Downside to Hypermax T4i kit?

Reaction score
Most likely going away from the stock turbo set up on my OBS. Looking at S366 style turbos, was thinking QSSB, but now that has evolved to something newer tech. The mount kit is what I'm thinking about in this post.
As I see it the downside to the Hypermax kit is that is is T4i, which puts some limitation on exhaust housings, though Pius seems to have that covered, and the donuts. That is the biggest issue for me. I think Carson Stauffer builds uppipes with bellows for the Hypermax kit, so that could be resolved at adittional cost.

Anyone have any other downside to Hypermax kit, other than cost? Or an upside to consider?

Reaction score
Just remembered another thing I don't like about the Hypermax kit.
The limitation on tubos due to the T4i flange is the obvious.

I don't like the corrugated drain tube. I'm sure it came from an L10 Cummins, same as the H2e. I have plenty of L10's and more than enough problems with the corrugated drain tubes. The later ones got upgraded.

Anyone seen an upgraded turbo drain tube for a Hypermax mount?

Reaction score
Make your own... Be it a mount kit or a drain line.
Something I have considered. Well within my comfort zone to do. I have done a turbo set up that "couldn't be done" to put an 8V92 Detriot into a cab it "just won't fit!" I have friends and business contacts that are more than capible of any help I could need. One master mechanic (and I don't use the term lightly) that has worked both with and for me for 30 years. He has a machine shop in his garage and builds running steam and gasoline engines from raw castings, an routinely makes parts for projects. Another specializes in machine and welding jobs no one knows how to tackle. Giant, complex, bent, busted, impossible timeline, that is where he's at. He loves challenges. There are 2 problems with doing it myself: I'm too detail oriented so I would have way too much time into it, and I don't have the time. Also need a mock up engine I don't have at the moment.

Best bet is to buy something that is the best all around compomise and get it on there. If not this will be the second summer I didn't make it to the high country!

CSIPSD

Reaction score
What are the odds a guy could build a mount that would use the stock down pipe?

Its easy with a short scroll snail.

Why in the world would you want to use a stock down pipe?

I believe what Chase is saying is a stock shaped down pipe. Be it a 3" obs or a 4" SD...

I dont see a down side to it. Unless your wanting to go with two turbos. Otherwise I think its slick as hell and what I planned to do with mine, but the H2e uses a long scroll.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Joe is right... I meant the down pipe that comes with an aftermarket exhaust kit, not the retarded stock OBS flat down pipe. I had a brain fart...
Why? One less thing to buy or fab up.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Joe is right... I meant the down pipe that comes with an aftermarket exhaust kit, not the retarded stock OBS flat down pipe. I had a brain fart...
Why? One less thing to buy or fab up.

Can it be done? Sure. But you have to ask yourself what aspects of the design are you willing to compromise on to achieve that goal. You are completely dictating turbo location and hence the mount design, IC plumbing design, intake design, up pipe design, etc.... completely arbitralily on the design of an OEM part based on the premise that you want to fab one less thing. Out of everything the down pipe is one of the easiest things to fabricate.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Can it be done? Sure. But you have to ask yourself what aspects of the design are you willing to compromise on to achieve that goal. You are completely dictating turbo location and hence the mount design, IC plumbing design, intake design, up pipe design, etc.... completely arbitralily on the design of an OEM part based on the premise that you want to fab one less thing. Out of everything the down pipe is one of the easiest things to fabricate.

I disagree... Its exceedingly easy to build a jig, bolt the turbo to the down pipe and build a kit... Rather then try and square the turbo to the motor and then try and raise, shift or hope the down pipe doesn't hit anything once in the doghouse.

Anything with a short scroll is easy, I just could not clock the long scroll H2e properly.

Last edited:

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
There is a reason that I fab downpipes and IC pipes while on the truck - it is truly one of the few ways to make a one off kit and make sure everything fits. Even if I might take a best guess at something - it never gets more than tacked together without being test fit for clearance. I guess I might go home and dig out a 4" downpipe and see how far off an S400 or a GT42 or a Sledgehammer turbo might fit with using one. I can picture that its truly worth the hassle of making a jig to hold the down pipe.... while I'm doing that I could have just optimized and built the mount and then took the time and effort to put into a jig and focused that on doing the downpipe.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
There is a reason that I fab downpipes and IC pipes while on the truck - it is truly one of the few ways to make a one off kit and make sure everything fits. Even if I might take a best guess at something - it never gets more than tacked together without being test fit for clearance. I guess I might go home and dig out a 4" downpipe and see how far off an S400 or a GT42 or a Sledgehammer turbo might fit with using one. I can picture that its truly worth the hassle of making a jig to hold the down pipe.... while I'm doing that I could have just optimized and built the mount and then took the time and effort to put into a jig and focused that on doing the downpipe.

The stuff I build is built off my mock up motor and trans, just makes it easy with the down pipe jig.

428467_457872267557829_1101049249_n.jpg

cjfarm11

Reaction score
Im running the T4i mount with a HFSB (GQSSB) and i like the turbo and the bellowed up-pipes from Carson Stauffer but the drain tube is a joke so i just built my own and everthing is running great.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
I am going to need all the advice for fabbing up a turbo mount I can get. I plan on doing the uppipes and mount with engine out, then work on intercooler and down pipe with engine in truck.