Cam sensor cause IPR to not close?

6speedsd

Reaction score
Been out of town for a week and came home to the 03 6.0 being dead. Said it was running fine and just shut off like you turned the key. Hasn't hit a lick since. Put AE on it this morning. Getting no RPM signal which tells me the cam sensor is bad. ICPv is good, pressure will go as high as 600 when cranking, but is up and down anywhere from 600 to 200. IPR stays at 14.5% but very briefly will jump to 84, but immediately back to 14.5. I can manually command the IPR to 80% and ICP jumps to 3000.

Will a bad cam sensor cause the IPR to not function? The ICP and IPR were both replaced earlier this year, but the truck is still on the original HPOP at almost 300k miles. ICP was leaking oil bad, IPR had quit working. My original guess was the pump finally chit the bed, but thinking now I might get lucky and only have to replace a cam sensor.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

bismic

Reaction score
No rpm signal is typically a crank sensor issue.

When a crank sensor is bad, typically the IPR defaults to 14.4% SO you could be having intermittent issues with that sensor.

Last edited:

6speedsd

Reaction score
Dang, I though the rpm signal came from the cam sensor. Crank sensor was replaced on it, but it's been a while. I'll try that first.

Zeb

Reaction score
On my SnapOn scanner rpm comes from the cam sensor, but on an SCT device it seems to come from the crank sensor because I have unplugged a cam sensor before and still picked up rpm when cranking with an SCT.
That being said, I believe the ECM reads rpm from the cam sensor. If you don’t have cam sensor signal the ECM doesn’t know that the motor is turning over and will not change IPR position.

bismic

Reaction score
Ford manuals specifically state that the rpm comes from the crank sensor, and to replace it for no sync and no rpm signal.

Check the connector and wiring closely.

Last edited:

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
As stated, rpm comes from the crank sensor. Without rpm, the truck doesnt know its turning over, so its not gonna close the ipr, command injectors, etc.

bismic

Reaction score
Appreciate the post 6.0Tech. Something is just telling me that a cam sensor was going to get changed anyway.

Last edited:

6speedsd

Reaction score
Well it was, before the info I've gotten here. Crank sensor is ordered and will be picked up sometime today. I'll get it put on one day this week when I get a little bit of free time.

I pulled the cam sensor a couple months ago to replace the Oring...no way am I doing that again unless I have to. There is a hard line right in the way on the PS pump on the 03 that makes one bolt a giant pain...I dont remember it being that hard when I did the same thing on my 05. I know the crank sensor is sort of hard to get to as well...

Thanks for the info fellas

6speedsd

Reaction score
Hrmmm
4907ef5857861bec7ff0de6b02c31d4d.jpg

6speedsd

Reaction score
Put in a new sensor, wires were chaffed so I dropped the ac compressor and took tensioner off to get the wiring up and out so I could clean and tape them. Back together and it fired right up, but misses like crazy, smokes heavy, and tach is bouncing all over the place. Forgot my laptop so I'll have to scan it tomorrow. Still acts like an issue there, and I'm concerned what broke that sensor.

6speedsd

Reaction score
If I got some gunk on the end of the sensor when reinstalling, it should clean itself off pretty quick and not affect the signal correct?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Remove sensor again, crank over with bore scope or a mirror and monitor the wheel through the port

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
To see if the tone wheel strays away from center of the bore. Meaning it's come loose

6speedsd

Reaction score
Is the wheel and the sensor close enough together that they can hit if it walks? Just strikes me real odd that there was a chunk missing in his original.

6speedsd

Reaction score
I don’t think I broke it on removal. It just slid right out real easy like. I’m going to see if I can track down a bore scope by the weekend. It’s just odd. I was out of town when this all happened. He said it just shut off while cruising...never missed, sputtered, nothing, and never hit a lick afterwards. He did say the low fuel light was on (he’s bad about running it too low on fuel no matter how many times I tell him it’s going to cost him injectors). He had an issue with water in fuel in one of the mowers while I was gone, and he thinks it’s a water issue in the fuel on the truck, but that should have caused a rough running before it died. I’ll pull the upper filter in the morning and see if there any water in the housing, and drain the separator underneath just in case. Also going to put AE back on it in the morning and see what it’s doing. I’m guessing in and out of sync...

I’ve put 300 miles on mine the past 2 days using it since that one is down....I need to get that truck back up and going!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk