Going through alternators! Why?

97stoker350

Reaction score
I have been through 5 alternators in 2 years, they are advance alternators made in Taiwan but I would think they'd last longer than that. Been looking at a mean green or DC power. I just don't want to drop the coin on a nice one and ruin it because something is wrong with the wiring or truck. Any suggestions to what I should check?

ford_trck

Reaction score
I went through a string of luck like that on advanced alternators a few years ago. It was late at night it went out and they were the only place close and open. I went through 3 in a year. One only lasted 5 miles... After that I have had the one on the truck for 4 years now.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
its hit and miss with those alternators. spend the coin or put up with swapping them. i have advanced auto alternators on 3 7.3s. all work fine. one over charges a lil but nothing to worry about.

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

mikeeg02

Reaction score
Find a local shop that actually in house rebuilds them. I see you're in PA, there's a place in Clearfield called "buds electric" I got a new (not rebuilt, so no core) one from Napa when I was in Richmond, and had my old one rebuilt by them and it was maybe $45. But they will actually tell you what parts need fixed. My company has been doing business with them for 20 years now. They are a very reputable company, and work on all kinda of alternators, they know their sh!t.

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
Took 5 from advance for my OBS, selling so I wasn't gonna pay for a motorcraft. Guy told me he's seen more than that many replacements to find one good one for a single person. He also said every so often they'd get a batch in where none of them come back to warranty them.

97stoker350

Reaction score
I was more looking toward upgrading to get more amps since I will be adding more electronics down the road, what brand do u guys recommend?

97stoker350

Reaction score
Getting a sub 600watt, putting fog lights on and getting a projector retrofit eventually. Basically I don't ever wanna have to worry about my Batts going dead unless they are bad

mikeeg02

Reaction score
The stock ones will make ~60-75 Amps at idle. Usually 110-130 amps running. You could get a smaller pulley. And I actually have some leftover from another project you could try first. That 600w amp is probably fused at 40 amps. So on hits it shouldn't much exceed that. A pair of 100watt bulbs draw ~8-9 amps each. Hid projectors are usually 35 or 55 watts. Realistically, a smaller pulley on a stock alternator would do what you want. If you got a good stock replacement. But if you want more, just make sure you specify it's a diesel application, and that you want to know how much current it produces at idle. I'll look up tomorrow where I've bought aftermarket ones before. But stock ones usually last longest. When properly rebuilt.

Latest posts

Members online