Turbo bark/surging while towing?

02bigstrokin

Reaction score
So I decided I would tow one of my friends rock crawlers up to the trails for him today. Put the sct in tow tune and it pulls pretty good with the street max but when I hit a hill climb and it gets in a hard pull I'm getting a loud screeching/ howling sound that sounds like a old 7.3 turbo flutter. its done it three times now on the way up here? Anyone got any ideas? I don't have any smaller of a tune to load up. Boost was at 34 one time, 22 another time, not sure on the third. All three times today have been in 5th gear. It did it to me one other time in 6th without a trailer going up a hill in the race tune at like 65mph. Thanks

truckman1974

Reaction score
What if you programmed back to stock tune, would it still make that noise? Might be worth a try......

02bigstrokin

Reaction score
Kem tunes. It did it on the way home anytime I would hit a hill and leave it in 5th gear. Downshift to 4th it never did it but I was afraid to lay into to hard. Who knows I've just about had enough of this 6.7 bullchit. About to go back to the Duramax world where at least there is good tuning.

Jacob @ No Limit

Reaction score
Is the KEM tune the one for a 14 6.7 with the streetmax turbo? Is it barking because you are lugging it good with the 6 blade turbo?

02bigstrokin

Reaction score
Is the KEM tune the one for a 14 6.7 with the streetmax turbo? Is it barking because you are lugging it good with the 6 blade turbo?

Yes it's for a 14 with the street max. They have wrote multiple tunes for this truck.
Maybe it is barking because of lugging with a 6 blade wheel I don't have a clue. the only way it pulls a hill decent without lugging is downshifting into fourth which puts the rpms way up at speed, shouldn't have to do that. I was towing a truck and trailer weighing 8k so assuming my truck weighs 8-8500 lbs plus passengers maybe towing combined of 17k or so? There's people that tow more then that behind these trucks everyday.. I do it once and it's a joke

jwanck11

Reaction score
Why arent you running a tow tune?? It seems you have the wrong tune loaded and yet are still blaming the 6.7 and the tunes..........

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Put the sct in tow tune and it pulls pretty good with the street max but when I hit a hill climb and it gets in a hard pull I'm getting a loud screeching/ howling sound that sounds like a old 7.3 turbo flutter.

Why arent you running a tow tune?? It seems you have the wrong tune loaded and yet are still blaming the 6.7 and the tunes..........

Seems you have trouble reading

Jacob @ No Limit

Reaction score
Well this truck is a deleted 2015 running pip tunes, around 40k gross here. No turbo barking that I have ever heard. Gears are 3.73. The truck loves it. Power is great even with all the weight. Maybe try different tunes?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,021.4 KB · Views: 84

02bigstrokin

Reaction score
So you have a 8" lift, wide and heavy 37" Tires , didn't regear and added a turbo meant for all out full throttle performance and wonder why it doesn't like to tow at part throttle/ low rpm

Yeah that is a bunch of bullchit. Everybody wants to jump to "oh it has a lift and wide tires and stock gears... Blah blah blah". I don't buy it not for one second. The tires are 37" tall that's it. Do you realize how many people run 37" tires on the superduty platform? Heck a lot of the 22.5 dually tires are that height and guys tow heavy ass chit all the time. How many of these trucks pull skid steers and mini excavators or both, or multiple cars at once everyday! And you wanna sit here and tell me it's because my "tires are too wide and my lift kit is too tall!" . Its a cop out for people that don't have a legit reason as to why sometjing is happening.

WYO7.3

Reaction score
My truck does the same thing. I have 3.31s and 35" tires. I have been told the turbo surge can be tuned out of it, also I read you can adjust the wastegate with promising results. The other solution I heard was taller gears as the surge happens for me at least when the engine is lugging and I go to get on it. Usually when I use tow haul it helps quite a bit as it holds the rpms higher for longer. Is your surge And barking accompanied with smoke?

Sideswipe505

Reaction score
Yeah that is a bunch of bullchit. Everybody wants to jump to "oh it has a lift and wide tires and stock gears... Blah blah blah". I don't buy it not for one second. The tires are 37" tall that's it. Do you realize how many people run 37" tires on the superduty platform? Heck a lot of the 22.5 dually tires are that height and guys tow heavy ass chit all the time. How many of these trucks pull skid steers and mini excavators or both, or multiple cars at once everyday! And you wanna sit here and tell me it's because my "tires are too wide and my lift kit is too tall!" . Its a cop out for people that don't have a legit reason as to why sometjing is happening.
You asked for advice. Don't be a bag of diks when it's given to you ***nuts

truckman1974

Reaction score
Man.....y'all got me wondering if I'm going to have this problem now.......

I was thinking about buying a 34' trailer and trying to haul stuff on uship for people on the weekends. I have an 8" lift with 37" tires (I just installed a sway bar kit trying to get ready for this idea)......and 3.55 gears....

If I bought this trailer I "could" haul a couple vehicles at a time (my truck is NOT a dually)......I'm wondering if I'm going to have trouble trying to pull that much weight. Should I be considering a one car trailer instead???

Sorry for a potential derail......but I think it's not a total derail since my question is in line with the OP question.......thanks.....

02bigstrokin

Reaction score
My truck does the same thing. I have 3.31s and 35" tires. I have been told the turbo surge can be tuned out of it, also I read you can adjust the wastegate with promising results. The other solution I heard was taller gears as the surge happens for me at least when the engine is lugging and I go to get on it. Usually when I use tow haul it helps quite a bit as it holds the rpms higher for longer. Is your surge And barking accompanied with smoke?

No my truck does not smoke at all, zero. the engine really is lugging like one would think. It's making 34 psi and starts barking/surging? It's not like it's snuffing the charger like at a sled pull or something. It's not lugging down like that and barking.

Latest posts

Members online