Getting a 6.7, what to do first?

HobbyStock62

Reaction score
Im sure this has been asked a lot, just dont have time to search pages of forums. Going to be getting a 2014 or 2015 6.7L within a couple weeks here. I am looking to get some things ordered so that when I get the truck, I can just bolt some stuff on, throw a tune on and go. I know the 6.0 crap, but this is all new. What im looking for is what everyone is going for/what the best is for all the ******s, and tuner. Any other recommendations? Again, I know this is basic stuff that I could research but am juggling a bunch of crap, and am just looking for a guy that knows to tell me get this, this and this basically. Thanks in advance.

PSDJunky

Reaction score
Yeah, the *** are pretty cool huh.

Get a 15, not a 14, for the slightly improved HPFP, injectors, main bearings, turbo, & maybe a couple other things. I had an 11, got a 14, wished I had a 15 but not worth restarting a loan, CCV house routing caused excessive turbo back pressure & crankcase pressure, formed oil droplets (not drips), traded into a 19, & I'm tickled to death. FYI, incase ya don't know, a Lariat Ultimate has basically all the bells n whistles of a King Ranch or Platinum. You'd miss out on a few little things, but nothing major...depending on your color and trim preferences and pricing.

I suggest C C V (do not kink or block hose at all or allow dips within hose routing if in very cold environment), E G R, D P F, G D P's E z L y n k toons, intake, Air D o g or F A S S if ya want the added fuel cleanliness (like I do)/not needed for pressure at entry level power levels. There's also a thing called a HPFP Disaster Prevention Kit that I highly suggest. I'll just let ya Google it or call someone about it. Otherwise, oil at 5k intervals, fuel at 15k, trans/xfer case/diffs at 60k (I swap filters and fluid at 30, flush at 60, & alternate from there), follow coolant checks, etc. I bet some folks would say that's a lil overkill. But IIRC, a Scorpion runs about $13k & a 6R140 runs about $7k. So, I do my maintenance slightly on the early side. Otherwise, enjoy the greatness that is a 6.7L PSD.

HobbyStock62

Reaction score
Thats exactly what I was looking for, thanks. Is the tuning "change on the fly" fine on these trucks? I know that was a no go for the 6.0s, but I suppose technology has come a long ways since I was dealing with all that on my 6.0.

PSDJunky

Reaction score
No prob, glad it covered what you were looking for. I used S O T F quite a bit with G D P's toons on the Ez L y n k & never had a problem. I'll soon be using the same setup on my 19, plus their monitor. Using your phone is okay. But, I got tired of putting it in and getting it out of the mount every time I got in or out of my truck. They have a S O T F switch that mounts where your OBDII port is or you can switch via their monitor, btw. ... very easy to use, great customer support, tons of great toons, nice monitoring layouts

sootie

Reaction score
Disaster prevention kit is snake oil-skip it. No need for a low pressure fuel system, stock can handle 750hp easy. Go for 15+ as they have a better turbo and larger hpfp

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
My 12 got better mpg than the 15 i have now but the new tunes i have with 2nd gear lock up flat out hauls ass! Prior to that, it felt like my 12 ran better. Not now though. What junky said about maintenance intervals is spot on though.

live life full throttle

PSDJunky

Reaction score
Disaster prevention kit is snake oil-skip it. No need for a low pressure fuel system, stock can handle 750hp easy. Go for 15+ as they have a better turbo and larger hpfp
Out of curiosity, because I like the multitude of posts I've seen from ya, why are you not a fan of the DPK? I like it for bang-for-buck assurance, but I have wondered how needed it really is/ what're the chances of getting diesel bad enough to shell out the pump and ruin your fuel system...my understanding & thoughts... but I'm curious to read your opinion, might adjust mine
My 12 got better mpg than the 15 i have now but the new tunes i have with 2nd gear lock up flat out hauls ass! Prior to that, it felt like my 12 ran better. Not now though. What junky said about maintenance intervals is spot on though.

live life full throttle
Thanks man, I'm glad to know you approve of those intervals *no smart arse*... same about the posts. I agree with the 2nd gear TC lockup. G D P has several toons with that option and I'm a fan. I also really like their multiple stages of trans toons/ gear holding and line pressure increasing (not familiar with the other toons mentioned). Out of curiosity, did you have different gears in your 12 vs your 15? I think that may have something to do with the change in turbos. *always learning* My daggon 19 is considerably better stock than my 14 was stock (same 3.55s)... shocker ...really itching to get it tooned.

