How fast is 350-400whp OBS auto?

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I dont care about speed (its a truck...) but just curious to what a well-tuned 7.3 OBS w/ 350-400whp and a very well tuned auto tranny w/ upped TC and VB runs? 0-60? 1/4? 1/8? What do they keep up w/ from a roll?

I'm just completely curious about this...I know that my 35" mud tires have a HELL of a time from holding traction in pavement let alone rain when I punch it w/ just a chip/exhaust/intake, I cant fathom some big injectors. I'd need 4x4 just to move the damn thing!

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Stock ab's in an obs ain't makin 350 horse

Didnt' say anything about stick injectors, just curious overall.

Depends on configuration. Using your truck in your sig, i'd feel safe saying mid-low 15's. Maybe a high high 14 on an ideal day.

If a 400hp SD can be in the 14's, why would a lighter OBS be slower?

golfer

Reaction score
Stock ab's in an obs ain't makin 350 horse

AB's were only the stock injs in the late 1996 & 1997 California F-series...and they would only be good for @ 280-300rwhp.

but to answer the OPs question...

350-400rwhp rear wheel hp would put a regular cab 4x4 in the low 14s in the 1/4mi, I would guess...maybe low 9s in the 1/8mi.

been awhile since I've messed with that kind of power in an OBS, since to make that kind of power, the OBS guys need electric fuel and a turbo upgrade...so it's not much more expensive to make 450-ish hp than 375hp.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
AB's were only the stock injs in the late 1996 & 1997 California F-series...and they would only be good for @ 280-300rwhp.

but to answer the OPs question...

350-400rwhp rear wheel hp would put a regular cab 4x4 in the low 14s in the 1/4mi, I would guess...maybe low 9s in the 1/8mi.

been awhile since I've messed with that kind of power in an OBS, since to make that kind of power, the OBS guys need electric fuel and a turbo upgrade...so it's not much more expensive to make 450-ish hp than 375hp.

I wouldn't say efuel is needed... lots of guys running 400-450whp and stock fueling. The only reason I wouldn't go w/ 450+hp is because I refuse to upgrade the turbo and I refuse to go IC'd.

I digress, so you think low 14's in the 1/4 and low 9's in the 1/8? That would be rather fun!

STROKIN N STYLE

Reaction score
It might run 14's if you upgrade the fuel system. 450 on stock fuel? Who? My sisters truck with baby swamps and swamps tunes might make 325, and traction isn't an issue. So i'd say your problem with traction on pavement line is a little far fetched.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
It might run 14's if you upgrade the fuel system. 450 on stock fuel? Who? My sisters truck with baby swamps and swamps tunes might make 325, and traction isn't an issue. So i'd say your problem with traction on pavement line is a little far fetched.

Like I said, I know of dozens of guys on the ORG who have stock fuel system running 400-450whp. I wouldn't guess though, as far as hp #'s. A properly setup stage 1/1.5 w/ good tunes makes 350-400whp all day long.

As far as traction, if the ground is even a little wet, both of those rear 35's wont hook up period (from a stop). On the dry pavement, taking off around a corner or trying to powerslide is a piece of cake and results in heavy wheelspin. I'm not trying to get into a debate on my truck or what it takes to get to what HP, I'm simply asking what a 350-400whp OBS will run 0-60, 1/4 and 1/8.

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
Like I said, I know of dozens of guys on the ORG who have stock fuel system running 400-450whp. I wouldn't guess though, as far as hp #'s. A properly setup stage 1/1.5 w/ good tunes makes 350-400whp all day long.

Who are these people & how do they not drop fuel pressure with a stock cam driven lift pump at those ranges? I've seen stage 1s do 350hp with E fuel, an I/C & a good HPOP live tuned. That was as much power as could be coxed out of a 160cc injector with a stock nozzle. Not saying there aren't some freak strong runners out there but it's not a general consensus with these trucks.

MINK

Reaction score
Who are these people & how do they not drop fuel pressure with a stock cam driven lift pump at those ranges? I've seen stage 1s do 350hp with E fuel, an I/C & a good HPOP live tuned. That was as much power as could be coxed out of a 160cc injector with a stock nozzle. Not saying there aren't some freak strong runners out there but it's not a general consensus with these trucks.

