Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > The Bunker > General Discussion Forum

Old 10-27-2018, 08:09 AM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Default VW TDI

Wife wants to go back to a midsized sedan. Currently driving 16 Explorer. She has been looking at Camrys, VW Jetta/Passats and different Subarus. The gas VWs seem to be the cheapest of the options. Doesn't want anything more than 5 years old. Rescently noticed a few TDIs from 2013 and up that were under 40k and $15. Just looking for some general info/advice on the various years in that range. Much appreciate any help!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2018, 08:18 AM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Also, she doesn't mind driving a manual. I'm sure they are like hens teath though. Not real sure about the DSG auto though. Leaning more towards the Passat than the Jetta.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:59 AM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja_cain View Post
Also, she doesn't mind driving a manual. I'm sure they are like hens teath though. Not real sure about the DSG auto though. Leaning more towards the Passat than the Jetta.

Passat is considered a mid-sized whereas the Jetta is a compact. At least in the older versions anyway.

With the same engine and trans, the Jetta gets better mpg than the Passat because itís smaller.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:33 AM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokersace View Post
Passat is considered a mid-sized whereas the Jetta is a compact. At least in the older versions anyway.

With the same engine and trans, the Jetta gets better mpg than the Passat because itís smaller.
The Jetta seems to be significantly bigger than it used to be and so does the Passat. It's more about trunk space than seating when comparing the two. That's why we are leaning towards the Passat. I'm just not sure about the transmission and emmissons equipment. Are these cars easy to service?

Old 10-27-2018, 03:50 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

My girl has a 2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium. It has the DSG auto and I love it compared to the 09A slushbox on my 05 Jetta TDI. It really puts the power to the ground and shifts very smooth. I'm not totally in love with the factory shift strategy but that can be changed.

We bought the car with 36K on it and currently have 62K and the only problem so far has been the DEF heater which is both under warranty and recall. Didn't opt for the buyback but have not had the "fix" done to it yet. Not sure how performance will suffer, after warranty is up I plan to have it tuned anyway. Right now it has great power and gets low 40's highway. Quiet, rides comfortable, plenty of room and handles well for a larger sedan. Warranty has been extended on the particulate system up to 10yrs or 120K if I read the notice right.

What I have found in owning German engineered vehicles is that if they say do maintenance on this system at a specific interval they mean it. I think that's where a lot of folks have issues. Neither the Passat or my Jetta have been the easiest of vehicles to work on or maintain but if you're handy with tools it's not horrible. You will need some special tools for some jobs. A few small things need to be moved out of the way on a Passat to change the oil filter but I don't think it's a big deal. Changing the DSG fluid was a messy pain in the ass but again it's doable. I sprung for the Ross Tech VAGCOM scan tool which has been a huge help. It's like AE but VW specific and for me was cheaper than upgrading my cable and buying the VW bundle for AE.

So follow all maintenance at the specified intervals, use the proper spec fluids (you need a 507.00 VW spec engine oil for all 09+ TDI's) and you shouldn't have a problem. I favor HENGST filters and Pentosin Super Performance III engine oil. IDPARTS is a great place to get supplies and parts. I also use a fuel treatment additive on each fill up - same as I do with my 7.3 and every other diesel engine I own.

Despite some of their quirks I think VW makes a great car and the TDI is a good engine. My 05 has 220K on it with zero major issues. I expect nothing less from the Passat as well.
97 Green F-350 XLT 7.3L PSD 4x4 CC LB BTS E40D Manual Hubs 4.10 36000 miles when purchased 4/1/06. Mods - ISSPRO Performax gauges, Tymar intake, Tymar 3x4 DP to 4" ss exhaust, custom rear disc brakes, hydroboost conversion w/ 6.0 p/s pump, electric fuel, MANN CCV filter,LPF9750 oil bypass, 6.0 fan, tru-cool 4739, Swamps 200/30 injectors, Adrenaline HPOP, BASB turbo, Fluidampr, Spearco 6.0 cac.

05 Silver Mk4 Jetta GLS TDI
Old 10-27-2018, 08:25 PM
General
Member's Gallery

Why go back to a car? Better mpg?

live life full throttle
god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass
Old 10-28-2018, 07:49 AM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peroni View Post
My girl has a 2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium. It has the DSG auto and I love it compared to the 09A slushbox on my 05 Jetta TDI. It really puts the power to the ground and shifts very smooth. I'm not totally in love with the factory shift strategy but that can be changed.

We bought the car with 36K on it and currently have 62K and the only problem so far has been the DEF heater which is both under warranty and recall. Didn't opt for the buyback but have not had the "fix" done to it yet. Not sure how performance will suffer, after warranty is up I plan to have it tuned anyway. Right now it has great power and gets low 40's highway. Quiet, rides comfortable, plenty of room and handles well for a larger sedan. Warranty has been extended on the particulate system up to 10yrs or 120K if I read the notice right.

What I have found in owning German engineered vehicles is that if they say do maintenance on this system at a specific interval they mean it. I think that's where a lot of folks have issues. Neither the Passat or my Jetta have been the easiest of vehicles to work on or maintain but if you're handy with tools it's not horrible. You will need some special tools for some jobs. A few small things need to be moved out of the way on a Passat to change the oil filter but I don't think it's a big deal. Changing the DSG fluid was a messy pain in the ass but again it's doable. I sprung for the Ross Tech VAGCOM scan tool which has been a huge help. It's like AE but VW specific and for me was cheaper than upgrading my cable and buying the VW bundle for AE.

So follow all maintenance at the specified intervals, use the proper spec fluids (you need a 507.00 VW spec engine oil for all 09+ TDI's) and you shouldn't have a problem. I favor HENGST filters and Pentosin Super Performance III engine oil. IDPARTS is a great place to get supplies and parts. I also use a fuel treatment additive on each fill up - same as I do with my 7.3 and every other diesel engine I own.

Despite some of their quirks I think VW makes a great car and the TDI is a good engine. My 05 has 220K on it with zero major issues. I expect nothing less from the Passat as well.
I really appreciate you sharing your experience! Kind of excited to test drive one to see how different they are from a regular gasser. I'll let you know what I think.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:55 AM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnlocker View Post
Why go back to a car? Better mpg?

live life full throttle
Significantly lower car payment and better gas mileage. After owning the explorer, we've just found that it's not necessary. She gets a car/maintenance allowance since she uses her car for work, but we found out she gets the money wether she uses it or not.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:04 AM
General
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja_cain View Post
Significantly lower car payment and better gas mileage. After owning the explorer, we've just found that it's not necessary. She gets a car/maintenance allowance since she uses her car for work, but we found out she gets the money wether she uses it or not.

Makes sense.. that's sweet!!

live life full throttle
god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass
Old 10-28-2018, 08:29 AM
General
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peroni View Post

You will hate the car post fix fyi....

Worse mileage, higher def consumption and nasty transmission strategy.

All of which can be fixed with a tune of course.