Trouble shooting help needed.

13fist

Reaction score
Everything has been running fine, boost, egt's, power, all good for some time now. The problem started at the last 3 hours of a road trip, shortly after filling up not quite 3/4's of a tank, everything seemed fine for awhile but as the trip went on I noticed loss of power and a climb in egts that progressively got worse.
by the time I got home, she was worse than stock.
So far I've gone down the list.
Fuel pressure is steady 65psi
No boost leaks (finally)
No exhaust leaks
No electrical issues or codes
Compression test showed a hair over 400 on the lowest cylinder
ICP idles in the 600's
IPR bounces around 14% at idle
Watched the injectors with the valve covers off, and they looked to be oiling fine. No signs of orings failed.

Startup on a warm day she'll white smoke like its been cold all night and although she sounds fine, she's just super weak.
Bad fuel damaging the injectors was suggested, but I don't know what could have passed by both filters that could cause this.

Really scratching my head here.

13fist

Reaction score
I'm in Lynchburg most days. Work does keep me on the road though.
I guess I've just always taken it for granted "water separator".
or that it could do so much so quickly.
Just burns that these injectors don't have 40k on them yet. I really want it to be something else.

Sent using Tapatalk

Magnum PD

Reaction score
What fuel filter do you have? Need to see what’s in the bottom of it

donny688713

Reaction score
I'm in Lynchburg most days. Work does keep me on the road though.
I guess I've just always taken it for granted "water separator".
or that it could do so much so quickly.
Just burns that these injectors don't have 40k on them yet. I really want it to be something else.

Sent using Tapatalk
Do you still have your EGR it will cause the white smoke lose of power and higher EGTs

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

13fist

Reaction score
Baldwin post pump filter and wix pre pump.
pic of what came out of the prefilter.
20190407_100938.jpg

damnit.

Sent using Tapatalk

13fist

Reaction score
fuel from the post pump filter appears cleaner, but almost as cloudy.

Sent using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
fuel from the post pump filter appears cleaner, but almost as cloudy.

Sent using Tapatalk
Eeeww, id drain the fuel, change the filters and put known good fuel in and go from there. Most 7.3 tunes idle around 550.

Did you check inside the icp sensor to see if it is wet with oil?

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Bad fuel can cause a lot of issues. I have been there and i had another guy that i was trying to help and i was banging my head off the wall trying everything and looking at everything on my otc scanner and in the end, he realized that he put gasoline in it....

live life full throttle

13fist

Reaction score
bad fuel was the one thing that never crossed my mind until a buddy brought it up. so it's the absolute last thing I've looked at.
and now I'll be forever paranoid about every single gallon.
swapped in a spare ipr, and then icp with no change.

I agree that idle does seem high, think I'll switch over to old tunes and see what that does for the numbers. been very pleased with the 1023 tunes for a while now. not likely an issue but I'll check it just to be sure.

Sent using Tapatalk

13fist

Reaction score
checking codes with forscan. I've got AE, but my adapter is in USPS limbo.

Sent using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
checking codes with forscan. I've got AE, but my adapter is in USPS limbo.

Sent using Tapatalk
Any time you change ipr or ipc sensors you introduce air back in the system. That will effect how it runs too. Lol. Id get the fuel drained out with new filters and try that.

live life full throttle

13fist

Reaction score
Waiting on new filters to arrive. Decided to order a racor ps120 to replace the current pre-filter. Mostly for peace of mind, I think I'll feel better being able to see the fuel. Of course now I'll be ducking under to check it constantly.

Any recommendations for a fuel additive to aid in cleaning the last bit after replacing the fuel?

donny688713

Reaction score
Waiting on new filters to arrive. Decided to order a racor ps120 to replace the current pre-filter. Mostly for peace of mind, I think I'll feel better being able to see the fuel. Of course now I'll be ducking under to check it constantly.

Any recommendations for a fuel additive to aid in cleaning the last bit after replacing the fuel?
If that mess was in the filters it's in the tank. I'd drop the take and clean it out when empty. I've tried other filters I keep going back to oem. Glad it wasn't to serious an issue for you. When I'm on the road I get fuel at truckstops they pump so much and have better filter systems just watch which pump. Don't want def in the tank that would be very bad.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JCart

Reaction score
Stanadyne Cetane improver for fuel additive. Not that challenging to drop the tank, just retro fitted a SD CCSB poly tank into my OBS ECLB basically the guard and undo the straps. I’d do the hutch mod while you’ve got it out for a cleaning. Hope you get it sorted.
Cheers,
j

Last edited:

13fist

Reaction score
I've had the tank off a few times, not terrible but not fun. I want to run a good additive to remove any residual junk in the system.
I run dual stock pumps on a fabricobbled regulated return, that is part kit and part DIY.
its been doing great for years.

I dropped it and cleaned the whole fuel system from tank to fuel rails. Clean fuel made an improvement but it wasn't back to normal.
still underpowered and lugging under load.
being the only part of the fuel system that hadn't been changed or altered in some way, I ended up changing the injectors and that's what fixed it.

thanks for the help guys. I'm waiting to hear back from full force on the condition of the injectors.
I'm very curious about what the insides look like.

Sent using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online