Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > The Bunker > General Discussion Forum

Old 11-06-2018, 11:52 AM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Default Question for the farmers

I know there are a few of you around here...

I have a 6 acre field on my hunting property that I plan to plant in soybeans next spring, just for the deer. Theyíll get planted and left probably until the next spring when they get plowed under and replanted....what the deer donít eat anyways. Iíve never messed with beans before, but am curious about planting. Can I broadcast them and cover with a packer, or barely run them over with a do-all? Or will I need to actually sow them? I have plenty of equipment, but itís all small scale aside from a heavy 10ft disc....everything else is sub 6ft. Do have an old 2 row planter, and although it would take all day long to stagger rows over that 6 acres, I can use that if Iíd have a better end product over just broadcasting. Are the Roundup Ready beans worth it? Or is there a better option? I donít want them to get overtaken by grass before the fall, but I also donít see the need to keep them perfectly clean either considering these wonít be for harvest.

I broke up about 2 acres of plots this fall with a 2 bottom breaker...like I said, all my stuff is small, but I will have the time to spend as much as needed to use small equipment in the spring.

There are two fields that size, and another closer to 20 acres, that used to get farmed in beans every year, but the deer completely ate them up, so the farmer just quit a few years ago b cause h was losing so much in yield. Now the closest ag land is a mile away, and my deer are traveling that to eat, passing a couple neighboring properties where the owners shoot anything that walks. Hard to pass bucks year to year to allow them to grow up when they get sniped by the neighbor. Trying to give them plenty of grub to hang around more. Iíll still have a couple other food plots to go with the beans....clover, oats, ect. The oats and brassicas I planted this fall are already ate down to dirt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Diamond Eye 5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
WPE RR and Uppipes
Old 11-06-2018, 12:19 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

For a food plot, I'd say work the dirt down and plant the beans on 30" rows, about 1 1/2" deep.
Come back behind the planter with a grass seeder across the field and broadcast a cover crop that likes shade, and done.
The beans should get established relatively quickly, and if you don't do everything "right" for the cover crop, it should lag behind enough for the beans to grow a canopy, which, in turn should benefit the cover crop.
If you aren't worried about yield, per se, that should give the deer a variety of food over the summer. As the beans dry off, the cover crop should persist quite late.
Skip the rr beans, imo. Waste of money for a food plot, as deer eat grass as a staple.
2002 with a couple of mods, grocerygetter
Old 11-06-2018, 03:14 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Makes sense about the RR beans. I was just worried about grass overtaking the beans and choking them out so to speak. Figured I'd have to spray them at least once to keep that at bay.

Not sure I want to do a cover crop honestly. When it used to get farmed, deer would eat the upper 2 acres of that field to the ground before bow season opened. Looked like you went in with a mower and cut them off about 2" from the ground. Thinking I might need the volume, which I'd still get at 30" rows to a certain degree, but I'd really rather it be heavier than lighter if that makes sense. I will still have a few other non-crop food plots scattered around to give them options, as well as a couple grass fields that I will keep bushhogged down once a month most likely.

So broadcasting is a no go?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
WPE RR and Uppipes
Old 11-06-2018, 04:25 PM
General
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speedsd View Post
Makes sense about the RR beans. I was just worried about grass overtaking the beans and choking them out so to speak. Figured I'd have to spray them at least once to keep that at bay.

Not sure I want to do a cover crop honestly. When it used to get farmed, deer would eat the upper 2 acres of that field to the ground before bow season opened. Looked like you went in with a mower and cut them off about 2" from the ground. Thinking I might need the volume, which I'd still get at 30" rows to a certain degree, but I'd really rather it be heavier than lighter if that makes sense. I will still have a few other non-crop food plots scattered around to give them options, as well as a couple grass fields that I will keep bushhogged down once a month most likely.

So broadcasting is a no go?

Maybe ask a farmer to swing in with their grain drill and plant it for you quick??? No. Dont broadcast. Birds and vermin will have them picked off before they can grow.

live life full throttle
god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass
Old 11-06-2018, 05:13 PM
Mod Squad
Member's Gallery

my old boss broadcast on one of his fields, then went over it lightly with a disc. Probably not the right way, but it grew in thick and made the deer happy.
SDRCM #478
PSA Conspirator # 22
Old 11-06-2018, 05:40 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

If I broadcast it, I'd end up covering it lightly one way or another. I wouldn't just leave it there on top of the ground to fatten up the birds.

Will probably just use that little 2 row planter and do it right. Stagger rows and put them at 15". Thought about doing the lower 1/4 in corn, but the coons would just wipe it out. We tried to plant sweet corn one year to harvest and never got a single ear off it, but did we ever have some fat coons running around!

I've been managing this place for 5 years now. I've only shot 2 bucks off it...one a big old 5pt, and the other an old 7pt. Getting pictures of really nice 8pts this year, most of which need a couple more years, but there are a couple older ones I have my eye on. Had some bad genetics there at first that have seemed to weed themselves out... and some trespassers, but that's been taken care of for the most part. I just need the crop planted to keep them in the area and try to stop all the long distance traveling.

155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
WPE RR and Uppipes
Old 11-06-2018, 06:00 PM
General
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arisley View Post
my old boss broadcast on one of his fields, then went over it lightly with a disc. Probably not the right way, but it grew in thick and made the deer happy.
Yeah. That would be ok..

live life full throttle
god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass
Old 11-07-2018, 11:49 AM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

.....I might thread jack this later. I'm in a similar situation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2018, 12:12 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

However you get the seed in the ground, you'll be shooting for at least an inch deep. 1 1/2" would be better.
I'm not sure how soon you can get out in the dirt, or the dates for your deer season, but soys roughly take 85 days to mature. Having something green to keep the deers interest after the soys are done would be an advantage, depending on the timeframe that you'll be hunting.
Beans are very adaptable to abnormal conditions-poor planting, traffic, less than perfect ground preperation,etc, so you should accomplish what you trying to do, even if something doesn't work the way you think it should!
2002 with a couple of mods, grocerygetter
Old 11-07-2018, 10:12 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

For what you're doing I wouldn't be too worried with row spacing. The norm is starting to become solid seeded beans at a reduced population. I too would skip the rr, waste of money for what you're doing.broadcast and disk in would probably work. Seeds need to be an inch down. Another option is an old seed drill. They van be gotten cheap enough. I bought a 16 foot drill press last year that can be split down to 8 feet for scrap value and seeded a 125 acres with it this year no problem.