Problem starting when hot!!!

Reaction score
Awesome. Do I just pour all of that stuff in it?? Cause I don't want to replace my oil again since I just did it.

Sent from my iPhone

2000f350

Reaction score
I was running rotell t6 5-40. This started midway thru that oil change. Been chasing the problem for awhile. Now im running 15-40 castrol tection. Only reason I tried that is it was on sale for $11.99 a gallon and I needed an oil change anyway. No change in the way the truck runs. Mine runs fine once it starts. And it always starts up. If I turn the key on and let my fuel pump run for a few seconds longer that I think it should need (engine hot, glow plugs dont turn on) my led on the glow plug relay doesnt turn on which tells me the engine is warm. It fires right up. My truck might be a little different though as my fuel pump isnt powered by the pcm. (Its the only thing I couldnt figure out why it wouldnt get power theu pcm after my v10 to 7.3 conversion) so my pump is wired like how the obs guys wire theirs for e-fuel/regulated return.

Reaction score
So I will try the cold water trick. And if my hpop is the problem then how come it went out so soon?? I mean it has only been in there for a year maybe less. Just kindof is weird I guess.

Sent from my iPhone

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
If it is the pump, give Joey a call. He stands behind his products.
this^^^

the t500 is a reman right? so its possible that when it was worked over that it was still in spec and just the luck of the draw. I think anyway. so dont hold that against me...

live life full throttle

Strokersace

Reaction score
Pressure test each head individually. Takes all electrical and hpop out of it. If they hold fine, look at pump. If they don't, then you know its not the pump and something in the heads.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

2000f350

Reaction score
this may be completely off subject. but has anyone ever taken their "short circuit valve" out of the block to inspect and clean it? I was reading about someone on psn that had a very strange problem and ended up having a piece of silicone stuck in this short circuit valve causing all kinds of strange problems. Basically this valve is one of the many oil bypass valves in these engines. If it is easy to access i may try removing mine and inspect it to make sure it doesnt have crud in it. I also read to stretch the spring ever so lightly to help it not relieve oil pressure as early.

Last edited:

2000f350

Reaction score
here is a pic of where the valve is located. drivers side of the block by the hpop reservoir. I have a t444e international engine from a school bus in my truck so I have the cast iron reservoir. Mine looks like i may be able to get it out without removing the reservoir but figured i would check with members first before i make a mess. I do have regulated return so not having the fuel bowl there looks like it would help.
if I do have to remove the hpop reservoir, im guessing I have to take the hpop out? and the gear driven power steering pump that im using?(mounted just above the hpop in reservoir on international engines)

Attachments

• 7.3 short circuit valve.jpg
    7.3 short circuit valve.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 49

2000f350

Reaction score
International calls it a short circuit valve. In all actuality it is an oil pressure bypass valve. Its in the top of the block. Look at the diagram I posted. Its the part in the square and goes into the front top section of the block. Its part of the oiling system.
I assure you I am not smoking anything.

2000f350

Reaction score
Here is a different picture for you where it is referred as an anti-drainback valve

Attachments

• 2014-09-02-22-08-30--1881601593.jpeg
    2014-09-02-22-08-30--1881601593.jpeg
    12.2 KB · Views: 59
Reaction score
No I haven't had time to check it out. I just got done rebuilding my turbo now I will focus on figuring this out. I will keep you guys posted.

Sent from my iPhone

Reaction score
Where is the ipr located?? I know my injectors are shot im thinking that that's my your start problem. But still not sure.