Crappy fuel mileage.

joestroo

Reaction score
As in dealer isn't telling you the truth...hope that was clear about the reflash. This is also assuming the install was done correctly and none of the stuff those knowledgeable fellers said above is the issue. I'd say look at the install first as you know they messed with it. Then the tune since they deny it and you'd probably be hard pressed to prove it.

I don't see, or hear any leaks. The truck runs strong, and has more power than before. Only thing I could do would be call and give them a hard time about the flash, which I may have to do.

Notneb

Reaction score
Im gonna chalk this up to: Your truck works now and you're in the go fast pedal a little more enjoying the power. You mentioned the fuel filters got replaced as well, I'd be willing to bet that plus new working turbo = slightly less mileage but slightly more fun/power.

Honestly I'd monitor it for 1000 miles or so, keep detailed hand calcs, and then get back to us.

joestroo

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses, all good thoughts and I will keep them in mind. I didn't think I drove any different, at 38 years old I figured I was out on the hot rodding stage of my life.......then again it's been a few year sense I was behind the wheel of a powerstroke! It may be the power has gone to my head....or should I say right foot! LOL

Thanks again guys

dsmracing1

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses, all good thoughts and I will keep them in mind. I didn't think I drove any different, at 38 years old I figured I was out on the hot rodding stage of my life.......then again it's been a few year sense I was behind the wheel of a powerstroke! It may be the power has gone to my head....or should I say right foot! LOL

Thanks again guys

too many pilsners haha. :pint:

Powerstroked6.7

Reaction score
With all my mods I get 15.2 if I'm easy on it 13.8 when I'm towing those are the good number's when it was bone stock 18-20

Jomax

Reaction score
Mild mod, 15-18mpg empty, 8-10 pulling the toyhauler

Speed will make a huge difference. 80 down to 75 will save a lot of fuel.

So going 85mph and getting 14.5 is about normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bhudson

Reaction score
My '16 fx4 gets 15.6. It's stock right now and it's on 20s. I guess that's pretty good considering my right foot is heavy

Jomax

Reaction score
My '16 fx4 gets 15.6. It's stock right now and it's on 20s. I guess that's pretty good considering my right foot is heavy

It's been proven people get better mpg stock with the DPEF

tbsimmons

Reaction score
It's been proven people get better mpg stock with the DPEF

Really.
That sucks. I was getting ready to pull the trigger for better mileage. Truck has enough for what I use it for but towing sucks. I would be happy with your mileage. I get about 10 towing going with minor grades here and there.
Beach and back (which is a HARD pull both ways) I get about 8.
The 6.4 got 6.5-7 to the beach and back, freeway like above I got about the same, 10 but had to drive slower to get that.

JRLott

Reaction score

I was seeing between 15 and 15.6 with factory tires running 80-85 before it went to Jenny Craig. Hand calculated. It runs in the 17-17.9 range now with factory tires and 80-85. The difference is how much town driving I do or construction zones I hit where we do the 0-60-0 drag races.

I've never managed to drive more than 75 miles below 80mph to see if it gets better.

JRLott

Reaction score
It's been proven people get better mpg stock with the DPEF.

This has not been my experience at all. Mine averaged 13.97 mpg in its first 5,000 miles. Four All highway runs were 14.4, 15.3, 15.6, and 15.
Post weight loss it has averaged 15 mpg over 13,000 miles. Eight all highway runs were 17.6, 17.2, 16.4, 17.4, 17.9, 16.6, 16.1, and 16.6. The last two were with a NL2 intake and leveling kit. Together they seem to have hurt mileage a bit, both highway and town.

Will the weight loss and pay for itself in fuel savings? Yes...in a metric sh!t ton of miles. Is it worth it? Fv(kin right.

ETA: sorry about the slight misinformation in my previous post. It's much easier to see on a computer in excel format than in the Gas Cubby app.

Last edited:

Jomax

Reaction score
This has not been my experience at all. Mine averaged 13.97 mpg in its first 5,000 miles. Four All highway runs were 14.4, 15.3, 15.6, and 15.
Post weight loss it has averaged 15 mpg over 13,000 miles. Eight all highway runs were 17.6, 17.2, 16.4, 17.4, 17.9, 16.6, 16.1, and 16.6. The last two were with a NL2 intake and leveling kit. Together they seem to have hurt mileage a bit, both highway and town.

Will the weight loss and pay for itself in fuel savings? Yes...in a metric sh!t ton of miles. Is it worth it? Fv(kin right.

ETA: sorry about the slight misinformation in my previous post. It's much easier to see on a computer in excel format than in the Gas Cubby app.

Hmm. Guess I'm just the minority. Lol

I got a best of 14.7 on a recent trip. Same trip used to net me 16mpg easy stock. But the truck did have stock tires on at that time.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Mild mod, 15-18mpg empty, 8-10 pulling the toyhauler

Speed will make a huge difference. 80 down to 75 will save a lot of fuel.
that is pretty much the norm for my 12 also.. but, i can pull 20mpg when inset the cruise with the actual speed limit.

not for me.. i set the cruise around 90 going across Canada and it stays around 17mpg..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

JRLott

Reaction score
Hmm. Guess I'm just the minority. Lol

I got a best of 14.7 on a recent trip. Same trip used to net me 16mpg easy stock. But the truck did have stock tires on at that time.

Dang, hope the tires don't hurt it that much, because I'm planning on 295/65R20 when these wear out. What tunes are you running? I'm running IDP race.

TrickTruck

Reaction score
that is pretty much the norm for my 12 also.. but, i can pull 20mpg when inset the cruise with the actual speed limit.
I live in the South, the speed limit is already hauling butt. Add 9 to that and you are cookin. I don't even have to break the law to run 80. Run 55 around here and you'll get run over by a semi. But yea, if I ever was somewhere that I did 55, for sure, better mileage.

Now that I think of it, a couple years ago my wife followed me in the 350, I was driving the biggest uhaul and towing their biggest trailer - loaded to the roof. She got 22mpg over 900 miles. I think the uhaul got like 4.

Jomax

Reaction score
Dang, hope the tires don't hurt it that much, because I'm planning on 295/65R20 when these wear out. What tunes are you running? I'm running IDP race.

I'm running 295-70-18 front tire psi 50 rear 45

Tyrant Race 14.17 overall in 400miles going to CA

Gearhad race 14.79 mpg overall in 400miles coming home from CA

BUT, going to CA you have to drive it hard. You have Semis trying to pass other Semis, so it's WOT passing around them, this is constant. Worst is when they cut you off to pass another semi uphill. You slam on the brakes, then I precede at WOT to pass him in the slow lane (there's plenty room to make it in front of him)

Getting stuck behind a semi trying to pass another semi going uphill is NOT fun...

And don't get me started on cars not going back into the slow lane and they just stay in the passing lane going barely the speed limit. Men in mini vans are the complete worse. Idiots try to beat you when you pass them... Ha...

This MPG is also with traffic after I got into SoCal.

I have never been able to set cruise at 80-85 and just go straight on flat hwy till I need fuel again.

Latest posts

Members online