Another T4 thread

TARM

Reaction score
Problem with that is no one wants to spend thousands upon thousands to R&D injectors to find out it just does not work. Like a few said in that thread that tried larger 600% nozzles and 4:1 ratio injectors said that they looked great on the flow bench but fell short once put to the real test.

Not aware of whos work it was on the B&P but an issue is if you only take away one part of the issue you still have the bottle neck down the line. Without knowing the specifics, so understand that, I do not think I would have gone right to a 600% to test a new BP ratio. Maybe something we know already works so we can compare like 200% maybe a 400% see where that gets you and you really need it on a engine dyno with pressure transducers in the glow plug ports.

But on your point of cost no question about it. 99% do not want to spend the money where there are plug and play engine platforms for power levels right up and over 1K without need of much testing or any RD

It is ashame it was not done 10 yrs ago as there are so many 7.3 blocks out there and parts. A proper injector could put it in the game of the lower end of the puller classes and make it interesting at the strip. With teh huge drop in cost of CNC machines it would not be nearly the same cash output as it would have been a decade ago. I know of a good number of people with 7 axis nice units in there home shops. You would have never seen that years ago.

If a good pair of injectors could be made for the market that could fuel 1K I would be willing to drop double what they go for today. I think Jason has the whole package worked out issue is that is one man and no one seems to want to step up.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Tarm I undersrand your line of thinking as to try something "common" in terms of nozzle to test out a new concept. The only issue with that is you are taking a component that was found to work very well with a design you are attempting to completely change. Does that make sense? Like trying a 7.3 part on a 6l because it worked well on the 7.3.

I think in my own delusion, by quietly listening to hrt (jason) when he starts to talk about the new injector tech he is working on, I believe the next step isnt a massaging of the old hybrid inner workings. I think its a new thing designed to fit in the old system. That may be the hard part of getting them out, fitting the stuff in an old 7.3 injector body.

Jason discusses the nozzles being too small for being punched out past 200% with any predictable reliability. It leads me to believe his 800% nozzles are larger nozzles that require a bigger/different brass cup to receive them. Im not alluding to knowing a single concrete thing about his work but im only guessing based on things he's said. He's not one to just come out and spell things out unless its to clear up stuff we should already know at this point.

750/800% isnt gonna be a standard hybrid core massaged to the ragged edge. Hopefully he sees this and will lend some insight as to if these will run on a single pump, duals, or if oil on a level never before seen will be needed.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Sorry I had to double check some of my numbers and have not been home much over the last few days to reply on this.

Yes because the nozzle was not the limit at those levels the limit was the oil fill and exiting the injector. When that happens you see a drop in injection pressure and you basically get actually less fuel because the oil side can not keep up with the speed the piston would have to move to keep up fuel psi.

I have to still look some more for the graph I made as it makes this very easy but here are the rough guide lines to the mechincal PW window in ratio or rpm and include the added commanded delay( commanded versus actually once the injector actual pushing fuel out the nozzle.

Mechanical Window= 42°-45° degree crank shaft rotation(CSR).

crankshaft rotation degree (CSR)to rpm per milisecond(MS) or pulse width (PW). ( in otherwords 1 ms = __°@ ___ rpm) Then we must add 0.5 to this to see what we actually COMMAND the PW to be as we must account for the delay between command and actually event.

You then have to factor 2.3-2.5hp/cc.

But you have to have those CC in the upper RPM band or the tq is just too high down low as you have to remember TQ is only one part of power twisting force but in and of itself is static. You have to have movement or work done which is the flywheel rotation in the case of these engines. Torque starts to decrease as RPMS increase because air flow and efficiency of use is limited. The more rotation in a minute the more air its using per given time. This is how HP can keep increasing while TQ decreases as more work is being down via the faster RPMs. (The air factor is why we can get there when we use NOS as it greatly increases content and density of O2.)

So knowing this and knowing from lots of observation of diesel motors we know we can only make about 2.3 to 2.5RWHP per CC (1000 shot) of fuel ( fuel only).

