TunnelRam7_3 1997 ccsb build thread

TunnelRam7_3

Reaction score
I guess I'll show you guys my 97 ccsb f250 4x4 build so far. When I was 14 years old, my dad and I were kind of looking on and off for a project car for me. We ended up at his best friends junkyard one day, just to hang out and talk to his buddy, but in the yard about 200 yards away I could see an OBS sitting. This wasn't a junkyard most people think of, it's a tow lot, then he sends them to be scrapped. This f250 powerstroke 4x4 was abandoned and had a salvaged title, he gave my dad the title and keys a couple days later and the build began.

Then

View attachment 47910

View attachment 47911

Now

IMG_20170722_213017.jpg

20170723_194934.jpg

20170615_163744.jpg

TunnelRam7_3

Reaction score
The truck is a 1997 f250 crew cab short bed powerstroke 4x4 auto. It's got a TS chip with generic tunes, NAPA 6637 intake, Diamond Eye 3" do and 4" straight pipe, 4" Rough Country lift kit, 315/70/17 Cooper at3's, 17" raceline raptors, everything is blacked out, its painted two tone with raptor liner, the top is Tunnel Ram Gray metallic, the bottom is satin black.

I'm parting out a car I bought and hopefully will be buying injectors, a kc38r, intercooler, cnc fab HPOP, traction bars, efuel, trans cooler, glow plugs, and a 3 pod setup. Then whatever money is left will build the transmission.

TunnelRam7_3

Reaction score
I'm looking at doing a stage 1 ATS e4od. How much will this transmission take? Is it worth it? I plan on 250/200s, efuel, stage 2 hpop, turbo, etc. Will this transmission stand up to this kind of power?

TunnelRam7_3

Reaction score
Or is a BTS e4od better? I don't want to waste my money on a transmission that can't take the power.

TunnelRam7_3

Reaction score
No big progress has been made, I haven't even begun selling car parts yet. But, the death wobble has been fixed. Turns out the passenger side TTB drop bracket was broken somehow and only had 1 bolt holding it in! It now has a new bracket in, with grade a hardware, and a support bracket. So I think the next thing I'm going to buy will be a Dana 60 to swap. I'm done with the TTB nonsense. I don't need power. I do need that solid front.

TunnelRam7_3

Reaction score
Which is best? BTS, ATS, Tom Woods, or Sam Wyse for a built e4od? I'd like to spend no more than $4500. The transmission is the main weak point of these trucks imo so I want to build that first. So please anyone who has one of these, why did you get it, what did you pay, and would you recommend it, thanks!

psmike

Reaction score
im running a BTS I def will say it will handle the power.. another one I can recommend is John Woods.. where you located... I drove from calif to BTS sorry didn't know about Woods..

mandkole

Reaction score
Nice job so far and have fun with your project.

If you plan on using it fairly hard, I'd get to know a builder. A decent trans buildup (for ~500 ish) will be min $5K with 3 disk converter, etc. The secret sauce is known by the good builders, so use someone close to you. Its just me, but I wouldn't try to deal with transmission after sale support over the webs and mail.

TunnelRam7_3

Reaction score
So not a whole lot has changed, truck runs great and looks awesome still, but its started to hard start in warm weather. It's about 90 every day here and sometimes out of the blue it cranks and starts HARD. I think it's all okay, I think it's just the stock 320k injectors starting to get tired.

I'm leaving for college next friday and its staying at home with my parents for the next 5 years, but college is only 10 minutes from home thankfully! You guys think the stickers can make it 20k or 30k more miles until my we fully restore this think in a year or two? Considering how myself and my father take care of vehicles I think it will be just fine.

TunnelRam7_3

Reaction score
Sam Wyse is in Ohio. Heard a lot of guys running their transmissions lately.

You're the guy with the Eaton TVS 7.3?? That truck is absolutely amazing!

I want to go Sam Wyse or BTS, but dont have funds currently and dont have a need as of right now.

So how does it feel to drive a s/c'd 7.3 vs a normal one?