Current GPR options

Cloverleaffarm

Reaction score
This will be the first winter I'll be in a 7.3 since 2012. Figured It's time to replace the factory GPR on my OBS. Back in the day the best on the market was the Stancor GPR. Is that still the case or is there different ones that might be better quality for similar price range or less?

Cloverleaffarm

Reaction score
This??
WESTERN SNOW PLOW RELAY 56131K-2
THIS WESTERN SNOWPLOW MOTOR RELAY IS A GREAT REPLACEMENT FOR YOUR OEM GLOW PLUG RELAY THAT COMMONLY FAILS, AND ITS RATING IS EVEN BETTER THAN THE STANCOR RELAY. PLUS, ITS HALF THE COST OF THE STANCOR RELAY.

VOLTAGE: 12V

CONTINUOUS AMPS: 150A

SURGE AMPS: 800A

CONDITION: NEW
MOUNTING: FLAT 180 (F180)
DUTY CYCLE: CONTINUOUS 100%
CASE MATERIAL: PLASTIC
NUMBER OF TERMINALS: 4

mikeeg02

Reaction score
I have a tyco p/n that is rated better and I've tested and it's far superior to the Stancor. Having said that. I've never had an issue with a Stancor in a gpr environment. Though I've burned them up paralleling two banks of 500AH worth of batteries with 4/0 wire.

Cloverleaffarm

Reaction score
I've found the western gpr's in the 18-25$ range through various sites. Even found 2 local western plow dealers close, might contact them and see what they charge

Optimator82

Reaction score
I've got the Western plow relay on my truck and I paid around $25 for it. It's been on my truck for 2 winters and I've always had trouble free starts.

Reaction score
I've had zero issues or problems with the Stancor or the Western Plow relays. The Western Plow relay is a lot cheaper (was only about $15 each from Russo Power when I bought them). I'm using the Western Plow currently since I can get it to fit under the factory decorative engine cover with the GP shunt on my 97 Cali model. Cheers!

Got4wd

Reaction score
I've had zero issues or problems with the Stancor or the Western Plow relays. The Western Plow relay is a lot cheaper (was only about $15 each from Russo Power when I bought them). I'm using the Western Plow currently since I can get it to fit under the factory decorative engine cover with the GP shunt on my 97 Cali model. Cheers!

Do you have any pics on how the shunt is mounted with the western relay?

Reaction score
I've attached a photo, but basically the relay orientation is the same. Since the relay base is different, I only use one mounting bolt on the base (with everything installed it is still very solid). You can't see it, but there is a spacer under the shunt phenolic base to make up for the additional height of the WP relay. Everything else is essentially stock. I did put little pieces of fuel hose on the relay's large post just to make sure that they didn't short on the decorative cover (it doesn't anyway, but I leave them on there just because). Cheers!

Attachments

• WP Relay with Shunt.JPG
    WP Relay with Shunt.JPG
    257.4 KB · Views: 56

Got4wd

Reaction score
I've attached a photo, but basically the relay orientation is the same. Since the relay base is different, I only use one mounting bolt on the base (with everything installed it is still very solid). You can't see it, but there is a spacer under the shunt phenolic base to make up for the additional height of the WP relay. Everything else is essentially stock. I did put little pieces of fuel hose on the relay's large post just to make sure that they didn't short on the decorative cover (it doesn't anyway, but I leave them on there just because). Cheers!

Thank you very much! I have the stancor but don't use the shunt.