2012 with 2015+ turbo swap - having issues

Reaction score
I see what you mean. I've definitely come to the conclusion with this setup that you either love it or hate it. I think you're right in wanting a vgt setup for city driving as they are definitely snappier. I find that this setup isn't snappy but has lots of low end to get me up to speed and going.

sootie

Reaction score
I see what you mean. I've definitely come to the conclusion with this setup that you either love it or hate it. I think you're right in wanting a vgt setup for city driving as they are definitely snappier. I find that this setup isn't snappy but has lots of low end to get me up to speed and going.

difference is where you are it is dead flat, virtually no stop and go traffic, and reasonably low elevation. A single can be driven around quite easily in those circumstances.

f100cleveland

Reaction score
Ok, sorry for the delay. First I want to state that what my issues are might be specific to my truck. So many others run this turbo with just basic files without needing revisions and they run awesome. I have had enough tunes from different vendors now that there is some oddity with my truck (just like a few of the others in this thread). But, part of my issue after talking with some people is that my truck registers 0 torque under like 1500-1700 rpms. So after that, my truck realizes whats going on and takes off like crazy. BUT, Mike @ No Limits set me up with a SCT SOTF tune from AS/GH and said try it, see if it works. Now I don't know what they do differently in their tuning, but it actually reads tq at idle now!!!! I pulled out 36' enclosed goose on Friday and was very very happy with how it was working. I could actually pull it in 6th gear and it was running 800-900* instead of the 1100-1300* that it did before, unless I kicked it down to 5th so it would command tq. The odd thing now is what does AS/GH do with their SCT tuning that basically no one else does?

But, guys with 15 turbos and the nl stage 2 intake, when letting off or on shifts, do you hear a lot of turbo talkback thru the intake? I notice it on some tunes but not others. Its not a whistle or anything like that, its more of a snuffing type sound or kinda a growl.

Also, PSP told me that instead of trying to tune in throttle response, esp with the nl stage 2, they recommend putting in the BD diesel acclerator pedal module or whatever it is. Is that something you guys have tried or recommend doing?

dsmracing1

Reaction score
Ok, sorry for the delay. First I want to state that what my issues are might be specific to my truck. So many others run this turbo with just basic files without needing revisions and they run awesome. I have had enough tunes from different vendors now that there is some oddity with my truck (just like a few of the others in this thread). But, part of my issue after talking with some people is that my truck registers 0 torque under like 1500-1700 rpms. So after that, my truck realizes whats going on and takes off like crazy. BUT, Mike @ No Limits set me up with a SCT SOTF tune from AS/GH and said try it, see if it works. Now I don't know what they do differently in their tuning, but it actually reads tq at idle now!!!! I pulled out 36' enclosed goose on Friday and was very very happy with how it was working. I could actually pull it in 6th gear and it was running 800-900* instead of the 1100-1300* that it did before, unless I kicked it down to 5th so it would command tq. The odd thing now is what does AS/GH do with their SCT tuning that basically no one else does?

But, guys with 15 turbos and the nl stage 2 intake, when letting off or on shifts, do you hear a lot of turbo talkback thru the intake? I notice it on some tunes but not others. Its not a whistle or anything like that, its more of a snuffing type sound or kinda a growl.

Also, PSP told me that instead of trying to tune in throttle response, esp with the nl stage 2, they recommend putting in the BD diesel acclerator pedal module or whatever it is. Is that something you guys have tried or recommend doing?

Glad to hear you are figuring things out. I mean this with all due respect but you really shouldn't be towing in 6th gear and lugging the engine at 1500-1700 RPM unless you not towing. I lock 6th gear out when I hook up to my toy hauler right away and pull in 5th.

It seems to be a characteristic of a bigger turbo or at least the streetmax when lugging to start to making the noises you speak of with the NL stage 2. I get the same thing when the turbo and engine are below a happy rpm for everything to work in unison. I get the said noises when shifting too etc but nowhere near as bad when the engine is lugging though. I run a non VGT trans file to keep the turbo ready to party at all times lol. Have you tried running a non VGT trans file ??

f100cleveland

Reaction score
Glad to hear you are figuring things out. I mean this with all due respect but you really shouldn't be towing in 6th gear and lugging the engine at 1500-1700 RPM unless you not towing. I lock 6th gear out when I hook up to my toy hauler right away and pull in 5th.

It seems to be a characteristic of a bigger turbo or at least the streetmax when lugging to start to making the noises you speak of with the NL stage 2. I get the same thing when the turbo and engine are below a happy rpm for everything to work in unison. I get the said noises when shifting too etc but nowhere near as bad when the engine is lugging though. I run a non VGT trans file to keep the turbo ready to party at all times lol. Have you tried running a non VGT trans file ??

I should've been more clear. I do not pull the trailer in 6th gear in that 1500-1700 rpm range. Even above that rpm with the other files, with a trailer, it seemed like it took 2200ish rpms for it to clear up. This AS/GH tune is a different animal, at 1900-2000 rpm it cruises just fine with the big trailer. Now add it a good head or sidewind and I'm sure I'll be back down into 5th where I was before.

As for non-vgt trans tune, thats exactly what I did also when using the H&S. StreetmaxR seemed to like being treated just like a non-vgt turbo did.

Ok, glad I'm not the only one having the odd noises when getting way under the turbo.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
I should've been more clear. I do not pull the trailer in 6th gear in that 1500-1700 rpm range. Even above that rpm with the other files, with a trailer, it seemed like it took 2200ish rpms for it to clear up. This AS/GH tune is a different animal, at 1900-2000 rpm it cruises just fine with the big trailer. Now add it a good head or sidewind and I'm sure I'll be back down into 5th where I was before.

As for non-vgt trans tune, thats exactly what I did also when using the H&S. StreetmaxR seemed to like being treated just like a non-vgt turbo did.

Ok, glad I'm not the only one having the odd noises when getting way under the turbo.

Ahh gotcha. Yes, it should be more than happy at 2200. I'm very happy at 1900 with a 12K bumper pull behind me. Yes they do like being in a little higher rpm, especially since our stock turbos belong on a Volkswagen Jetta haha. Adding dual fuelers makes it spool just like the stock turbo I must say. Crazy how the streetmax loves more fuel and reacts very well to it...

Reaction score
I used the BD accelerator module with IDP tunes and the cruise wouldn't work so I removed it. Haven't tried it with my new tunes.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
This guy is a class act! Thanks Mike. I may reinstall the accelerator module to check it with the current tunes I'm running.

i just can't see it doing anything that tuning couldn't. it can't fix the low end fueling or the spoolup limitations of the turbo .

f100cleveland

Reaction score
Ok, update again now that the weather has turned to ****. Its now mid 30's and truck has absolutely no throttle response off idle, but once its rolling, its fine. I can feel the unchoke point very drastically again on a tune that was not having any issues when it was 55-60+*. So, since I have the SOTF switch hooked into the CAC, I put one of the known good H&S tunes in (warm weather) on and played around with the switch since it'll change from -40 to 260* or whatever, and no change in how it drove. But obviously this thing is super temp dependent. I can log this thing with Forscan but what should I look at to see if something looks way off?