Crappy fuel mileage.

joestroo

Reaction score
Hey guy's, new to the Army! Having a little issue, hope you guys can give me some ideas.

I bit of back story...I took my truck in for an oil change and fuel filters, and to get a whine from under the hood checked out. Turned out i had a bad turbo, so the shop i took it to changed the fuel filters and i took it to Ford to replace the turbo on warranty. I had 2 week worth of warranty left!! Anyway, when i got the truck back, i took to the shop i normally deal with for maintenance and they switched me over to Amsoil, like i wanted to. After all this was done, I've noticed a pretty big drop in mileage, i've dropped 40-50 miles per tank. Anyone have any idea's what could be going on?? Think Ford replaced it with a bigger turbo, or is the flash to reason for the drop?? Any help would be great.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I assume the truck is a short bed.
Lets say you are filling up with 25 Gallons.
Assume you used to drive 350 per tank. Thats 14 mpg.
You are in the 300 range now. Thats 12 mpg.
My truck can very that much with speed.
But like above, new turbo, using more air uses more fuel.

joestroo

Reaction score
Truck is 100% stock, and yes it's a short box. I can't hear any leaks anywhere, I kinda figured it was the bigger turbo, truck has more power, that's for sure. Just wanted to make sure it was nothing I needed to worry about. Might be time to find some cash and ****** it!

Thanks for the responses.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
Can you confirm that they upgraded the turbo. Are there two intakes going into the turbo or just one? If they did upgrade to a 15+ turbo then chances are it will use more fuel like mentioned...

Jomax

Reaction score
Maybe you're running it harder?

And btw ******** it won't really make it have way better MPG. I actually lost mpg or get the same..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jacob @ No Limit

Reaction score
Truck is 100% stock, and yes it's a short box. I can't hear any leaks anywhere, I kinda figured it was the bigger turbo, truck has more power, that's for sure. Just wanted to make sure it was nothing I needed to worry about. Might be time to find some cash and ****** it!

Thanks for the responses.

Doubtful it's a bigger turbo. It is just working properly now. I doubt they put anything but a 11-14 style sst turbo back on it.

joestroo

Reaction score
Can you confirm that they upgraded the turbo. Are there two intakes going into the turbo or just one? If they did upgrade to a 15+ turbo then chances are it will use more fuel like mentioned...

From what I can see, I don't think its a 2015 turbo. I'm no mechanic by any means, but I don't see two intakes.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
From what I can see, I don't think its a 2015 turbo. I'm no mechanic by any means, but I don't see two intakes.

I should have explained better. If it had just one intake Inlet then it will be a 15+ turbo. If there are two then it is an 11-14 style turbo... If you have just one then you are doing good for warranty work!

joestroo

Reaction score
I should have explained better. If it had just one intake Inlet then it will be a 15+ turbo. If there are two then it is an 11-14 style turbo... If you have just one then you are doing good for warranty work!

Well, I finally found my invoice for the new turbo. It is an upgrade from the old one, but it's not a 2015. I'm pretty sure it's a bigger turbo thou, seem to have more power, I'm guessing that's the reason for the drop in mileage.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Black AOD

Reaction score
Not to be rude but does anybody really drive a diesel and expect decent gas mileage? I sure don't.

Squat and Poot

Reaction score
Well, I finally found my invoice for the new turbo. It is an upgrade from the old one, but it's not a 2015.

Part # from the invoice? How do you know it's an upgrade?

if you wanted to change the turbo from anything but the 11-14 sst turbo then it would have to have a retrofit to accommodate it.

joestroo

Reaction score
Part # from the invoice? How do you know it's an upgrade?

if you wanted to change the turbo from anything but the 11-14 sst turbo then it would have to have a retrofit to accommodate it.

Ya I found the part number on the invoice. bc3z-6k682-c was the part number on the invoice. Did a search on the internet for the stock turbo in 2011, its part number was bc3z-6k682-a. Its upgraded, but im sure it's nothing to significant. Still says 2011-2014 years. I should have said "updated" not "upgraded" turbo! LOL

Last edited:

JRLott

Reaction score
Isn't that the difference in the 11-12 turbo and their tendency to eat themselves due to ceramic bearings abs the 13-14? I'd bet the mileage drop was a reflash.

joestroo

Reaction score
Isn't that the difference in the 11-12 turbo and their tendency to eat themselves due to ceramic bearings abs the 13-14? I'd bet the mileage drop was a reflash.

I wondered about that too, but the Ford guy said "No No!" It sucks, I'm more worried that there's something wrong. Maybe I'm ok and this is just how it is.

JRLott

Reaction score
Hmmm. Strange. I'm gonna grab my BS flag and wave the crap outta it on the reflash, unless someone with a lot more knowledge on the later turbos comes along. I doubt I'll get to wave it very long as there are some fairly knowledgeable people on here...and sootie.

JRLott

Reaction score
As in dealer isn't telling you the truth...hope that was clear about the reflash. This is also assuming the install was done correctly and none of the stuff those knowledgeable fellers said above is the issue. I'd say look at the install first as you know they messed with it. Then the tune since they deny it and you'd probably be hard pressed to prove it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online