Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > The Bunker > General Discussion Forum

Old 11-08-2018, 04:22 AM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Just broadcast some lespedeza or clover on it and be done, they will eat that just as fast as soybeans, hell they will eat about anything, that way you still have a usable pasture if you wanted to feed a calf or 2 out.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:50 AM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

I've been looking for a used drill all year. But used equipment around here still sells for gold. I can't justify spending $2000+ on a 8ft drill just to plant one field each year. I might try broadcasting them next spring and see how that goes.

You say optimum depth is 1.5"....what happens of they are covered too deep? Just like any other seed, they won't germinate?

Something I forgot...what about the seeds that's already been inoculated? Any benefits to those over just doing it myself before seeding?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Diamond Eye 5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
WPE RR and Uppipes
Old 11-08-2018, 07:57 AM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Our season runs Sept-early January. So if I planted mid April, that would get me all the april-may rains we usually have, then allow them to mature before the late August hot dry spell that's typical for us.

Deer are still going to beans now, almost every night. The one crop I mentioned is still standing because it's been too wet for the farmer to harvest. We have been getting rain ever 2-3 days for the past couple weeks.

Maybe I'm overthinking all this anyways. It's just as a food plot....if it doesn't come up solid, I'm just out the cost of seed. Not like I'm losing money on yield or something. But if I'm taking the time to do it, I want to do it right...given the resources I have anyways.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
WPE RR and Uppipes
Old 11-08-2018, 09:00 AM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Can definitely go deeper. Seen it done lots during dry spring to try and get the seed closer to moisture. To get any serious podding you will need inoculation. Ourselves we double inoculate our beans, once on the seed, and again in furrow with the planter.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:52 AM
General
Member's Gallery

You might be better off with a perennial that deer love. Soybeans are a one shot deal.
96 F-350 RC 4x4 Hypermax Rods, PIS 300/200s G head tunes, Garrett GT4294, Beans IDM, ARP head & main, girdle, half filled block, DI cam, Dual IPRs, ceramic coated bowls, anti-friction skirts, Haldex pump over Honey Badger Jr, Diesel site High volume lpop, Billet intake Plenums, Dual SD pumps, Fluidampner, beehive springs, cosmetic head gaskets, Inconel valves, hardend guides, Ported and polished heads by me, home made RR fuel, 5 speed tranny, with SB 3600 DxD. Snow water meth.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:58 AM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

This^
Much below 2", the ant can have trouble getting out of the dirt. Less than 1", and you run the risk of not enough moisture to get the seed to germinate. It takes about 50% of the seed weight in moisture to get the seed to germinate. Definitely inoculate the seed, either yourself, or buy it already treated. Much better results when the plant makes pods.
Old96stroker is on the same page with me, I think, with the clover thing.
2002 with a couple of mods, grocerygetter
Old 11-08-2018, 02:45 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

I get what you guys are suggesting with the clover. I already have 3 other green plots to help draw them. If I planted that 6 acres in clover, sure theyíd eat it, but they will still head down the road every night, every other night, to those beans. The deer on my place are accustomed to beans....it was planted there for years until the farmer backed out on the lease. If there are beans nearby, they are going to them no matter how much greenery I plant. Iím willing to replant the beans year after year. More than likely in the fall Iíd plow under a couple acres of the beans and plant a fall green plot there along side of it.

Not trying to sound like I donít appreciate the advice, but I know the deer on this property and they crave beans. I will still have a combined 2-3 acres of green plots planted spring and fall, away from this field I want in beans. I appreciate the input you guys are giving, but Iím not trying to come across like an ass by saying that field will be beans next spring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
WPE RR and Uppipes
Old 11-08-2018, 05:49 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

I didn't realize you had other green plots.
Thirty inch rows for beans would still accomplish what you after, I think, if you shoot for 70-80k plants/acre. Save you a few dollars on seed cost.
2002 with a couple of mods, grocerygetter
Old 11-08-2018, 09:19 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Yes sir. I try to keep something planted year round for them. I didnít get my spring plots in this year though. I did two plots this fall in oats, which theyíve already eaten off at the ground, and a 3rd plot in a mix of clover/oats/brassicas/winter peas that they just started hitting pretty good. Just planning on overdoing the plots next spring when I add th beans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
WPE RR and Uppipes
Old 11-09-2018, 08:18 AM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Good thread. I'm far, far from an expert, but If I had the money, I would love to get one of these. Would be perfect for woodlots and small open plots.

https://www.whitetailhabitatsolution...oors-genesis-3

I'm biased. Since I keep small ruminants, I am probably going to do a pure stand of lespediza (AU Grazer) in my wood lots. Does well in shade and low pH soils. Might have an impact on the growth potential of dear too if they also struggle with internal parasites.

Based on what I've read, clover seed shouldn't be planted deeper than 1/2" (maybe shallower than that). Relative to most grass seed, they seem to lack sufficient energy to grow up through soil if planted any deeper. I guess soybeans are different. That's why a precision drill that meters these mall seed correctly and also puts them at the right depth consistently is crucial.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk