Fuel Bowl questions

zilla68

Reaction score
Ok,

I had a leak in the valley, and thought what the hell, truck has 175k on it, I'll do a pump and reoring the fuel bowl.

My questions are:

1). to remove the heater, do I just leave it unplugged and I'm good to go, or remove the whole heater assembly and just bend the little tab up that is sticking into the bowl so it doesn't touch anything?

2). There was a TON of crap in there, the diesel was clear, but look at the pictures, can I just clean it out with carb cleaner and I'm good to go?

3). To clean the fpr filter, do I just blast it with cleaner also? I'm assuming I take off the 2-10mm screws and remove it. I bought everything from dieselorings so I'm hoping all those orings for the entire bowl are in the kit.

4). You'll notice in one of the pics there is a small round button looking thing that was in the bottom of all the crap, any idea what it is or where it came from?

Thanks for the help

Attachments

• 6-26-11 001.jpg
    6-26-11 001.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 54
  • 6-26-11 002.jpg
    6-26-11 002.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 55
  • 6-26-11 004.jpg
    6-26-11 004.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 60
  • 6-26-11 005.jpg
    6-26-11 005.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 55
  • 6-26-11 009.jpg
    6-26-11 009.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 51

zilla68

Reaction score
and here is some more pictures, its the small silver button next to the heater I'm curious as to what it is.

Attachments

• 6-26-11 008.jpg
    6-26-11 008.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
  • 6-26-11 010.jpg
    6-26-11 010.jpg
    841 KB · Views: 48
  • 6-26-11 011.jpg
    6-26-11 011.jpg
    692.6 KB · Views: 47

Mr. Neutron

Reaction score
I'm not certain what the proper "technical" name is for those buttons, but I think they're normally soldered to that stamped steel ring that goes around the bottom of the stock fuel bowl (which is the heater itself....), and just kinda serve to "space" the heater up off the bottom of the bowl. I beleive folks have soldered those back on, if you plan on using the fuel heater.....

I don't have one ( a fuel heater, that is), live in a much colder climate, and have never missed mine.... :shrug:

I just got back from Tulsa last week, and I'm betting you have no more need for a fuel heater right now in Moore than I would've while I was in Tulsey town. :D LOL

Jimmie

Tom S

Reaction score
If the fuel heater is fubar which it sounds like buttons in the bowl means I would just leave it out. I would clean the screen with a Q-tip.

zilla68

Reaction score
well I got bigger problems I'm guessing.

Pulled it all out, and it was the pump leaking, THANK GOD I didn't drop the rod off the pump, I was so scared I had my 10 year old laying on the core support watching the pump with his hand on it and according to him it never moved. I pulled it off anyways and it came right out with the rod nice and snug in the pump.

Now my fuel bowl is rotted thru in about 10 spots. You can look into the fuel bowl and see all the pitting, and feel on the underside and it can't have a whole lot of life left in it.

I'm guessing joedaddy's mod is coming up quick!!

Side note, I bought a fuel bowl setup from someone a while back and just tore into it, and noticed they had done the bb trick in the fpr, and the spring is broke in 3 spots, any ideas what caused it?

Tom S

Reaction score
If the goo builds up in the filter bowl I think it really accelerates the pitting and perforation.

JCart

Reaction score
Why not DIY E-fuel system install? Not that hard to piece together a system, or as an alternative purchase from one of the venders? Truck will like it better, smoother idle and full power to WOT, then when you get larger injectors you'll be set, fuel wise.

What is Joedaddy's mod?

Tom S

Reaction score
It is basically a way to reuse the regulator from the OEM fuel bowl.

zilla68

Reaction score
well I just bought a new fuel bowl complete, got the new pump in, fired up and idled very very smooth, started 1st try.

I'll be draining the bowl once a month now!

Tom S

Reaction score
Chris post up where you found it that is a decent price. Also the part number please. It might help another guy down the road.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Ive got a sd but fuel bowls being similar I did this back in Nov after I discovered a fuel leak. Mine had a bunch of goo in it also. Not like yours though. Just enough that it was plugging the drain hole and scoring the ball seal in the drain valve.

FUn times! I fixed mine in frigid cold temps. Sucked.

zilla68

Reaction score
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?catalog=48&partnum=FG1054&a=FR48-FG1054-111576

this is just one of the couple that come up when you google F6TZ-9155-AB
and I don't even see the place I got mine from, it was a parts store in Midlothian Texas I think it was. Comes complete with wiring harnes and the whole 9 yards, even had a filter in it, even though it said on most sites it doesn't come with it.

fg1054 is also a number that pops up as a cross for this number.

Latest posts

Members online