Rebuild steering box, add hydraulic assist?

JCart

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

The plan is to re-build a spare steering box I have and as I'll be tearing it down might as well drill some holes and tap it for hydraulic ram assist steering.

So have done some snoopin about and most recommend an 8" long by 1.5" ram any bigger and supposed to be too slow for highway steering.

Questions:

Will a 1" diameter ram be too small and/or too fast for my sig DD?

What would you recommend for a pump as the stocker is leaking and I think it's the large O-ring that seals the plastic reservoir housing to the aluminum pump side. Anybody know if there is a repair o-ring kit for this?

What is the best R&R kit for the steering box anything special that I need to know/need prior to getting into this project?

The intent here is to improve the steering, repair the leaking steering box and pump and learn more DIY stuff.

TIA for your insight and knowledge.

jrc

Tom S

Reaction score
I am betting you will have to do some serious digging on Pirate for this topic as well.

JCart

Reaction score
I am betting you will have to do some serious digging on Pirate for this topic as well.

Thanks Tom,

Have assembled a bunch of links and interesting info was just wondering if any OBS guys had first hand expertise. Checked with my local supplier and can order in rebuild kits for the Box and Pump. So gonna Sunday pull the spare of black truck and mess about with it. In time would like to replace (I think) the pump as they are prone to leaking. Didn't realize the reservoir is held to the pump body by just a large o-ring mine is leaking there I think. Pump rebuild kit is $35 here and Box rebuild is $125 so after pullin it off well see..

thanks,

jrc

Tom S

Reaction score
That pump reservoir is a weird deal with just the o-ring and the output fitting to keep it in place. On a old pump think about a fresh reservoir as well I think the heat really gets to them. I is easy to break off the fitting for the return on an old one.

Latest posts

Members online