thoughts

OSCS

Reaction score
as some of you know i blew up my motor last weekend and have been bugging everyone i can about info, parts etc. Im going to try and make this my "build thread" so to speak. Im looking for some information and direction as i am still a noob. Ive never gotten this far into a powerstroke before. My goal is to stay where i was, 550. Im fine with that number and do not plan to exceed it by more than 25 or so in the future.

I have been speaking with dave at swamps, elite and trying to get a hold of other guys but im wanting some real world feed back. I am trying to get away with doing a rebuild w/ mahle pistons, crowers, clevite bearings yada yada.. now Im hoping to keep my costs down by avoiding mainstuds, girdle, beadplate etc. as i never plan to take this truck to infinity and beyond.

so i guess my question is this, what do you guys think about doing a rebuild with mahle and crowers with no girdle, fire rings or fancy stuff? Am i out of line thinking that i can make 550 and keep my engine alive with just billet rods? thoughts please.

Last edited:

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
I'm sure you know but a girdle with studs is 800 from swamps. If it were me I would get the girdle and be done. But I'm sure crowers,block fill and mahle's would hold up fine. If you don't want to get a girdle at least put main studs in.

OSCS

Reaction score
I'm sure you know but a girdle with studs is 800 from swamps. If it were me I would get the girdle and be done. But I'm sure crowers,block fill and mahle's would hold up fine. If you don't want to get a girdle at least put main studs in.

I hear ya and this is why i started this thread, for discussion. What is REALLY needed to maintain this kind of HP level? what im trying to avoid is saying oh whats another $500 whats another $350 so on and so forth then before you know it your another 10k in the whole when you could have been ok spending $6500 but im not sure where that "ok" line is or if it exsists so i am doing what i do best and asking questions

blackbetty13

Reaction score
for 550 hp though if your trying to save money here theres alot you dont need to do your other motor was fine it just had pmrs. ive been at 600 hp for about a year on forged and i dog the piss out of that truck.

JDub

Reaction score
so i guess my question is this, what do you guys think about doing a rebuild with mahle and crowers with no girdle, fire rings or fancy stuff? Am i out of line thinking that i can make 550 and keep my engine alive with just billet rods? thoughts please.

My first motor build was done this way. No girdle, just stock head gaskets and studs. billet rods and new pistons. Truck made right at 500hp for about 25,000 miles. Popped a head gasket. Fire ringed it and put it back together. Upped the fuel and turbo, made 560-585 for about another 20,000 miles. Started having no-start problems and sticking IPR's. Removed the engine and dug into it deeper, found the front cover scored and the oil system full of aluminum shavings. Crank had been moving around quite a bit. Considerable main walk wear on the block as well. Built and all new motor with everything, including girdle, main studs, etc... and put it in my 2wd truck

I would NEVER go through another engine build without doing everything possible...it's cheaper in the long run. Cheaped out on my first build and had to pull the motor and re-do it twice later down the road because of it. Live and learn.

Last edited:

Arisley

Reaction score

I agree with the studs, block fill part way is a pretty cheap deal also.

Other than that, all the normal supporting mods that go with the HP and a smart build.

1. Head studs
2. Valve springs
3. Weld the piston cooling jets
4. Weld the cam gear.

Pay for the machine work, get it done right the first time. Measure everything two or three times before assembly.

OSCS

Reaction score
for 550 hp though if your trying to save money here theres alot you dont need to do your other motor was fine it just had pmrs. ive been at 600 hp for about a year on forged and i dog the piss out of that truck.

wrong, I had forged rods buddy and so did groomzy and mad diesel.. what works for some doesnt always work for others. Im pretty damn confident tunning has alot to do with it.. just curious who tunes yours?

Jomax

Reaction score
Buy a 6.4 and be done. :)

Sent from my iPhone using
TapTalk
2000 Black DRW F-350
Gauges, DP tuner, ported housing, T-500:evil:, JW VB, 5in turbo back, hutch/harpoon mod, 6.0 IC, tru cool tranny cooler, etc

OSCS

Reaction score
My first motor build was done this way. No girdle, stock head gaskets and studs. Just billet rods and new pistons. Truck made right at 500hp for about 25,000 miles. Popped a head gasket. Fire ringed it and put it back together. Upped the fuel and turbo, made 560-585 for about another 20,000 miles. Started having no-start problems and sticking IPR's. Removed the engine and dug into it deeper, found the front cover scored and the oil system full of aluminum shavings. Crank had been moving around quite a bit. Considerable main walk wear on the block as well. Built and all new motor with everything, including girdle, main studs, etc... and put it in my 2wd truck

I would NEVER go through another engine build without doing everything possible...it's cheaper in the long run. Cheaped out on my first build and had to pull the motor and re-do it twice later down the road because of it. Live and learn.

this is exactly what i was looking for.. I would put a gun im my mouth before dealing with this..

OSCS

Reaction score
Buy a 6.4 and be done. :)

Sent from my iPhone using
TapTalk
2000 Black DRW F-350
Gauges, DP tuner, ported housing, T-500:evil:, JW VB, 5in turbo back, hutch/harpoon mod, 6.0 IC, tru cool tranny cooler, etc

If i could drop a 6.4 in easily i would be all over it.. not worth dropping a stocker in and selling it. i have way to much into this truck to get rid of it

Last edited:

blackbetty13

Reaction score
wrong, I had forged rods buddy and so did groomzy and mad diesel.. what works for some doesnt always work for others. Im pretty damn confident tunning has alot to do with it.. just curious who tunes yours?

oh i thought you had pmrs and gearhead does all of my tuning ive had several tuners not bad mouthing them but matt tunes are probly the best out there

OSCS

Reaction score
oh i thought you had pmrs and gearhead does all of my tuning ive had several tuners not bad mouthing them but matt tunes are probly the best out there

he will probably be whoi go with.. i havent heard of any failres with his tunes yet

Latest posts

Members online