2015 PIP tune issues

JCROMAN73

Reaction score
I have had really bad lag and little to no smoke on take off since I tuned and deleted the truck 2 weeks ago. It has no low end get up and go. It takes almost 3 seconds for the power to come on from a wot standing start. I have a full egr, dpf delete and no limit stage 2 intake. And yes the throttle body is unplugged. I have been working with David at pip and he is at loss why my truck is so laggy. The truck is also reluctant to shift down at light throttle. It holds the gears all the way to 900 rpm before it shifts down lugging the engine. If you try to give it little throttle to get it to shift down sometimes it drops 2 gears and comes on stronger than you wanted it to. Its very on and off. Almost like a 2 stroke. Ive had tuned 7.3's and 6.0's and had never had these kind of issues. The drivability is just not good at all. This is on extreme and I have also tried performance with same results. Just wanted to see what others are experiencing? How much smoke are you getting from a standing start?

here is a link to a standing wot start with traction control off. This is on extreem. You can see zero smoke until it hits about 3500rpm and is ready to shift to 2nd. It doesnt even chirp the tires. https://youtu.be/zm8Pi983dns

20156point7

Reaction score
I have had really bad lag and little to no smoke on take off since I tuned and deleted the truck 2 weeks ago. It has no low end get up and go. It takes almost 3 seconds for the power to come on from a wot standing start. I have a full egr, dpf delete and no limit stage 2 intake. And yes the throttle body is unplugged. I have been working with David at pip and he is at loss why my truck is so laggy. The truck is also reluctant to shift down at light throttle. It holds the gears all the way to 900 rpm before it shifts down lugging the engine. If you try to give it little throttle to get it to shift down sometimes it drops 2 gears and comes on stronger than you wanted it to. Its very on and off. Almost like a 2 stroke. Ive had tuned 7.3's and 6.0's and had never had these kind of issues. The drivability is just not good at all. This is on extreme and I have also tried performance with same results. Just wanted to see what others are experiencing? How much smoke are you getting from a standing start?

here is a link to a standing wot start with traction control off. This is on extreem. You can see zero smoke until it hits about 3500rpm and is ready to shift to 2nd. It doesnt even chirp the tires. https://youtu.be/zm8Pi983dns
mine definitely smokes more than yours from a start.

hunter_.b

Reaction score
Mine is the same way if I just push it to the floor. I have to make about 1800 rpm then get off the brake to get rid of the lag

hunter_.b

Reaction score
Just so we are clear I love the power and the smooth shifting but is a bit laggy

20156point7

Reaction score
I just got done doing a couple wot runs from a stand still and mine is laggy too and almost no smoke . I never really payed attention to it. it's not a problem for me

jwanck11

Reaction score
The turbo needs time to spin up. In the EB F150 platform, there is a tuner that completely eliminated lag... not sure it can be done for the 6.7

The trans issues are different from mine. 4th and 5th often hold too long and the upshifts and tq lock up are sometimes hard and sometimes tame.

Last edited:

charles henson

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
This is useful info but also very disappointing as i have a superchip tune and although better then stock power wise it's still a super HUGE turd and i'm constantly in regen, so i was about to get this myself but now i'm not so sure. 😞
Good luck,i sure hope they get it figured out and soon.

JCROMAN73

Reaction score
just let PIP know. they are super busy but still will get to you.

I have been working with David at pip. He even made a few changes to my tunes but its still just as laggy. I also got the p0402 code even running v7 tunes. David said I should have never gotten that with a v7 tune. So it seems these are not completely dialed in yet. Im just trying to see if others had the same lag, apparently they do. I just cannot believe that my tuned 2003 7.3 has nearly zero lag with stock turbo but the 6.7 tuned is a bigger turd than it was stock off the line. I still have my 7.3 and it absolutely leaves my 6.7 in the dust off the line in a cloud of smoke. I was expecting the 6.7 to wake up tuned not turn into a turd. pretty disappointing. It just seems like they could crank up the low boost fueling to help get it spooled up. I mean I get zero smoke off the line, that doesn't seem right for a tuned diesel.

Cheap6.7

Reaction score
Fwiw I'm running a new tune they made for my with a 64mm turbo and it's good but lagy as you guys have said but I just wondering if it's the " save the rods " thing. I will say it pulls good everywhere but from a stop. I have noticed if I baby it and stay 25% and under throttle it's picking up some MPG but I'm on stock 2011 fuel so it's a little diffrent for me than all you guys.

Bottom line I have faith it will turn out sooner or later.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
when using the term " laggy" lets talk about at what rpm you guys are at when you are making 10psi or more.

2006.1f250

Reaction score
No lag here, try plugging the throttle body back in and see what happens. Mine popped some codes when it was first tuned, plugged the throttle body back in and its been good since. Even with the V7 tunes, the throttle body is still plugged in.

CWAY6.7

Reaction score
My buddy had similar issues with his. Its def a tune issue. He ended up getting new tunes that werent released yet and still being tested @ PIP, loaded on and it fixed his problem.

CWAY6.7

Reaction score
No lag here, try plugging the throttle body back in and see what happens. Mine popped some codes when it was first tuned, plugged the throttle body back in and its been good since. Even with the V7 tunes, the throttle body is still plugged in.

I forgot to mention something about what he said^....Originally my buddies 15 did this (before EGR delete and H&S cold piping/butterfly delete) and come find out, he plugged the throttle body back in and the code went away. PIP revised his tune some more after calling them and fixed it to where he doesnt need it now

Mikeyfitz

Reaction score
The turbo needs time to spin up. In the EB F150 platform, there is a tuner that completely eliminated lag... not sure it can be done for the 6.7

The trans issues are different from mine. 4th and 5th often hold too long and the upshifts and tq lock up are sometimes hard and sometimes tame.

Mine does that too, 4 and 5 shifts can get raunchy occasionally

Latest posts

Members online