Transmission temps

jonathan734

Reaction score
I've got a 2016 off-road f350 with tyrant SOTF. My temps are almost always around 220 for the trans and 230 to 250 when towing my 16k box trailer. All fluids look normal and the dummy gauge is always in the operating range but this seems way to high. Doesn't matter what tune I use, it runs hot! Should I be looking for an issue? Have I knocked my trans life in half already?

Attachments

• 20180502_112426.jpg
    20180502_112426.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 97

ckrueg

Reaction score
Mine sits around 199-205 empty. 220 seems too high for empty driving. Is your secondary coolant low?

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
seems high to me. I have almost the same setup. I reguarly run 195 to 200 empty on the highway @75 and 80. When towing 16k I have never been above 210 on the trans temp. I guess it is ok just seems a bit off from what I am seeing.

jonathan734

Reaction score
Well I was almost a gallon low in the secondary cooling system. Got it filled up and seem to be running much cooler now. Not sure how I missed this but thanks for the help guys.

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Well I was almost a gallon low in the secondary cooling system. Got it filled up and seem to be running much cooler now. Not sure how I missed this but thanks for the help guys.
Good deal!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Should I be looking for an issue?
Here's the issue. The transmission has a thermostat inside that keeps the temperatures this high by design. The real issue is that people don't like it. There is nothing wrong and nothing to fix.

Have I knocked my trans life in half already?
That's an old wive's tale that just won't die. The old wife died years ago, but her tale lives on.

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
There was an issue. His secondary coolant tank was low on coolant. I do not doubt that these transmissions are designed to run hotter. However 30 degrees warmer than what most see empty....there was an issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

jonathan734

Reaction score
Here's the issue. The transmission has a thermostat inside that keeps the temperatures this high by design. The real issue is that people don't like it. There is nothing wrong and nothing to fix.

That's an old wive's tale that just won't die. The old wife died years ago, but her tale lives on.

Just out of curiosity what is the danger zone then? Clutch fan comes on at 238 or so and I've seen 245 very briefly.

story5253

Reaction score

Correct me if I’m wrong. But your secondary cooling system runs your trans water to air intercooler and well as a few other systems. To me there has to to be a optimal temp for all these systems to run and provide peak power and efficiency. I just can’t see how running trans temp 230-250 is good for these systems.

To me all your doing is heat soaking the systems. Which is going to raise the temps of your fuel system and water to air cooler. Causing the efficiency of these systems to drop. Or am I on the wrong field playing the wrong game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online