1978 Crew Cab F250 4X4, 7.3 POWERSTROKE Conversion

1killerz

Reaction score
Hope I am posting in the right spot. If not, please be sure to let me know.

Noob here (to the PS Army website anyway) and I would like to tell you a story. Some of you may have heard this story on one or two other sites. For those that have not, here it goes:

8-10 years ago, my beloved Black Cadillac STS was totaled, at my work, while I was not driving, in a parking spot minding its own business. Still pisses me off to this day when I think about it.

The good news is, after arm wrestling with the driver at faults insurance agency for a month and a half about totaling the Cadillac versus repairing, common sense soon took place and I was left with a large check via the insurance company versus a repaired and questionably repaired Cadillac.

So I got to go shopping. What do I replace my beloved car with? I looked at BMW's, Cadillac's, and other cars I really didn't like. I wanted something different, something reliable, and something that if got hit by another teenager skipping class to get high, maybe wouldn't break as easily as the Cadillac did.

A quick look in the Michigan Auto and RV revealed to me my next "Cadillac", a Cowboy Cadillac to be exact. A 1978 F250 Crew Cab. A guy in the Door, MI area had a son who was a moto cross up start, and they had just bought a new bike for him, then lost a sponsor, so they were stuck with the bike bill.

So I bought their beloved hauler, complete with a 460CID, auto trans, 39.5 inch super swampers, and sexy faded red paint.

Within a few months, I blew the motor (no fault of my own). We rebuilt the 460 to the tune of 485hp, with 535 foot pounds of torque. The thing was kick ass, and I was thankful it had two gas tanks.

So fast forward a few years, my career is taking off and along comes the promotion. The promotion came with a hitch, I had to move. Whats a boy to do? I did what most dudes would do; I took the job, ditched the girl, and moved to NYC to begin the next leg of my career.

One hitch, they wont ship my truck. They shipped everything else, but they wouldn't ship the truck. After all considerations, the best thing to do is sell it. And sell it I did.

Worst mistake ever. I have owned many, many vehicles, but this one was the only one that I ever regretted selling. Thusly, my desire for the this truck, this style, has earned it the moniker "Eleanor".

1killerz

Reaction score
OE= Original Eleanor

original_eleanor.jpg

1killerz

Reaction score
The Journey

Life has come full circle. I left NYC, I moved back to Michigan, and began my life again.
My love for big vehicles, trails, and copious amounts of mud left me with a small yearning for fun.

So I bought a suburban
SUBURBAN_DRIVER_SIDE.jpg

then I bought a Jeep
muddy.jpg

then I bought a Full Size Bronco.

light_cover.jpg

maiden_voyage.jpg

Still not the same.

"Eleanor" kept calling. So became my maniacal search to replace the red beast.

I knew what I wanted:

* crew cab
* 1978- 1979
* auto
* 4wd
* as rust free as possible
* short box
* a project, not a finished good, cause I had a "vision"
* low price. I know they are rare, but I am not paying top dollar for a POS.

After about six months of searching, I found one. The perfect one in my opinion. Only one problem: It was in Washington (the State).

Eleanor; part 2. This was how I got her, minus the bigger tires( he was nice and gave me some rollers)
1978_f250.jpg

The seller thought I was insane. My girlfriend (ex now) thought so too. As did my son. After convincing the seller I was not insane, nor a craigslist killer, and that I could be there in a few days, he finally agreed to hold it for me.

So my oldest son and I loaded up the trailer (i wasn't sure if the crew cab would fit on my tow truck/hauler; ((more on that later))) and hitched up my truck to take a long Sunday drive.

eleanor_part_two_1_.jpg

My son and I slept and drove in 4 hour shifts. All the way from Zeeland, MI to Forks, WA. Looked over the potential "Eleanor", called it good, paid the guy $1000 for the drive-train-less truck, and continued to drive back cross country to Zeeland, MI. We did it in 3 1/2 days!

Random things I learned on the trip:
* Forks, WA is where the Twilight Series Books are based.
* Forks, WA does not have vampires that "sparkle" in the light, but they do have Meth Heads that glow in the dark.
* If you sit for extended periods of time like this, your feet swell. Not like stubbed my feet swell, think more like Lord of The Rings Hobbit's feet swollen.
* When on road trips this long, always choose the food you eat carefully. And ALWAYS check for toilet paper before sitting down...
* More importantly, choose your bathroom breaks wisely as well.
* Take lots of pictures

Last edited:

superpsd

Reaction score
Looks like you got a good basis for a swap. A co worker of mine has a 70s Ford with an 02 7.3 swap. Said it knocks down over 20 mpgs on the highway. Good choice. Plans to keep the 7.3 mildly stock or turned up a little?

Last edited:

1killerz

Reaction score
Looks like you got a good basis for a swap. A co worker of mine has a 70s Ford with an 02 7.3 swap. Said it knocks down over 20 mpgs on the highway. Good choice. Plans to keep the 7.3 mildly stock or turned up a little?

Initial plans are to keep it stock (the drive train)to work out any bugs, hiccups, or small surprises .