Lets use the current ultimate goal for a HEUI 7.3 which is to make 1000hp fuel only to the rear wheels. To be optimistic lets use the upper limit of 2.5hp/cc

1000hp/2.5hp = 400 cc

So we need 400cc of fuel to get to 1000 hp and to do that we need a certain amount of RPM to use both the air and fuel to be burnt efficiently enough to keep this ratio of fuel to HP. We also have to limit tq to something "A" that will keep the engine together and "B" that can be something we can at least use a large % of. To get more HP up top we need to correspondingly increase the TQ levels at higher RPMS.

I am going off memory here as I have nto found the chart yet but IIRC:

The effective fueling window or PW window is about 45° of crankshaft rotation for each cylinder. I think it was roughly 6° of Crankshaft rotation per 1000 rpms =1 ms of PW time. You can then subtract this fro the 45° to see how many MS of PW time you have for a given RPM. This is the actual mechincal window. There is still injector delay thus we need to account for this to get commanded PW as we have in the tunes. That delay should be constant and I beleive is 0.5ms. That needs to then be added to the mech PW window to get the commanded PW.

We will use best case scenario of 45° available crankshaft degrees.
Total Available Pulse Width (TAPW) in Milliseconds for each rpm bracket
1000rpm = 06.0° CSR / MS = 7.50 ms TAPW = Commanded: 8.00 ms
1500rpm = 09.0° CSR / MS = 5.00 ms TAPW = Commanded: 5.50 ms
2000rpm = 12.0° CSR / MS = 3.75 ms TAPW = Commanded: 4.25 ms
2500rpm = 15.0° CSR / MS = 3.00 ms TAPW = Commanded: 3.50 ms
3000rpm = 18.0° CSR / MS = 2.50 ms TAPW = Commanded: 3.00 ms
3500rpm = 21.0° CSR / MS = 2.14 ms TAPW = Commanded: 2.64 ms
4000rpm = 24.0° CSR / MS = 1.87 ms TAPW = Commanded: 2.37 ms
4500rpm = 27.0° CSR / MS = 1.66 ms TAPW = Commanded: 2.16 ms
5000rpm = 30.0° CSR / MS = 1.5 ms TAPW = Commanded: 2.00 ms

So we need to be making peak HP somewhere in the 4.5K-5K range. Thus we need to be able to dump at least 400cc of fuel in a commanded 2.0-2.20

But now consider the oil side of things. But do not consider it in terms of total flow per minute but consider it in terms of flow rate per time or crankshaft degrees of movement during a injector PW time period.

What does it take to move 400cc of fuel. We always talk in the flow bench flow rates but this does not really give the accurate picture. They are done per 1000 shots so the differences can be read easily.

400cc / 1000 shots = 0.4 cc per injector firing.

oil to fuel ratio of a hybrid = 5:1

0.4cc of fuel = 2cc of oil displacment

Standard 17° HPOP displaces 7.2cc per revolutions and rotates @ 85% crankshaft rotation.

That is a perfect world. Lets just drop off the 0.2 cc to take care of the real world inefficiencies that are in the system and that is conservative IMO.

Now everyone is going to be running at least a dual hpop system at that level So for arguments sake we double the displacement amount so 14cc per full HPOP gear rotation. But its 85% of the crankshaft so we need to reduce this to displacement per crankshaft rotation or for every RPM level we will have to recalculate for the 85%.

14cc x 85% = 11.9 cc per CSR of 360°

We all I think understand that the higher the RPM of the engine the more oil the HPOPs are displacing in given period of time. Thus if there is not enough oil displacement a given RPM no rpm below that will be able to displace more oil. So we are all on the same page now.

If we look at the chart above it gives us a chart of crankshaft degrees of rotation for a given time period in this case per millisecond.

We have to keep in mind with only have a limited amount of crankshaft degrees of rotation to inject our fuel. This means we are always limited by the fixed amount of CSR being 45° but time or PW window varies with RPM ( getting shorter)

The crankshaft degree rotation window being fixed is critical as it gives us a maximum rate for oil flow per RPM. You get forget about all the PW times as this is the best or most the HPOP system can support or its max displacement flow rate.

So we know that a dual 17° HPOP setup can possibly displacement 11.9cc of oil per 360° crankshaft rotation.

We know the maximum crankshaft rotation for a given cylinder that will ensure the fuel hits the piston bowl is 45°.

45° is 1/8 of the full 360° of rotation or 12.5%

11.9cc per CSR x 12.5% = 1.4875cc

1.4875cc This is the most oil a dual HPOP can displace per injection event regardless of the RPM. So any PW window is going to have to be a fraction of this or guess what P1211 !!

The rotational degrees all works out as we have a 8 Cyl 4 stroke engine. For every 360° of rotation 4 cylinders fire or 90° of rotation per cyl of that 1/2 of that piston movement in the window that given injector angle and spray pattern will have the majority hitting the piston bowl where it belongs and can be used.

Now you begin to see why you need big oil even with stock B codes and why as the nozzle size goes up and increase fuel flow per time you need more oil volume.

Now what do we have

Fixed ratio of oil to fuel at the injector: 5:1 (Forget any of the oil restrictions)
Maximum displacement of HPOP oil per CSR: 11.9:1
Maximum crankshaft window for injection: 45°
Maximum HPOP oil displacement per 45° CSR or per injection window: 1.4875cc

This means we can see, mathematically, what is the most fuel a dual HPOP using a "hybrid 5:1" injector can supply for a given PW at full 3K psi

1.4875cc / 5 = 0.2975cc per injection event

0.2975cc x 1000 shot = 297.5cc of fuel

We can see the maximum amount of fuel a dual 17° HPOP using a hybrid injector can support its injection pulse. Or the amount of oil displacement available or any injector by computing the hydraulic ratio This is also factoring in the assumption that there are no oil flow restrictions in the injector or they have all been fixed which of course is not the case and is the reason we do not see current hpops fizzing out..

To see this thru consider what we have seen in terms of RWHP There is a HP:fuel cc ratio range you see thrown around quite a bit in the P-pump and HEUI world its 2.3-2.5 HP per cc of fuel.

Is it not interesting that this seem to fit very well with the max HP we have seen in HEUI fuel only?

300cc x 2.3-2.5cc = 690-750HP Interesting coincidence isn't it!?!

TO BE VERY CLEAR: I am not saying more fuel can not be injected as it can just not inside this window where ideally needs to be (to keep it in piston bowl) if you want to keep that engine together and or make HP not just more smoke or for other reasons such as cooling egts as done with puller setups.

Obviously a Gen III with its gear pump can do even more but when you look at what it takes to get 400cc of fuel which is 2cc of oil run the numbers are you will see that standard dual hpops falls 25% short on needed displacement and that is maxed out.and then add in the real world decreases in efficiency that happen at the higher flow rates and the dynamics of the oil moving in and out of the injectors that maybe push it as well.

Next consider how much oil that is also needed for the engine lubrication and how much extra is needed to be pulled thru the HPOP res to support this system at these flow rates. What happens a higher RPM but lower demand i.e holding a gear longer but light throttle. The injectors are using very little of the oil so its all being bypassed but still the HPOP pumps are fixed to rpm so they are pushing all this oil thru those little IPR orifices and what about the LPOP that is to support this amount of oil flow to the HPOP res.

Consider that currently a dual HPOP is pulling 11.9cc per CSR of oil and we need a min of 25% more.

3000 rpm instead of 9.43 gallons per minute going thru the HPOP res it will now need to be 11.79 gallons per minute and to be frank I think we actually need more or that other issues in the system may start showing itself. Can even the DS HV LPOP even keep up with this demand and still hold need flow thru the engine or do we need a external gear or belt oil pump to support a HPOP system of this size?

It seems that if all the oil restriction issues were gone from out hybrid injectors and they kept the 5:1 ratio even the DS HV LPOP could not keep up with the demand needed by a hpop system that could supply the needed oil to run those injectors without oil side restrictions once we past this current limit threshold.

This also gives clear evidence why a using B code with standard Barrel and plunger ratios even if you could flow all the oil in and out without restriction could not be supported by even most big oil.

Take a 6:1 ratio for 0.4cc of fuel instead of 2cc we now need 2.4 cc or another 17% more so instead of 25% deficit its 42%

Point being we have oil supply issues and or oil need issues. This is why any new injector parts IMO need to have a lower B:p ratio and that other adjustments inside the injector can be made to still get higher resolution and thus injection quality.

Look what happens if we change that injector ratio to 4:1 or then 3:1
4:1 ratio

4:1 ratio = 1.6cc oil : 0.4cc fuel

3:1 ratio = 1.2cc oil : 0.4cc fuel

We are now in the range of oil displacement that dual HPOP and certainly GenIII setups can support for getting the fuel in a window for good clean power.

I wanted to bring this up as it has been brought up before once or twice over the last 15 yrs but it seems to be pushed aside, discounted, heads in the sand sort of response, and nothing done about it; just going with the status quo where we have not really advanced much of anywhere in terms of making more peak power. Yes we have come some way in tuning etc and learning how to keep the bottoms together better but we could have oh oh so much more if some changes were made to the hard parts such as the injectors rather than using OEM and just mix and matching maybe a bit of machine work here and there but never addressing the real fundamental problems holding this system back. With those changes 1000RWHP+ is without a doubt doable and with heavy NOS fogging could with some luck be knocking at 2K door.
Man, I started reading this post at 5 this morning and that is definitly some mental masterbaition. Reminds me of that old post of Hrt's. You and Jason should collaborate and write a white paper on the in and outs ot getting more power out of the 7.3 platform utilizing the heui system. It would be nice to have illustrations and graphs as some of us are more visual or even tactile learners then verbal.

Like I said a few weeks ago when I saw you posting again, I'm really appreciative of you facilitating more cerebral discussions of this old platform. Thanks again!

That being said, It would be cool if someone with some microcontroller programming would develope the hardware to implement a Bosch h pump on the 7.3. I think it would be killer to have a variable timing in line pump system available for the platform. I just need a little financial backing and a good EE and I could probably pull it off. Lol!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

superpsd

Reaction score
Still would be nice to use the Swamps common rail setup on a built Hypermax engine with the CGI block. 1000hp while being completely streetable and usable. It could happen. Just need about 100K to get started lol.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Still would be nice to use the Swamps common rail setup on a built Hypermax engine with the CGI block. 1000hp while being completely streetable and usable. It could happen. Just need about 100K to get started lol.
Cgi would be awesome regardless of what injection system you use. Couple that with a bed plate and good rods and you wouldn't have to pull so much damn fuel down low. You wouldn't need to rev it to the moon either to build the power Tarm is talking about.

I have a ludite view on things these days and prefer simpler solutions to get to the same end results. The bosch h pump would be sweet and custom injectors would be cheaper to manufacture and replace as they would be mechanical.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Tarm I undersrand your line of thinking as to try something "common" in terms of nozzle to test out a new concept. The only issue with that is you are taking a component that was found to work very well with a design you are attempting to completely change. Does that make sense? Like trying a 7.3 part on a 6l because it worked well on the 7.3.

I think in my own delusion, by quietly listening to hrt (jason) when he starts to talk about the new injector tech he is working on, I believe the next step isnt a massaging of the old hybrid inner workings. I think its a new thing designed to fit in the old system. That may be the hard part of getting them out, fitting the stuff in an old 7.3 injector body.

Jason discusses the nozzles being too small for being punched out past 200% with any predictable reliability. It leads me to believe his 800% nozzles are larger nozzles that require a bigger/different brass cup to receive them. Im not alluding to knowing a single concrete thing about his work but im only guessing based on things he's said. He's not one to just come out and spell things out unless its to clear up stuff we should already know at this point.

750/800% isnt gonna be a standard hybrid core massaged to the ragged edge. Hopefully he sees this and will lend some insight as to if these will run on a single pump, duals, or if oil on a level never before seen will be needed.
Your probably spot on with this thinking Ty, unless he is going with a lower injection ratio which would reduce the stress on the tip. Just to have some perspective, what is the max pressure that fuel sees at the tip of a mechanical injector fed with a p-pump?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
good read this afternoon!!!

good post tarm.. as usual!!

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

ja_cain

Reaction score
Otoh, I realize that IP might not be the deciding factor in cracked nozzles with these large orifices. It is probably heat.

superpsd

Reaction score
Cgi would be awesome regardless of what injection system you use. Couple that with a bed plate and good rods and you wouldn't have to pull so much damn fuel down low. You wouldn't need to rev it to the moon either to build the power Tarm is talking about.

I have a ludite view on things these days and prefer simpler solutions to get to the same end results. The bosch h pump would be sweet and custom injectors would be cheaper to manufacture and replace as they would be mechanical.

As common rail advances it will put better technology out to be used in time. I am waiting to see how the new Denso common rail gear does as its finding its way into platforms such as the 2017 duramax. Going back to advanced solenoid control is a great step with the new GS4 injectors line over the current piezoelectric capacitance complex high ⚡ injectors (250+V).

ja_cain

Reaction score
As common rail advances it will put better technology out to be used in time. I am waiting to see how the new Denso common rail gear does as its finding its way into platforms such as the 2017 duramax. Going back to advanced solenoid control is a great step with the new GS4 line over the current piezoelectric complex high ⚡ injectors (250+V).
Thanks for sharing the info! I need to look into the Denso technology.

Like Tarm said, there are so many of these motor out there that it would be a shame not to take advantage of that and develope a more efficient/better system for it. We are such a wasteful society as it is.

ja_cain

Reaction score
good read this afternoon!!!

good post tarm.. as usual!!

live life full throttle

I agree! It's guys like you that have the newer trucks/technology, but still have a sweet spot for these old dinosaurs that keep this chit going. I appreciate it man.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I agree! It's guys like you that have the newer trucks/technology, but still have a sweet spot for these old dinosaurs that keep this chit going. I appreciate it man.
if my dually wasn't having a mid life crisis right now I would still be in it and not this 6.7...

live life full throttle

ja_cain

Reaction score
if my dually wasn't having a mid life crisis right now I would still be in it and not this 6.7...

live life full throttle

I hear ya man. I don't want to be like the "cool" guys. Lol! It's just not real fun/interesting to conform.

superpsd

Reaction score
For
Thanks for sharing the info! I need to look into the Denso technology.

Like Tarm said, there are so many of these motor out there that it would be a shame not to take advantage of that and develope a more efficient/better system for it. We are such a wasteful society as it is.

I have done a bunch of research to figure out a way to fire off a 6.7 with 7.3 electronics. There are some hurdles and the 6.7 is an expensive engine. The general cost to get started has kept it as an idea. I want right build a single cab go anywhere 4x4 6.7 obs however it's a dream truck out of reach currently. Using the same concept the 7.3 electronics to fire common rail injectors would be sweet and affordable if you could make it work however there is still the hurdles of fabricating the sleeves high pressure fuel circuit and timing cover to drive a HPFP. The electronics side might be possible as the IDM might be able to be modified slightly to fire solenoid common rail injectors. As for firing piezoelectric you will need Swamps IDM8. The hardest part is then to figure out how to control the VCV and PCV to control rail pressure. I figured it may be possible to use the IPR output to control one of those and ICP sensor input for rail pressure feedback and rescale a few things using minotaur to make it work. When I talked to Swamps they agreed when I said the largest hurdle would be VCV and PCV aka rail control. Also the downside of the 7.3 electronics is a single injection event which leaves you without the advantage of multiple injection events to reduce cylinder pressures.

Last edited:

ja_cain

Reaction score
I have done a bunch of research to figure out a way to fire off a 6.7 with 7.3 electronics. There are some hurdles and the 6.7 is an expensive engine. The general cost to get started has kept it as an idea. Using the same concept the 7.3 electronics to fire common rail injectors would be sweet and affordable if you could make it work however there is still the hurdles of fabricating the sleeves high pressure fuel circuit and timing cover to drive a HPFP. The electronics side might be possible as the IDM might be able to be modified slightly to fire solenoid common rail injectors. As for firing piezoelectric you will need Swamps IDM8.
How much money do you need to make it happen? You know, I have a friend on here that thinks along.the same lines of you. I bet if you, him and Charles got together with a little bit of capital it would happen. Throw Jason and Tarm in there as consultants and we.could blow this platform up. Like I said, how much money do you need? Lol!

superpsd

Reaction score
Probably not going to happen lol. Fun to think about and learn about. I rather pay my house off than build an expensive high hp 7.3 currently. Maybe some day down the road there may be more options. I do keep my eye out for a good low prices complete good running 7.3 and if I find one I would quickly swoop it up and build a test stand for it to do some torture experimentation. The 7.3 is not dead its still a very alive platform. I am sure more is to come in time.

Last edited:

ja_cain

Reaction score
Probably not going to happen lol. Fun to think about and learn about. I rather pay my house off than build an expensive high hp 7.3 currently. Maybe some day down the road there may be more options. I do keep my eye out for a good low prices complete good running 7.3 and if I find one I would quickly swoop it up and build a test stand for it to do some torture experimentation. The 7.3 is not dead its still a very alive platform. I am sure more is to come in time.
Like I said, how much money do you think you would need to make it happen? Do you want to wait or do you want to be the one to make it happen? How confident are you that you could make it happen of you just had the capital? People give away money for much more risky/stupid business ventures all the time. Some times an individual just needs that one break/opportunity to make it happen. I might be/know an individual that could make it happen. I am passionate about this stuff, but just don't have the time to pursue it the way I want.to right now. There are other people out there that do have that opportunity, but just don't have the capital. If only they had a modest amount of money to get them going they could do great things. Lol!

superpsd

Reaction score
I'm not the guy lol. I have too many other projects and hobbies, a family, career etc etc. I'm not even done playing with HEUI yet and heui does what I need. Not that even for a lowly 400-500 hp a common rail 7.3 would be sweet. Just not currently practical. Lots of machining and tinkering and testing. I don't even want to guess how long and how much Swamps has dumped into R&D of the common rail 7.3 they built already. It's likely over 100K easy once you total up labor materials etc. Not to mention the engine dyno and sophisticated test equipment you need to see if you are making changes in the right direction.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I hear ya man. I don't want to be like the "cool" guys. Lol! It's just not real fun/interesting to conform.

I guess it depends on what you're trying to do. I quietly drove cr silverados since 07 and then full time from 09 onward. As my truck was modified, lifted, and high mileage it was beginning to test me on the days i ran outside, fired it up, and thought i was just gonna leave lol.

Id have lost my sanity if i tried to daily my truck all these years. I have been for six months and its doing well. Its turnkey reliable *knock wood*.

There are days id like to have a low mile lmm or lml with low miles and some tunes. The new trucks are great but seem expensive to drive on the daily. Maintenance, etc.

TARM

Reaction score
Ty,

I understand that. But its good you mention it. My point was to validate the effects of a lower BP ratio.

As for comnon rail tech its beholden to rail pressure and +injector fuel path restrictions. They can always get bigger pumps that can displace more fuel thus holding the 35K psi the issue is the injector you end up having to redesgin it to remove those restrictions. But without a doubt CR has really took everything by storm. You have some classes now that state no CR.

The point is that it not that far away to fix the injector issues. I have spoken a back and forth with Jason. He is heads and tails way ahead of me in experience and overall knowledge but I think we are on close to the same page of what the issues are and need to be done.

It would be cool to see what you guys think are needed in the injector to allow it to both make more HP but at the same time still allow it to have the resolution to be streetable. I say this last part as there are some trade offs unless other parts of the injector are addressed that both have a positive peak HP and low end quality effect.

WE need a lower ratio BP as we really want to allow our current big oil HPOP to not need to to be redeisgned. Now with a lower ratio we lose some bottom end resolution so that needs to be brought up. That sort of has a connection to where is the largest part of the oil flow restriction from inside the injector. That should be enough to get things going in terms of discussion.

Latest posts

Members online