Ranger diesel project

a_moore

Reaction score
I am going to start a project for a new dd. As most of you know, I travel for work extensively and haul tools most of the time (In the bed or the trailer).

I need something to drive that will make some very good mpg's, esp right now. I simply can not justify using the 08 as a dd. It needs to sit and be exclusively for towing.

My first thought was a car.....but I can not haul toold boxes that I need. (Plus hauling 500+lbs nets .75 per mile. A Ranger will handle this with no problem.

My thoughts/goals are 30-40mpg highway. I am looking for a truck now, and need to decide on a powerplant. The 4B is an option, but will require some adaptation for the Ford tranny. I would love to do a 4.5 psd V6 with the 5R100 as found in the LCF Ford trucks. Then I can swap the 4x2 for a 4x4 and be in buisness wil little modding.

Now the questions begin......what can a 4B, or the 4.5 do for mileage in this setup. Is it even worth it? I could go with a little Kubota or Perkins and add a turbo, but I know they will be less peppy to drive.

Any thoughts or experience with similar swaps or the 4B or 4.5 weigh in please.

red&silver04

Reaction score
The 4bt weighs 800lbs empty so i would see if theres any lighter engines but sound like a sweet build

co04cobra

Reaction score
Andy, I was just talking about a 4.5 LCF motor in a ranger a few days ago. I think weight is going to be the fighting factor on getting the high mpgs out of it. Possibly you could gut the ranger down after getting motor swapped in. BTW I have several 01up Ranger parts if your looking for something call me. Im actually finishing up swapping cabs on two 05s tom.

Lowdown89

Reaction score
If you look on 4btswaps.com they have a entire section on the Benz diesels swaps, I have a 84 300d and even running like crap I still get high 20s for fuel mileage I bet it would go nicely in a ranger! At least that why I'm keeping my 97 sitting in the backyard, with the hopes of putting a diesel in it lol

Cobra 19 & 54

Reaction score
I think expecting 30-40 out of an LCF will be ambitous. High 20's would be more realistic. But I have very little experience (none LOL ) with them in that light of a vehicle.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I see a lot of guys on 4bt using a 3.3 litre 4 cylinder cummins in explorers quite often.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.