Once I have logged some miles on it, then it will be time turn it up a notch, or three. :tree:

gwunter

Reaction score
Looking forward to watching this. Are you just going for something functional or something that looks factory?? Either way will be one of a kind. Keep us posted.

FORDAHLBILT

Reaction score
ill be watching this, I use to have a 67 highboy with a 96 PSD swap. I miss that thing. I plan to build a 4 door 67-72 some day with a 7.3

1killerz

Reaction score
Looking forward to watching this. Are you just going for something functional or something that looks factory?? Either way will be one of a kind. Keep us posted.

You know, I never really thought about that. Not sure yet in that regards. I am trying to keep the classic lines and overall vibe, but I want the conveniences, comforts, and gadgets that come with newer truck offerings.

1killerz

Reaction score
I'm diggin' it! sub'd. What axles are currently in it, and will be in when completed?

When I bought it, they had swapped a sterling 10.25 for the rear. Still retains the dana 44 in the front.

Keeping the sterling for sure. Bought and had a correct Dana 60 rebuilt for the front, as too many have warned me the D44 wouldn't last long with that 7.3 calling the shots.

1killerz

Reaction score
Plans...

My plans for "Eleanor" are somewhat simple- ish.

* diesel motor
* off road capable
* DD capable
* comfortable for my little guy on long road trips
* father-son bonding experience

Essentially the intent is to keep the classic lines, yet running as modern a diesel drive-train as possible.

Based on what I have found online, the following will take place:

* the frame will be boxed/reinforced
* the cab will stay on until I can find the drive-train I want, then we will need to mock up motor mounts
* need a complete donor truck for electronics and anything else I cant think of

What I got with the Crew Cab:

* no motor, no trans, no transfer case
* solid interior, headliner as well
* an education on "Krummy's" (apparently the west coasters referenced these trucks as Krummy)
* 4 inch body lift (which made the PS 7.3 install that much easier)
* 4 inch suspension lift
* 10.25 sterling axle rear

1killerz

Reaction score
wish list

stupid stuff. may or may not make the final cut:

turbo gauge (they didn't come with one in '78)
Trans Temp Gauge
upgraded air intake
chipped (thinking BullyDog 3 positions)
6.0 intercooler (all the diesel sites have stated and proved this intercooler is much larger and better for the 7.3)
injector improvement
electronic fans
air locker front and rear (already running 4.10's, with a sterling axle in the rear)
disc brakes (upgraded as much as possible)
power windows
power rear slider window
2% limo tint
I was told Dakota Digital makes dash set ups for this year truck, may just do that too
TVs in headrest (for my little guy) ala King Ranch Interior
PS3 (plays DVD and Blue Ray, plus, I got the PS4 in the house, so what else would I do with my PS3)
auxiliary power set up
fridge in truck? (lol, my little guy suggested this because of our long road trips. we shall see)

Thinking of running 37" tires (truck has an 8" lift already)
hideaway/swing away (electronic) step ups to enter cab (don't they make these that double as underbody armor against rocks?
light bar off of the bronco (not sure yet on this one)
HID lights
Cowl Hood (thank you LMC)
Grab bars on the exterior (maybe, its a style choice and not sure I like it or not)
third brake light under tailgate (the long LED strips)
On board air set up
drive shaft loops
keeping manual hubs
bed tool box with extra tank built in
custom gas tanks to be
a. diesel compatible
b. largest capacity possible
Custom soft bed cover or just bedliner it (up in the air on this currently)
Large recovery winch bumper off of my bronco
color
a. matte black
b. body color black

sootie

Reaction score
don't do bully dog, don't do grab handles on the side, AMP research is what you want to look at for steps.

1killerz

Reaction score
Cleaning off pieces of Washington...

So, like I said previously, the PO of Eleanor used her for mud running, trail riding, and drinking beer.

Master Chief Willard and I decided we need to hose her off and assess what we were working with...

And with that, I also wanted to see if Eleanor would have or have not fit on my car hauler.

It fit!

eleanor_part_two_3_.jpg

Master Chief knocking out the mud...

eleanor_part_two_9_.jpg

snow studded sexiness...

eleanor_part_two_8_.jpg

They painted some of the suspension "barney" purple. Wow, just wow.

eleanor_part_two_7_.jpg

Frame is pretty clean overall.

eleanor_part_two_6_.jpg

two things in this picture... one, the truck appears to have been white with red trim (santa's sleigh?). Secondly...is that a license plat up by the shock tower?

eleanor_part_two_5_.jpg

Its got some dents, but no cancer on this beast...

eleanor_part_two_4_.jpg

1killerz

Reaction score
don't do bully dog, don't do grab handles on the side, AMP research is what you want to look at for steps.

No bully dog. No problem. Recommendations?

Yea, agreed. Besides, later in the build I think I found something better than grab handles/

AMP Research. Awesome. That is much appreciated.

sootie

Reaction score
No bully dog. No problem. Recommendations?

Yea, agreed. Besides, later in the build I think I found something better than grab handles/

AMP Research. Awesome. That is much appreciated.

TS six position or PHP's hydra.

Latest posts

Members online