Wrench light on 2006 6.0

BigFoot

Reaction score
I for some reason have a bad feeling that it is my oil cooler. What is my best option as far as replacing this? I hear bulletproof is bad ass but I don't wanna drop $1500 on an oil cooler, any other good options?

PSM_Kid

Reaction score
Get a stock rebuild kit, they're under $300. That's what I just did with mine.

^This and flush the cooling system BEFORE doing the repairs. You can find some good write ups on great ways to flush a 6.0 by doing a little google research. Any crap in the cooling system broken up during the flush will wind up in your old oil cooler and not the new one. Completely drain radiator and block during repair. Install a coolant filtration kit when going back together (don't want to start a "who's got the best coolant filter kit pissing match", but I really like the quality of dieselsite's kit), put fresh ford gold vc-7 or cat ec-1/compatible extended life coolant (make sure whichever is concentrate) and distilled water to a 50/50 mix and roll on.

Reaction score
^ totally agree and oil coolers aren't too bad just take your time and pay close attention to where your bolts go and use some high temp grease on those turbo mount bolts they can be a bitch sometimes:thumbsup:

BigFoot

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Seems like a good project for me! I'm starting a new job that pays a lot better so I'm gonna get the egr delete pipe and do that while I'm in there to

yeehaw

Reaction score
mines been doing that for a year, oil temp never goes over 215 degrees even while towing, and isn't puking. I just deal with it. Measure your temps and see how bad it really is.

06-sixoh

Reaction score
Sorry to ressurect an old topic. Well im pulling my manifold for a few other preventive repairs, so i might as well add oil cooler to the list. From what i understand, its just O rings to rebuild.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

little luke

Reaction score
The o rings on the dummy plugs and stand pipes usually fail. I believe you'll want to replace the whole oil cooler and do a propper flush If your having issues with your temps. The cooler gets clogged from debris in the coolant system. Even if you add a filter I'd still replace the cooler and do a flush if you haven't before. I put a coolant filter on and thought all would be good. 3 months later my cooler blew which will give you this great experience of trying to flush the oil out of your coolant system.

Last edited:

06-sixoh

Reaction score
Ive finally put my filter on 6 months ago or so. Ive got a few issues that i need to remedy anyways. I was having an issue with starting. A one second longer crank, and now it kind of just sputter starts. Im not seeing the oil cooler being an issue with this. Im thinking it could be an STC fitting issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online