Agreed, dozens is a stretch IMO

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score

Go over to the ORG, happens all the time. Stage II's is where FP starts getting hairy though, which will pound on the injectors, but it's been done. In fact, Beans guarantees me 400whp w/ stage 1.5 injectors. And on his dyno-thread, there are dozens of people running 400+whp w/ injectors and tunes on 7.3's.

Agreed, dozens is a stretch IMO

Read above. Go over to beans dyno thread. They will guarantee 400whp w/ stage 1/1.5 and 420-450whp w/ stage II's on a 7.3

We are getting off track. This thread is about track times w/ a 350-400whp OBS.

STROKIN N STYLE

Reaction score
The track times have been stated. A stock cam driven pump can not support or provide enough fuel for 400hp. And the stock charger can't handle it either

sent from the sea

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
The track times have been stated. A stock cam driven pump can not support or provide enough fuel for 400hp. And the stock charger can't handle it either

sent from the sea

I can send a 30page thread right now of people that have OBS and SD w/ 400-450whp on stock turbo. Thats NOT the debate.

So low 9's in the 1/8 mile? That sounds like an interesting ride. What kinda 0-60 can be had w/ a boosted 4wheel drive launch do you guys think/

Jason

Reaction score
Fwiw....a 9 second 1/8th mile, or 14 second anything is nowhere near a "interesting" ride. You will still get outran by most things on the road. Until you get in the high 6/low 7 1/8th mile, will it get "interesting. My car is in the mid 12 second range, but it traps higher than it should for the e.t., and I can clean up decent on the street due to the facr i dont need sticky tires or a rev limiter launch to do it. It does on the street what it does on the track. But, its still relatively slow.

So, a 30pg thread on the org is the bible for how to make power, and the guys who do it daily for a living, and who have built a reputation of beung some of the best in the biz are full of sht?

MINK

Reaction score
Fwiw....a 9 second 1/8th mile, or 14 second anything is nowhere near a "interesting" ride. You will still get outran by most things on the road. Until you get in the high 6/low 7 1/8th mile, will it get "interesting. My car is in the mid 12 second range, but it traps higher than it should for the e.t., and I can clean up decent on the street due to the facr i dont need sticky tires or a rev limiter launch to do it. It does on the street what it does on the track. But, its still relatively slow.

So, a 30pg thread on the org is the bible for how to make power, and the guys who do it daily for a living, and who have built a reputation of beung some of the best in the biz are full of sht?

Agreed, title should be changed to "how slow is"

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score

Funny, my old '89 GT foxbody would rip off 8.8 1/8 slips w/ 273's, and not a damn thing on the road could touch it from modded GTO's, modded LT1's, modded ls1's etc.

Hell for that matter, brand new Cobras, new camaros, modded mustangs, a porsche carrera and a laundry list of other cars have trouble touching that 8.8second 1/8 at my local track.

I digress, do a simple google search of "400 hp obs 7.3" and hundreds of threads of people w/ stock fuel, stock turbo, and stage 1-stage 1.5 injectors with good tuning are pulling 380-420whp all day long in these OBS trucks.

Beans himself said he'll give me a good 400hp hot tune w/ some stage 1.5's.

JD3020

Reaction score
Not gonna get into the arguing, but here is my truck with listed mods. I doubt it'd break 350hp right now, prolly closer to 325. By no means is it fast, but not bad either for your regular ole OBS DD/farm/work/tow-rig/play truck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSmIIX3NxQM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtY1XI-CVzs

And here is back when it was running AD's, Gearhead tunes, 6637, and an exhaust. That was it. When it was all said and done i only had $500(cost of the chip) in it total, but it did cost me a trans. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sKfpmtKe7c&list=UL

Last edited:

Jason

Reaction score
Kind of like the guys wigh 3v cars who go out and run mid 14's, and trap 95mph, while i go run 2 seconds faster, and a **** hair shy of 15mph faster. But i guess its just a freak as it ran 13.8@104 on a 2.4 60' bone stock. My ole '91 gt which was lowered on 17's went 13.3@101 with 3.73's, nittos, exhaust (stock manifolds), and thats it. And trust me, it got ran on a lot back in the day, another 400rwhp got thrown at it, and that story changed. In the day and age where Hyundai is making a 450hp family sedan, 14's and 13's are just sad.

Latest posts

Members online