96 PSD Issue that has me confused

Sodbuster Jr.

Reaction score
I have a 96 F250HD with 277,000 miles on it. Well I bought it with 160000 on it a few years back and it has never gave me really any trouble. I have the CCV mod on it and within the last month to month and a half I noticed my blow by was getting worse. Well last week I checked my oil, with about 3000 miles on the last change, and it was low 3 quarts. My truck has never burned or used oil EVER! Well we had some cooler temps this past week (60 degrees) and I would let the truck warm up for about 5 to 10 minutes and it just seemed like it had no balls, but I after it warmed up it was fine. Yesterday I started it, and it seemed to hit hard on a cylinder and when it fired the smell of burnt oil and smoke became apparent. Since the injectors have never been out I was wondering if maybe I have an o-ring out or if it is something more serious. This truck is my daily driver and gets anywhere from 300-500 miles a day on it so I depend on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Tom S

Reaction score
I think the added blowby is an overall assesment that the motor is getting tired. I also suspect your injectors are tired as well and it would probably be time to have them gone through.

Whytry

Reaction score
I would check compression on all the cylinders. Also I would check the injectors out especially if they are the stock ones, that is a lot of miles on stock never touched injectors.

Tom S

Reaction score
We have a number of very good powerstroke injector shops that are site sponsors right here.

Sodbuster Jr.

Reaction score
Thanks guys! As soon as I get the money I planned on getting some stage 1's. I am sure that the added blow by is a sign that the engine is getting tired. It is a farm truck and does get heavy use in pretty much all conditions. I was talking to one of my good friends that works at AIS Engine Corp. and he said the fact that it was in heavy wet conditions this spring it could be moisture trying to escape from the engine via the CCV tube. Any suggestions on what sponsor would have the cheapest Stage 1's, yet a good injector?

Tom S

Reaction score
Full Force, Swamps, Unlimited all have a good reputation here.

Sodbuster Jr.

Reaction score
300-500 miles a day... christ id buy a prius... oh wait im not gay.

but seriously. thats a ton

My exhaust emits prius repellent so it would not be an ideal choice of vehicle, and the fact I'm not gay either. Yeah she sees her far share of the road. I am in sales for an ag chemical company plus farm so it hauls my fat ass around all day as well as chemical...I could go on forever.

Thanks for all the advice, its been real helpful

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.