Icon lift not a fan at all!!!

Ctsvnino

Reaction score
I installed a full icon 4" lift and since installed I haven't gotten my wheel alignment set wasted $200 still nothing. The adjustable track bar is the worst design because it's shaved on one side and you can't set it perfect. Honestly should of went with pmf suspension. Any ways I 3,000 miles on this lift what can I get? I'm selling everything

JCROMAN73

Reaction score
I installed a full icon 4" lift and since installed I haven't gotten my wheel alignment set wasted $200 still nothing. The adjustable track bar is the worst design because it's shaved on one side and you can't set it perfect. Honestly should of went with pmf suspension. Any ways I 3,000 miles on this lift what can I get? I'm selling everything

Whats off with your wheel alignment? Castor? I have ouo ala's that have adjustable caster and can also be adjusted to center your tires in the wheel well. If your castor is off these will fix your problem. no need to change the whole lift. They also look waaaaay better than dropped radius arms. Not sure why you can't get the track bar adjusted perfectly unless its not the right one for the amount of lift you have. I have the Bd diesel adjustable track bar and it works perfectly. I am also running icon 4.5" springs. I pieced together my whole lift kit because no one manufacturer had the perfect kit for me.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score

hey buddy, something else is going on here. call me tomorrow and i'll put you in touch with the vp at icon , i'm sure he'll do what you need to get it right.

Ctsvnino

Reaction score
hey buddy, something else is going on here. call me tomorrow and i'll put you in touch with the vp at icon , i'm sure he'll do what you need to get it right.

Thanks Mike it's not your fault I bought in my own I do all my work myself plus my dad works at a dealership for mechanic just something's wrong making noise alignment messed up. Wish I can make a good video of it by its hard to hear the noise

Ctsvnino

Reaction score
Whats is wrong with the track bar? Not much to go wrong on it.

I don't know if something wrong but doesn't drive straight went to three alignment shops including ford still haven't gotten it and they all say it's the track bar. Plus I have dual stabilizers with stock tires for now because my tire and rims are in route when your stop and turn the wheel back and fourth you hear big click or bang it's bad. Didn't have that in the beginning. I'm not happy I had other lift companies never had issues. Should piece mine together. Might take out the drop brackets and track bar go with pmf or ouo for the front and rear arms

ncollins64

Reaction score
I had a trac bar issue once with my 4.5 lift. Did you use radius arm drop brackets? I could never get my trac bar secured tight enough on the frame end and it was making a popping noise. I put a big a$$ snap on breaker bar on both sides and torqued it as tight as I could. No more popping but I also never had trouble getting everyone aligned up either and I'm running the long 4 link from Trevor.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Yeah the track bar on the frame end needs to be torqed to 425 ft/ lbs or something like that. My truck was clunking when I went around a corner as well not long ago and I tightened that bolt up more and it solved the issue. Also with the truck sitting still have someone move the wheel back and forth with you under it, tuck on the ground. Watch the frame end and the lower end where the bushing is at on the track bar. Make sure neither of them is moving to much. Also if it is Icon's adjustable track bar make sure all the jam nuts to lock it in place are very tight as well. I would bet its the upper or lower track bar joint not being tight or the ball joint worn out. If you want to fix the ball joint right OUO makes a replacement one but its not exactly cheap.

DSL_PWR

Reaction score

Get rid of it quickly before you do serious damage to your truck. Sorry you had to go through that. I know a few people that bought their stuff only to get rid of it.

CWAY6.7

Reaction score
I've had my Icon 3.5" setup over 2 years installed, with PLENTY of Texas Hill Country abuse and off-roadage, AND 80,000 miles on the kit, NEVER one issue. I have the adjustable track bar and steel bearing on mine.
Oh and PMF uses Icon Coils btw.

I think its your installation. It wasnt done right and now your suspension is in a bind.

Last edited:

Captaincworley

Reaction score
My money on the popping noise is the Trac Bar not being tight enough. Is your truck pulling to 1 side? I had that problem with just my leveling kit until I installed some some alignment cams. The shop that did the alignment keeps a few different ones in stock and installs whatever is necessary.

Charles

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Get rid of it quickly before you do serious damage to your truck. Sorry you had to go through that. I know a few people that bought their stuff only to get rid of it.

Damn you must know a lot of people.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
The track bar is machined on that one side to A, get the bolts through the collar and B, so the neither the bar not the collar can rotate once set. And the Popping/Clunking is because who ever installed it didn't either torque the bar down to spec or the collar isn't tightened correctly.

Last edited:

Ctsvnino

Reaction score
I'm going to check the track bar again but I think I'm going to get rid of lower drop arm brackets and get a long arm 4link for the front. But I'm going to call mike after 12 and talk to him and get in touch with icon. What's a very good shop in nj that does wheel alignments?

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
Only alignment you should have needed is the track bar and the drag link to center the steering wheel both takes about 10 min to do.

Seems the biggest issue with track bars are as others have said ..get it to min Ford specs.

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Two things jump out.
1. As others have noted, that track bar bolt needs to be torqued to some ridiculous torque setting. If it's not, it'll be loose.
2. You don't mention which shocks are in your steering damper, but if they are like mine, they are charged and if you don't get them even they'll push to one side or the other making the truck pull to one side.

As to alignment, there's nothing to it, you can do it with a tape measure and get it as good as an alignment shop will do with all their fancy equip.

Mine clunked and wandered at first, I didn't have the upper bolt tight enough. After torquing it to spec and centering the dampers, it's been nearly 3 years now w/o issue.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.