EGT Control

strok-n

Reaction score
Alright everyone I need some help in reducing EGT's. I am currently running compounds with 250/200 sticks. I cannot run a quarter mile run without reaching almost 2k EGT's. I have a S371 for a high pressure and a S591 for a low pressure, both are gated. I have wondered about going with a S369 to help spool up and maybe help the egts from climbing so quick. Or I am thinking its time to run water/meth. Any help would be great.

Thanks

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
you dont have enough fuel to get hot running turbos of that size! or not enough fuel to even out the heat.. dam that's a big setup for small injectors, in a compound setup that is.. id start with tuning and or live tunes.. id almost say that you dont need gates with chargers of that size.. what are they set at?

live life full throttle

bruce

Reaction score
To me both of those are too big. If I was runnin a 200% nozzle I'd go with a s364.5fmw and an s483

uncool

Reaction score
TUNING has to be WAAAAAAAAY off, your EGT probe is bad, your turbo plumbing configuration is out of wack......

Before buying another turbo, let us help you out with some good old fashion discussion.

Do you have pictures of your turbo setup that you can share with us?
Picture is worth a thousand words.......

Does it smoke? at idle, cruising down the road, WOT?

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
I bet you'd run cooler with a 450/400

With 400/200s and my 75. I'd hit 1800 in a 1/4 mile. Leave the line at 950ish

strok-n

Reaction score
here is a picture that I have. My tunes have been adjusted multiple times. I have PLENTY of fuel I will get a video, The main gate is set at 65psi and that diverted exhaust to the big charger, and the gate for the low pressure is set at 40psi. I average roughly 75-80psi overall boost. Any other thoughts

Attachments

• twins.jpg
    twins.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:

strok-n

Reaction score
TUNING has to be WAAAAAAAAY off, your EGT probe is bad, your turbo plumbing configuration is out of wack......

Before buying another turbo, let us help you out with some good old fashion discussion.

Do you have pictures of your turbo setup that you can share with us?
Picture is worth a thousand words.......

Does it smoke? at idle, cruising down the road, WOT?

The truck does not smoke at idle. Anything over a quarter throttle I will get a haze, WOT it is very smoky until the big charger builds boost

uncool

Reaction score
Your valley turbo looks to be mounted similar to a Duramax?
The valley charger loops around and feeds the heads?
The atmosphere charger, feeds into the same loop that the valley charger feeds into the heads?
You have a turbo smart BOV on the line from the atmosphere charger.
I don't see any piping for an inter cooler?
I can't see the waste gates, but that is not an issue at this time in the discussion.

Not quite a 1000 words, but I have an idea of your problem is. If I am right you are NOT running these chargers in a compound configuration.

More pictures will tell me if I am right.

Who built the piping?

Marc

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
something doesnt add up efficiency wise with this setup. Can we get a charge air tubing diagram for this?

gwunter

Reaction score
Isn't that a waste gate or something of the like staring us in the face in the pic?? I'd like to see more pics of this conglomeration. What's your oil system consist of??

Last edited:

psduser1

Reaction score
Where's the rest of the piping? The valley turbo doesn't have a filter?
A couple more pics would help a lot. It appears that you have a lp and hp turbo feeding the same manifold, i.e. twins. As in, not compounds.

crcrawford87

Reaction score
I'm with these guys, need more pics to see what is actually going on and it appears from what I can see in this pic it looks like a twin setup.

strok-n

Reaction score
Your valley turbo looks to be mounted similar to a Duramax?
The valley charger loops around and feeds the heads?
The atmosphere charger, feeds into the same loop that the valley charger feeds into the heads?
You have a turbo smart BOV on the line from the atmosphere charger.
I don't see any piping for an inter cooler?
I can't see the waste gates, but that is not an issue at this time in the discussion.

Not quite a 1000 words, but I have an idea of your problem is. If I am right you are NOT running these chargers in a compound configuration.

More pictures will tell me if I am right.

Who built the piping?

Marc

Marc alright let me try and answer all the questions,
The 91mm is mounted in the valley. The compressor outlet is plumbed into my intercooler, which exits into the compressor inlet of the small charger. from there all the air is pushed into the motor via the "U" pipe with the BOV mounted. One wastegate is connected to the drive side of the small charger, and reroutes to the big charger when activated. the second wastegate is on the manifold and opens to the outside air. I will get some more pictures in the morning.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
that makes more sense now.. its cooled between the chargers... soooo, how does the air filter fit right there?

live life full throttle

ja_cain

Reaction score
That could be the problem (location of cooler). The small charger is doing most of the work (compressing) in the beginning without the aid of a cooler. The big charger may not be able to send enough cool air (early enough) to negate/reduce the high secondary outlet air temps. I could be completely wrong here though. Not familiar with that type of setup without the cooler on the outlet of the secondary. It seems to me that you would want that primary feeding the secondary more cool air earlier on to get it to work or just reconfigure so it's on the outlet of the sencondary.

Forget all that blather above accept for the intercooler needing to be on the outlet of the secondary since it's doing most of the work in the beginning.

Last edited:

uncool

Reaction score
OK, with that being said, next question i have for you.

How are the exhaust manifolds plumbed to drive the chargers?

If you are driving the 91 first, then to the 71, your turbine wheel/housing has to be perfect for that to work. That might explain the lag that the big charger has.

It would also be why your EGT's are out of control. By the time the big charger comes up, you have no chance to get them back down in a quarter mile.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Is that the way that it is normally done? It makes sense that a lack of air flow for high levels of fuel would send egt's out of control. How about the intercooling between the atmo and high pressure? What is your opinion on that? Sorry if my comments/question come off as sounding stupid but I really would like to learn more about compound setups in a diesel application.

Members online

No members online now.