Blue smoke on acceleration.

JMart

Reaction score
I am getting a cloud of blue smoke every time I pull away from a light. Its a large cloud that blows out from 0-5mph then stops after that. The truck runs fine, accelerates great, doesnt smoke at idle or after it picks up speed.

This all started after an oil change. About two weeks ago I decided to do the fuel filters and change the oil. I did the fuel filters first then drained the oil. I went up top to pull the filter out and after trying to get the filter off the cap I realized I had an aftermarket filter on the truck. It was to late in the day on a Saturday to get a Ford cap so I had to wait until Monday. Monday morning I put a new cap on and fired the truck up. It ran fine. Less than 20 miles later I noticed the smoke. I pulled over to check the truck out but it wasn't doing anything. I had the wife rev it up both out of gear and in gear with her foot on the brake. No smoke. I drove home, smokes pulling away from every light. Next morning I get up and check the oil, I had over filled it :doh:. I put the oil in after I realized I didn't have a filter and I was distracted. So I drain enough oil down to get the dipstick to read in the middle of the range. Truck still smokes. Drove it for about 50 miles during the week. Smoke never went away. So I decided maybe it was the oil. I was running a synthetic blend rotella. I changed the oil again with less than 100 miles on it to a mobil conventional oil yesterday. Drove across town with my AE hooked up looking for anything wrong I could find. Drove about 25 miles at 70-75 on the highway. No issues found. Come back down the side streets, smoke at every intersection I stopped at.

So what did I do? How can I make it stop?

The truck is all stock except for a 4" exhaust with no cat. 92k miles.

Lassie

Reaction score
Could be turbo seal. Is the smoke oil or fuel?

How's the truck running? Typical for injector issues to show up like a switch got turned on after an oil change.

JMart

Reaction score
Could be turbo seal. Is the smoke oil or fuel?

How's the truck running? Typical for injector issues to show up like a switch got turned on after an oil change.

Runs great. Lined up next to a Challenger and stayed with him till 60+. It looks like it has a blueish grey tint to it.

Sounds like what happened when my turbo let loose

Turbo has less than 5k on it. It was replaced before I bought the truck. I don't know if it was new or reman but the covers still look brand new.

JMart

Reaction score
Another thing I did for the first time with this truck at the same time, I added some of the Power Services Diesel Kleen.

The smoke really only happens when I accelerate from a stop at anything more that a little bit of throttle. The harder I accelerate the more smoke I get. If I slow down to make a right turn and then accel out of that I don't get any smoke. I dont get any smoke when I punch it at speeds, even if I coast for a few seconds and then roll into it. I thought I saw some light smoke while idling at a light before the truck warmed up all the way but Im not sure and its so windy its hard to tell.

JMart

Reaction score
So I've put over 300 miles on it since the oil change, smoke hasn't gone away and may be getting worse. It has started to smoke white at idle as it warms up now. It goes away after the truck gets to 200 degrees though. I talked to Matt (broncof250444) when it first happened and he thought I might have gotten oil past the turbo seal and it would clear itself up. No it looks like he will be getting to work on the truck first hand, but he can't get to it for at least a week.

Anything I can look at or try to check out before it goes to the shop?

ghohouston

Reaction score
Have you ran your finger in the tailpipe? Its probably wet. This will either be an egr cooler (if still in tact) or our turbo is burning oil

ghohouston

Reaction score
Or you can pull the t bolt where your downpipe flange and exhaust housing meet, and see if there is oil pooled in your exhaust housing. The last 6.0 turbo I replaced had oil in the exhaust, and smoking just like your truck, and when I seperated downpipe from turbo, there was some oil in the bottom oart of the exhaust housing

JMart

Reaction score
I pulled the pipe off the bottom of the down pipe yesterday to look inside. It was dry.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Seperate the down pipe from turbo, and see if there isnt a small pool of oil in the bottom of the exhaust housing. It could be early enough in either situation that there is no wetness in the exhaust yet. Did you say you still have an egr cooler?

JMart

Reaction score
Seperate the down pipe from turbo, and see if there isnt a small pool of oil in the bottom of the exhaust housing. It could be early enough in either situation that there is no wetness in the exhaust yet. Did you say you still have an egr cooler?

Ok I will pull that off and take a look. Yes it still has the egr cooler on it.

JMart

Reaction score
Ok I pulled the downpipe off the back of the turbo and reached all the way into the blades, and its dry. No oil just soot.

Can an egr delete be done cab on? If so how hard is it?

ghohouston

Reaction score
Then probably not gonna be the turbo. Egr deletes are easy. Pull the turbo, intake manifold, then youre down to the cooler basically. Then once cooler is removed, you can remove your old up pipe, and install the straight one. Honestly, look up custom diesel egr deletes on ebay. Ive installed probably 20 of them, and their quality is actually great, and a lot cheaper than a big brand delete kit. It takes me 3.5-4 hours from start to finish on average, but then again, I used to work on powerstrokes daily and did coolers and deletes weekly

JMart

Reaction score
So you think its going to be egr related? I plan to do the delete, I was just going to wait and have Matt do it when he did the studs, but I might just do it now if that's the problem.

Lassie

Reaction score
Yes, do it now! If it's leaking, that smoke is water running through your cylinders. Lift the rear of the truck real high, or park on a hill. Shut truck down and pull EGR valve. If you see coolant, EGR cooler is popped.

I agree with above, it's not hard at all to do, but first time........won't be 3 hours! I'd plan on 8.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Ohh and if you do delete your egr cooler, if you will notice, on your I/c pipe that has the cast elbow that bolts to your intake, on the back side of that elbow, towards the turbo, there is a bolt hole, you can put one bolt in your egr valve and leave it there, and still plugged in, so no check engine light comes on, and fan clutch operation is still normal, and just install the block off plate like normal on the intake where the egr valve used to sit

ghohouston

Reaction score
So you think its going to be egr related? I plan to do the delete, I was just going to wait and have Matt do it when he did the studs, but I might just do it now if that's the problem.

Most likely, the only ither thing thats really gonna make you smoke would be your injectors, but its probably the cooler has ruptured and youre burning coolant

JMart

Reaction score
Yes, do it now! If it's leaking, that smoke is water running through your cylinders. Lift the rear of the truck real high, or park on a hill. Shut truck down and pull EGR valve. If you see coolant, EGR cooler is popped.

I agree with above, it's not hard at all to do, but first time........won't be 3 hours! I'd plan on 8.

I got all the time in the world. I will try that trick with the egr valve.

If in there, get oil cooler too

Anything else I need to put it back together with. Gaskets or anything? Might as well while I am in there.

Most likely, the only ither thing thats really gonna make you smoke would be your injectors, but its probably the cooler has ruptured and youre burning coolant

I'm not losing coolant though. Would my deltas be way off if it ruptured or would that only show up if the oil cooler was clogged?

Latest posts

Members online