Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > The Bunker > General Discussion Forum

Old 10-28-2018, 07:30 AM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by sootie View Post
You will hate the car post fix fyi....

Worse mileage, higher def consumption and nasty transmission strategy.

All of which can be fixed with a tune of course.
Who is the go to tuner for these cars?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2018, 07:39 AM
General
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja_cain View Post
Who is the go to tuner for these cars?

Malone for aftermarket stuff.

That of course voids the warranty instantly which you won't want to do unless it's a high miler.

I know a guy in PA who is flashing these TDIs back to the pre fix strategy and knows how to fool the flash counter etc so it's virtually undetectable. I mean, not like it will hurt the car, it's a factory flash but VW loves voiding warranty. Only problem is you have to send him the actual ECM and he bench flashes it.

I would collect the remainder of the payout and go that route personally.

Biggest complaint post fix is the elevated shift points which makes the car feel gutless and NUTS turbo lag. Basically they are combating NOx emissions so they don't want the engine to lug at all. Kind of ruins the TDI experience as that's what they were known for. Also when it's cold, it runs so bad you think something is wrong with it.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:54 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by sootie View Post
Malone for aftermarket stuff.

That of course voids the warranty instantly which you won't want to do unless it's a high miler.

I know a guy in PA who is flashing these TDIs back to the pre fix strategy and knows how to fool the flash counter etc so it's virtually undetectable. I mean, not like it will hurt the car, it's a factory flash but VW loves voiding warranty. Only problem is you have to send him the actual ECM and he bench flashes it.

I would collect the remainder of the payout and go that route personally.

Biggest complaint post fix is the elevated shift points which makes the car feel gutless and NUTS turbo lag. Basically they are combating NOx emissions so they don't want the engine to lug at all. Kind of ruins the TDI experience as that's what they were known for. Also when it's cold, it runs so bad you think something is wrong with it.
Thanks for the info! I'm leaning more towards the 2.5right now for simplicity's sake, but I want to test drive the TDI before we make a decision.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:22 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja_cain View Post
Thanks for the info! I'm leaning more towards the 2.5right now for simplicity's sake, but I want to test drive the TDI before we make a decision.

Test driving the tdi will probably make you want the tdi. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2019, 12:09 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Finnaly got around to looking at some Jetta tdi's today. 14 with DSG and a 15 with the stick. Might pull the trigger on the stick. DSG is kind of slick, but I want something that will last a long time as we plan to drive this thing till the wheels fall of. Has 40k and they want 14,800 for it. Comes with lifetime powertrain warranty. I know the 14 or 15 is the transition year to the Gen 3, but haven't had time to confirm. I guess it basically means different HPFP, injectors and coolant system due to a water to air intercooler. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Just looking for a little more advice if anyone has some to offer. Thanks!

Justin

One more thing. The 15 manual is an SE and has the backup camera and sunroof.

Last edited by ja_cain; 01-05-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:39 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

We had a ‘15 Manual and was a sports edition, little stiffer springs, 6 speed and xenon headlights and I installed a short shifter in it. Fun little car until we took it in for the fix..... came back gutless, lost 5 miles per imperial gallon and I lost confidence in how durable it would be and the performance loss was dangerous MO. Also the wife wanted a larger rig, so we bought a used 2012 Touareg TDi, we put a Malone Stage two tune on it, turned off the AdBlue system and I installed a Rawtek mid pipe that eliminated the Diesel Particulate Filter and SCR exhaust instream canisters. Increased fuel economy from 32 to 36 mpg (again imperial gallons). Rig is a blast to drive, solid, with noticably better performance.

If you get the sedan, check into Malone Tuning and Rawtek exhausts, also short shifter kits and recommend fuel additive like Standadyne with a Cetane improver. I run fuel additive in all our diesel rigs.
Good luck,
j
'97 F250 ECLB Tan White Tan E4OD, 4:10s, D60, PMF 3.5 RSK, Anti sways front/rear w rear bags 5 blocks (129,000 Kms) DP, intake and 4 exhaust.
Truck pix & Write ups

Last edited by JCart; 01-05-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:45 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

I wouldn't be afraid of the DSG.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Depleted, studded, airdog (which isn't currently hooked up), fass regulated return, airaide, 4 inch straight pipe with mbrp muffler(so on to go), glowchit pyro, fuel, boost, and trans temp. (Of course don't work lol) Hercules terra track A/T2 315/70/17.
2013 Honda pilot Touring
http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/778639.png
http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/776628.png
Old 01-06-2019, 05:03 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCart View Post
We had a 15 Manual and was a sports edition, little stiffer springs, 6 speed and xenon headlights and I installed a short shifter in it. Fun little car until we took it in for the fix..... came back gutless, lost 5 miles per imperial gallon and I lost confidence in how durable it would be and the performance loss was dangerous MO. Also the wife wanted a larger rig, so we bought a used 2012 Touareg TDi, we put a Malone Stage two tune on it, turned off the AdBlue system and I installed a Rawtek mid pipe that eliminated the Diesel Particulate Filter and SCR exhaust instream canisters. Increased fuel economy from 32 to 36 mpg (again imperial gallons). Rig is a blast to drive, solid, with noticably better performance.

If you get the sedan, check into Malone Tuning and Rawtek exhausts, also short shifter kits and recommend fuel additive like Standadyne with a Cetane improver. I run fuel additive in all our diesel rigs.
Good luck,
j
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience/opinion! We are going to try and get the price down a little bit, but I think this will be a great car for the wife and then my daughter to learn how to drive a stick. I will probably eventually do the ****** and then a stage 1 Malone tune if she is complaining about the performance. I suspect she will be fine though.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:47 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79jasper View Post
I wouldn't be afraid of the DSG.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Definitely not afraid of it. It is a slick transmission for sure. I just want my daughter to learn to drive using a stick.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:04 AM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

JCart, did your car go through the phase 2 of the fix?