Amp Step problem

TexAg56

Reaction score
Im having issue with my passenger amp step. Like a month after I installed them the passenger step would randomly go up and down by it self. well I was really busy with work at that time and instead of trying to make better connections with the wires I just unplugged it until I could find time to mess with it. (Dumb/Lazy yes I know) Unfortunately this was a few months later. Well I finally decided to check the connection on the wires and made sure they were all getting good connection. Now my passenger step wont work at all. Before it would work when I open the door, but it would also work even when I didn't open the door lol. I sprayed the connection with electrical connection cleaner spray. Anyone have an idea what could have happened? Don't see how the motor could be ruined. The connection plug doesn't look bad either.

Swampfox

Reaction score
It is possible that the motor could be the issue. Are yours hard wired or the obd port? Amp's customer service is awesome too, they replaced one of the motors on my 06 duramax and a few little parts recently that I needed with no charge. The steps have a 5 year warranty according to the website.

cbrown

Reaction score
Most likely the controller. Mine does it too, will come out to the garage and find the passenger side step down. Opening and closing the door will not send it back up. Usually unplugging the controller and then plugging it back in works.

sootie

Reaction score
Im having issue with my passenger amp step. Like a month after I installed them the passenger step would randomly go up and down by it self. well I was really busy with work at that time and instead of trying to make better connections with the wires I just unplugged it until I could find time to mess with it. (Dumb/Lazy yes I know) Unfortunately this was a few months later. Well I finally decided to check the connection on the wires and made sure they were all getting good connection. Now my passenger step wont work at all. Before it would work when I open the door, but it would also work even when I didn't open the door lol. I sprayed the connection with electrical connection cleaner spray. Anyone have an idea what could have happened? Don't see how the motor could be ruined. The connection plug doesn't look bad either.

If your motor is super hot when the step isnt functioning correctly, it is the controller.

stacked6.7

Reaction score
Just had a similar issue with my parents F150. Not sure if the steps Ford supplies are amp steps or not. But regardless there was just a sensor that had some dirt packed in it. Cleaned it and now they work great. I think it was some sort of eye, almost like a garage door.

cousincleatus

Reaction score
I had the same problem it was the passenger side door switch it was sticking . It was a royal pain in the A$$ to get out lubed it up with some dielectric grease no more problem.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.