block fill? yes or no

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Didn't Chuckie have his block filled to within an inch or so of the top in his red truck?

However high he filled, I remember him saying it ran about 210 on the street. So, not nice and cool, but not to much higher than the 203* thermostat nets you, that some guys swear by.

golfer

Reaction score
when we do a fill, we leave @ 2" of unfilled area at the top of the block for coolant to circulate to remove the heat from the combustion event. As well as making provisions for coolant to circulate in/out of the front cover & in/out of the oil cooler.

02BigD

Reaction score
Didn't Chuckie have his block filled to within an inch or so of the top in his red truck?

However high he filled, I remember him saying it ran about 210 on the street. So, not nice and cool, but not to much higher than the 203* thermostat nets you, that some guys swear by.

Oil or Coolant temp?

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
is filling something that any guy with a mixer can do in his shop or is there a certain process as far as prepping and finishing ?

I'm pretty sure it should be done pre cylinder hone. I don't know that it'd deflect the cylinder walls as it sets, but I'd rather not wonder/worry about it myself.

Oil or Coolant temp?

Coolant, and it's been a while... but I think he was talking about his target EOT being within 10* of ECT. When it wasn't, he cleaned the cooler.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Not sure how excited I'd be with 220 EOT personally...

Although I've seen that once or twice towing hard on the interstate during the summer.

obspsd

Reaction score
All Good Info Guys! I'm Gonna Fill 2 Inches From The Top. Thank You For The knowledge

superstroker99

Reaction score
Yes fill it or it will twist and it will crack down the right hand side and it will blow a head gasket.... just don't forget about a water port to the oil cooler

obspsd

Reaction score
Ok, Just Did A Quick Google Search And Found Hard Block, Embecco 885, And An Epoxy. WhatDoYouGuys Recommend

powerstrokenstang

Reaction score
My hard block filled block the filler got all cracked up. The embeco filled one is still doing great. Embeco has alot of metal in it so it acts alot like the block with temps. Plus its about $80 for a 50lbs bag so pretty cheap. I put about 30lbs in mine and its 3/4" from top so two people could split a bag really.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Filler got cracked up?

I think a girdle and torque plate should be installed when filling the block.

powerstrokenstang

Reaction score
yup on pass side. I guess it couldn take the heat the other side didn crack and im guessing cause the oil cooler was there so it had more coolant flow. yea I torque down girdle and heads and let it sit a few days. that embeco I let sit for a week to cure good and hard.

turner97

Reaction score
So I have a block that just got done at machine shop. And a friend and I started talking about this because my last engine cracked a cylinder wall. This truck is my dad/tow pig I haul a 5th wheel with boat weighing around 20k total. My question is can I do a partial fill on my block after it was just machined and will it be fine with towing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online