PSDJunky

Reaction score
I sure like my TSD tunes on ez...trans shifting is perfect!
Gave your post a lil more thought...
1. I guess it doesn't * tunes. I'll start spelling it right.
2. What year is your truck? I had a little bit of a lag at shift points with G D P. It's just that it didn't quite maintain aggressiveness throughout... almost like it was giving the trans a breath to grab the next gear... not annoying really, just noticeable, on my 14. But, I had a badly kinked C C V hose (excessive crankcase pressure and turbo back pressure, learned the hard way ). I wonder if that had anything to do with it... should probably ask G D P. For the OP's decision making, do you experience that with your tunes? What about lincolnlocker and sootie?

sootie

Reaction score
Dpk is only good if the failure is on the cam side of the pump which may account for more than half of the failures but certainly not all. Besides, if the lack of lubricity was enough to kill the pump, what do you think it's doing to the injectors? Sure it might keep metal out if them but it's not just metal that kills them!

PSDJunky

Reaction score
Dpk is only good if the failure is on the cam side of the pump which may account for more than half of the failures but certainly not all. Besides, if the lack of lubricity was enough to kill the pump, what do you think it's doing to the injectors? Sure it might keep metal out if them but it's not just metal that kills them!

Gotchya, I'll be running an Air D o g II 4G as well. My main concern was contamination, which is why the after market lift pump, that and purer fuel. My thought was basically $1k or so to avoid, from what I've been told, $12k potential damage... just as an added safety net, in combo with the lift pump

sootie

Reaction score
Gotchya, I'll be running an Air D o g II 4G as well. My main concern was contamination, which is why the after market lift pump, that and purer fuel. My thought was basically $1k or so to avoid, from what I've been told, $12k potential damage... just as an added safety net, in combo with the lift pump
Why reduce reliability with a Fass or air dog?????

Be money and reliability ahead to install an advanced filtration system in line, while keeping the factory pump. Far less likely to get stranded and you don't have to hack up OEM stuff. For example the diesel site setup....

PSDJunky

Reaction score
Why reduce reliability with a Fass or air dog?????

Be money and reliability ahead to install an advanced filtration system in line, while keeping the factory pump. Far less likely to get stranded and you don't have to hack up OEM stuff. For example the diesel site setup....
Hmmm, okay, I'll check it out, thanks

C2tuck

Reaction score
Gave your post a lil more thought...
1. I guess it doesn't * tunes. I'll start spelling it right.
2. What year is your truck? I had a little bit of a lag at shift points with G D P. It's just that it didn't quite maintain aggressiveness throughout... almost like it was giving the trans a breath to grab the next gear... not annoying really, just noticeable, on my 14. But, I had a badly kinked C C V hose (excessive crankcase pressure and turbo back pressure, learned the hard way ). I wonder if that had anything to do with it... should probably ask G D P. For the OP's decision making, do you experience that with your tunes? What about lincolnlocker and sootie?

I honestly haven’t noticed a difference at all between how the trans acted when stock. It seriously shifts dead on every time. No flaring, no lagging, just perfect shifting even when you bury it to the floor. Plenty of power, but the main reason I went with them was the trans shifting. Mines a 15 btw.

I too am about to add a dieselsites filter. I’m adding a fuel box aux tank/toolbox combo and will be getting diesel from oilfield locations. Hey..free diesel for the next few years should pay for all this stuff. Lol.

doo dah

Reaction score
I second the TSD tunes. Mine was dyno tuned with them and Chris made some adjustments because I have a full Suncoast built 750+ transmission. As for fuel filtration I have the factory lift pump supporting just over 575hp at the wheels with 237,000 trouble free fuel system miles. I'm with Sootie on the stock fuel being pretty darn good.

PSDJunky

Reaction score
I honestly haven’t noticed a difference at all between how the trans acted when stock. It seriously shifts dead on every time. No flaring, no lagging, just perfect shifting even when you bury it to the floor. Plenty of power, but the main reason I went with them was the trans shifting. Mines a 15 btw.

I too am about to add a dieselsites filter. I’m adding a fuel box aux tank/toolbox combo and will be getting diesel from oilfield locations. Hey..free diesel for the next few years should pay for all this stuff. Lol.

Right on... I checked on the dieselsite system & it looks like I'll have to call and see if they have one for 19 trucks yet. That diesel setup is awesome though, clearly.

I second the TSD tunes. Mine was dyno tuned with them and Chris made some adjustments because I have a full Suncoast built 750+ transmission. As for fuel filtration I have the factory lift pump supporting just over 575hp at the wheels with 237,000 trouble free fuel system miles. I'm with Sootie on the stock fuel being pretty darn good.

Sounds good about OEM lift pump & the hint of what you're running.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.