

Lastly, the truck does have an aftermarket remote starter on it. I am in the process of getting a wiring diagram for it. Im guessing that it needs to fool the PATS system to be able to function and im wondering if this might be a cause of this. At first glance, the wiring for the system looks pretty professional and looks like it was installed correctly.

Any information you guy might have to troubleshoot this is well appreciated!

sootie

Reaction score
sounds like a pats issue. First step would be to completely remove the remote start kit. Who cares what it looks like. Next step is to diconnect both batteries and either touch the pos and neg together or hit the brake pedal to use up any residual voltage. let it sit for a bit. Then reconnect the batteries and turn the key to the on position "do not crank". Go to the bullet connector that is tape to the wiring harness on the firewall side of the passenger side battery and separate it. Take the end that heads down towards the starter and touch it to the positive post on the battery. THe truck should crank then and with any luck start. If it starts, it will have reset the pats system. If it doesnt start, you will likely need to reset the pats with IDS.

dustinz85

Reaction score
sounds like a pats issue. First step would be to completely remove the remote start kit. Who cares what it looks like. Next step is to diconnect both batteries and either touch the pos and neg together or hit the brake pedal to use up any residual voltage. let it sit for a bit. Then reconnect the batteries and turn the key to the on position "do not crank". Go to the bullet connector that is tape to the wiring harness on the firewall side of the passenger side battery and separate it. Take the end that heads down towards the starter and touch it to the positive post on the battery. THe truck should crank then and with any luck start. If it starts, it will have reset the pats system. If it doesnt start, you will likely need to reset the pats with IDS.

Ok, I’ll try disconnecting batteries and the starter override. Any chance AE can reset the PATS system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
dont forget the first point about removing the remote start. I have seen aftermarket components cause enormous issues before. I'm not familiar with AE sorry.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
:whs: Aftermarket alarms and remote starts and stuff will screw with a whole bunch. Had an f150 a month ago or so that wouldnt turn off due to the aftermarket remote start taking a dump.

dustinz85

Reaction score
:whs: Aftermarket alarms and remote starts and stuff will screw with a whole bunch. Had an f150 a month ago or so that wouldnt turn off due to the aftermarket remote start taking a dump.

Ok def going to remove the remote start system tomorrow. Hopefully that resolves the issue.

Thanks guys for all the info. I’ll update with my findings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk