P0118 Code

Petro

Reaction score
Ran into a little catch today on a customer's pickup. 2000 F350 7.3 ZF6 4x4. Truck came in and the owner said it had a slight miss and a check engine light. I hooked up a scanner found a fault code for number 8, an IDM code and a P0118 code for coolant temp sensor high input. Pulled the drivers valve cover, swapped out the uvch and that fixed the #8 contribution code and IDM code. So I started on the temp sensor by swapping out the sensor, then swapping out the entire engine harness. Still throwing the code with the check engine light on but the gauge itself is working. As far as I know, it always has.
Now according to what I've read, only late model (late 01 and up) manual trans trucks use the coolant temp sensor to give the pcm input, in automatic trucks the sensor gives input straight to the gauge cluster with no input at all to the pcm. I also read that 01 or 02s and up manual transmission trucks have two water temp sensors, one for the gauge cluster and one for the pcm, this truck only has one which should be correct from what I've been reading. Why would the pcm be throwing a code for high input to the temp sensor if it has no connectivity to a water temp sensor? Anyone run into this before? According to everything I've read, a 2000 year truck, a January of 2000 built one at that, shouldn't have any input going to the pcm from a water temp sensor. I'm at a little bit of a loss. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Agreed. Some pcms look for 2 ect sensors and almost always only on manual trans trucks.

Latest posts

Members online