Puking degas bottle...

Opz350

Reaction score
I have a 08F450 with a brand new long block with studs. I have 480 miles on this install and it's puking coolant out the degas under a load...new water pump, new oil cooler, everything new. I'm gonna take it back to the shop in the morning but could it be head gaskets with a brand new studded long block??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Opz350

Reaction score
They were new as of 7 months ago, but they didn't replace them when they did the engine.

Opz350

Reaction score
I noticed it puked today with coolant temp only getting to 192. Truck is ******d EGR and ***, I have a mini max tuner

Opz350

Reaction score
Driving slow around town it didn't seem to blow out. Temps in the 185-190 range

Opz350

Reaction score
I suppose I'll try that first. I'm still taking it back to the shop probably

mohead1

Reaction score
I was gonna say that....there were a batch of caps that were defective....need the late model cap...m

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Opz350

Reaction score
Aftermarket cap didn't fix it, but I have a Ford cap coming today. Did a exhaust test on the coolant and it showed no exhaust gas present. Could the fuel cooler system have a bad cap also? It's just wet on top of all that area when I pop the hood

sootie

Reaction score
if the shop didnt check the block for flatness and have the heads decked, you could very well have blown headgaskets again...studs or no studs.

Opz350

Reaction score
We checked the coolant degas for exhaust gases and it showed no signs of that. Wouldn't that show the head gasket problem? It also will hold pressure overnight in the degas can, I can open it when it's cold the next morning and there is still pressure in there, not excessive, but pressure on the system. The long block was built from a shop in Houston Tx, and has warranty, but I'm hoping it's not a HG...my shop doesn't seem to think so

Leftthenleft

Reaction score
I just went thru this. Brand new built motor I put in my truck with studs. I took it easy for 500 miles or so and then tried to make a decent pull on it. Anything over 28-30 lbs of boost it would puke out the cap and all down the bottom and side of the truck. First thing I did was go buy a cap. No difference. Midwest took it back apart and said the headgaskets were toast. They put arp studs in it, decked the block, and o ringed the heads and it is fixed. Hopefully your situation is a little easier to fix!

mohead1

Reaction score
WOW.....a new engine taking out head gaskets....wtf? Didnt surface block/heads or what? Thats standard rebuild 101....i would be more than pissed

sootie

Reaction score
WOW.....a new engine taking out head gaskets....wtf? Didnt surface block/heads or what? Thats standard rebuild 101....i would be more than pissed

chance you take when you dont start with new parts...

Opz350

Reaction score
I replaced the cap with a new Ford cap and so far I'm not blowing out the degas any longer, and I made one decent pull with it 30-35 pounds of boost with no blowing out the degas. It did show a little low on coolant after a few days of driving, but only about an inch below the cool mark. I sure as hell hope the headgaskets aren't toast...they decked it and installed ARP studs when built, but I suppose that doesn't mean anything..it's under warranty but I don't want to have to go through pulling the heads and down time on my truck again, Jesus...I did have them do an exhaust gas check on the coolant and it came out negative. Is there any other way to check besides pulling the heads?

sootie

Reaction score
I replaced the cap with a new Ford cap and so far I'm not blowing out the degas any longer, and I made one decent pull with it 30-35 pounds of boost with no blowing out the degas. It did show a little low on coolant after a few days of driving, but only about an inch below the cool mark. I sure as hell hope the headgaskets aren't toast...they decked it and installed ARP studs when built, but I suppose that doesn't mean anything..it's under warranty but I don't want to have to go through pulling the heads and down time on my truck again, Jesus...I did have them do an exhaust gas check on the coolant and it came out negative. Is there any other way to check besides pulling the heads?

buy another cap so you know it seals and plump a 50psi gauge into it with a flexible line (something like truck air brake hose). Run it up to your wiper cowl so you can see it when you are driving. Get the truck up to heat on the hwy and do a WOT run from 50mph up. If your gauge reads over the pressure your cap is rated for, you are pressurizing the coolant.

Opz350

Reaction score
Well...got up to operating temp, short run with about 30lbs of boost had 30lbs of pressure in my degas bottle.....hooked an air gauge up to the degas bottle and taped the gauge to my windshield....****...

mohead1

Reaction score
Thats too bad.....were the heads and block surfaced....30 psi aint **** for a 6.4, i can hit that towing w no prob

Latest posts

Members online