thoughts

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
It's a used engine, rings should be set.

How long did it sit between the last truck and yours though? Might have something to do with the blowby. Like everyone else said though, I wouldn't worry about it. Especially if you had 380+ on all eight.

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
The engine I'm running now literally smokes more out the crank case vent tube than the exhaust tip..i know the history of the truck it was in and it never smoked like that but for some reason it does on mine. Wouldn't worry about it

OSCS

Reaction score
Purchased the motor from Seth not real sure about how long it sat before I got it. Maybe he can chime in

co04cobra

Reaction score
Truck would have sat a MAX of 6 months. Shouldn't be near long enough to cause any problems. How's everything else running? Feel strong on the road? The comp#s on that motor were some of the best that I had ever pulled.

Of course I'm pretty sure it was the lowest mileage one I had ever run compression on.

OSCS

Reaction score
Truck would have sat a MAX of 6 months. Shouldn't be near long enough to cause any problems. How's everything else running? Feel strong on the road? The comp#s on that motor were some of the best that I had ever pulled.

Of course I'm pretty sure it was the lowest mileage one I had ever run compression on.

thanks seth, besides some tunning issues the truck runs great. no smoke, starts right up. No complaints

OSCS

Reaction score
Odd question. I'm getting an strange smell only on WOT runs? I wrapped the uppipes could it be that?

OSCS

Reaction score
Yeah. Did you paint the engine?

No paint on the engine. kris through some fresh paint on the trans so i guess it could be burning it off the top of the bell housing but it only smells when I Barry it and it fades quickly afterwards. besides that just some fresh header wrap on the up pipes. I've never used it before and I was hoping someone else has had a similar experience. I haven't had the opportunity to drive it much, IE 200 miles or so.

co04cobra

Reaction score
I havent used it on uppipes. Ive messed with it a little on gas motors. I have not been impressed. It seems to hold moisture, which also would be big problem on uppipes. With it being new wrap I would think for sure you would probably get some smell from it.

What temp was it rated for?

2000wa250

Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me if its the wrap. Doesn't the heat like cure it or something? I thought I remembered reading that the heat cycles cure the wrap. I would imagine that that would release some fumes and smells that aren't normal.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

OSCS

Reaction score
I havent used it on uppipes. Ive messed with it a little on gas motors. I have not been impressed. It seems to hold moisture, which also would be big problem on uppipes. With it being new wrap I would think for sure you would probably get some smell from it.

What temp was it rated for?

PTP Heat Wrap Tolerance:
Direct Contact Limit: 1000 Deg F / 538 Deg C
Radiant Heat Limit: 1700 Deg F / 927 Deg C

OSCS

Reaction score
I never even thought to look seth. Got me thinking.. I know the egts are above 1k but I wonder what the actual temperature of the pipes are? Guess I need to shoot it with the temp gun

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online