Clockspring Repair (not replacement)

13fist

Reaction score
I didn't get good pics because dealing with this mess can be a 3 handed affair.

What happened? The typical Airbag light flashing 32. Horn and cruise control still worked.
Of course this is an obsolete part that is hard to come by, and if one can be found it's pricey.
Parts house alternatives didn't have the correct connections.
So I took it apart. Once I had the steering wheel off, I dismantled the clockspring in place on the column.
Did not take long to find the problem.

Just 2 wires broken. The cause of this was a brittle piece of blue plastic. It appears to have been a type
of follower or strain relief? Whatever it was for it made a mess, kinking up the ribbon in several places.
shortclockspring.jpg

Next step, lift tab and push the connector out the back of the front cover.
The two wires will pass through the slot.
tabclockspring.jpg

I didn't get a pic, but there is a blue cap covering this connector.
It has several small tabs to carefully deal with. Now the de-soldering can begin.
connectorclockspring.jpg

The damage was close enough that I was able to cut it back and re-solder to the connector.
Here is the damaged section removed. about 11ish inches.
leftoverclksprng.jpg

Everything was still long enough to turn the wheel lock to lock without breaking it again.
Airbag code went away, horn and cruise still work. Nothing caught fire.
I will say re-wrapping the clockspring just right so there is plenty of slack in both directions
is the hardest part. Hopefully, I'll score a spare soon but this will do for now.

Bushwakd

Reaction score
If you are interested in it I have a new in box Ford clockspring I bought for my 2000 F-250 that I can not use at all. Purchased on 5/13/18.
Some Jacka$$ stole my truck on 7/11/19.
Part # 1L3Z 14A664 AA
Also have a new Motorcraft Brake switch that mounts on the master cylinder for the Cruise Control.
Comes with switch and wire harness.
Part # 1L1Z 9F924 AA
I have several new parts and some other stuff I no longer need.

13fist

Reaction score
If you are interested in it I have a new in box Ford clockspring I bought for my 2000 F-250 that I can not use at all. Purchased on 5/13/18.
Some Jacka$$ stole my truck on 7/11/19.
Part # 1L3Z 14A664 AA
Also have a new Motorcraft Brake switch that mounts on the master cylinder for the Cruise Control.
Comes with switch and wire harness.
Part # 1L1Z 9F924 AA
I have several new parts and some other stuff I no longer need.

Dang bro. I remember when you posted that. I've been hoping & praying that you'd be letting us know you got her back. I've kept an eye out, but haven't seen anything.

I'll let ya know about the clockspring.

Latest posts

Members online