T4 questions

Reaction score
Can some one school me on T4's V's a regular turbo (38R)? Does this eliminate the need for a turbo pedestal, if so how does the turbo get its oil? Why does the T4 kit come with all the piping, up pipes, etc...is the factory stuff to small? What do the numbers mean on the T4 (S366, S369 etc...)? Thanks

The Brad

Reaction score
The pedestal is different to accommodate a T4 flanged turbo. Depending on who’s kit you use, the oil is supplied and returned by a hose. Carson Stauffer and Irate Diesel kits both use the same oil feed, but the CSD kit return oil to the stock return vs. Irates kit requires removing a freeze plug in the valley to return oil. The IC pipes are routed differently to mate to the new turbo. As for the turbos, 3 is the frame size and 66,69 relate to the compressor wheel inducer size in mm.

Reaction score
Oh ok that makes since. Is the biggest reason for going this route is just the ease of changing turbo's with out a room issue?

Zeb

Reaction score
Can some one school me on T4's V's a regular turbo (38R)? Does this eliminate the need for a turbo pedestal, if so how does the turbo get its oil? Why does the T4 kit come with all the piping, up pipes, etc...is the factory stuff to small? What do the numbers mean on the T4 (S366, S369 etc...)? Thanks

The factory 7.3 turbo setup is a reverse rotation charger, so to go to the traditional rotation turbos you have to run a different mounting arrangement. That is why the T-4 kits include all the piping.
The T-4 setups use a different style “pedestal” and an external oil feed and drain lines.
S364.5, S366, S369 etc denote a BorgWarner S300 series turbo, and the last 2 numbers denote the compressor inlet size in millimeters. There are also 2 different size turbine wheels for the smaller S300’s, (S364.5 and smaller), and a variety of turbine housings.

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out if the extra 1000K over a drop in 38R is worth it for my truck. My 2002 F250 on 33" tires auto tranny is basically a week end warrior. It might have the tractor on the goose neck trailer one day or every one's atv's (8 total) on the trailer the next day on our way to go play or all of us just loaded up to go out driving on a summer night. Not going with to big of a build, I was told a Stage 1.5 injector would plenty for I will be doing and then the drop in 38R. Leaning towards ******** tunes because I have heard great things about how their tunes keep the tranny shifting firm but still smooth?

The Brad

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out if the extra 1000K over a drop in 38R is worth it for my truck. My 2002 F250 on 33" tires auto tranny is basically a week end warrior. It might have the tractor on the goose neck trailer one day or every one's atv's (8 total) on the trailer the next day on our way to go play or all of us just loaded up to go out driving on a summer night. Not going with to big of a build, I was told a Stage 1.5 injector would plenty for I will be doing and then the drop in 38R. Leaning towards ******** tunes because I have heard great things about how their tunes keep the tranny shifting firm but still smooth?

If towing and an occasional wot run is what you’re after, a 364.5/74/.91 will work great with those injectors. If you want to sacrifice a tiny amount of towing ability in exchange for more top end performance, then you can go with a 366 or 369. The point of switching to a T4 mount is to be able to run the best turbos available. There’s isn’t a drop in turbo that performs as well as a properly sized SXE turbo, which is why many of us chose to spend the extra money.

Reaction score
If towing and an occasional wot run is what you’re after, a 364.5/74/.91 will work great with those injectors. If you want to sacrifice a tiny amount of towing ability in exchange for more top end performance, then you can go with a 366 or 369. The point of switching to a T4 mount is to be able to run the best turbos available. There’s isn’t a drop in turbo that performs as well as a properly sized SXE turbo, which is why many of us chose to spend the extra money.

A lot to think about for sure. Sorry but I should add that I think my truck has a lower gear ration that a 3.73 (4.10's maybe), I haven't pulled the cover to see for sure. Bought it out of Ga and it had 37" tires at the time (before I lowered it back down and put the 33" on it) and it drove like they were stock tires. Both front and rear have fresh silicone sealant that tells me some one was in there but not sure why. So I think the towing really wouldn't be affected to much if I did go with the 366 or 369 but since it does act like its a lower gear, top end isn't really in the cards anyways so now that I am thinking about it, your first choice would work fine. Plus I really like the clean look of the T4 kit. Sorry if I ramble on, I am bad about that.

DieselDC

Reaction score
IMO Nothing’s more clean than an oem setup. The fit is perfect. You don’t need to go to a t4 setup less you wanted to. Kcturbo stg2 or a dieselsite gtp38r would be a perfect upgrade to tow and put around town with.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

Swaan

Reaction score
No need to go t4 s300 conversion anymore. Just get a drop in kc s300 . Done

akcooper9

Reaction score
No need to go t4 s300 conversion anymore. Just get a drop in kc s300 . Done

Please...

There is a guy on FTE that has the KC drop in 'sxe clone' running 1250-1275 egts with the Van turbo and 85hp tune. FYI, the van housing is 1.15. IMHO there is nothing impressive about his results. I can only imagine what his EGTs would be if he had a .84 or 1.0 housing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoV0AuejspE

In comparison, here is my SXE with a .91 housing on stock injectors pushing 35s, towing a 5th wheel on a 65hp tune running lower rpms (due bigger tires) and my EGTS are significantly less at 1000 degrees:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH01EW8Vy0Q

Zeb

Reaction score
Please...

There is a guy on FTE that has the KC drop in 'sxe clone' running 1250-1275 egts with the Van turbo and 85hp tune. FYI, the van housing is 1.15. IMHO there is nothing impressive about his results. I can only imagine what his EGTs would be if he had a .84 or 1.0 housing

In comparison, here is my SXE with a .91 housing on stock injectors pushing 35s, towing a 5th wheel on a 65hp tune running lower rpms (due bigger tires) and my EGTS are significantly less at 1000 degrees:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH01EW8Vy0Q

His egt would probably be less if he had a tighter housing because it would drive the turbo harder. Tuning can also play a big role in egt, regardless what hp rating they put on it.

Swaan

Reaction score
Well that's his problem right there. That 1.15 housing is to big and not driving the turbo hard enough to make adaquate boost. You can clearly see that in the video. 22-24 psi at almost 2800 rpm is to low. He should be in the 30-35 psi range .
There is lots of guys running that drop in with great results. Just as good as any true s300.

Your getting great results from your sxe because of the .91 housing driving the same wheels that are in the kc drop in.

akcooper9

Reaction score
Well that's his problem right there. That 1.15 housing is to big and not driving the turbo hard enough to make adaquate boost. You can clearly see that in the video. 22-24 psi at almost 2800 rpm is to low. He should be in the 30-35 psi range .
There is lots of guys running that drop in with great results. Just as good as any true s300.

Your getting great results from your sxe because of the .91 housing driving the same wheels that are in the kc drop in.

Having had a KC with a 63mm compressor and clone style sxe turbine and having run both the .84 and 1.0 housing on it, I can speak from experience it produced high EGTs and low boost. No different then the video above with the van turbo. I changed nothing but swap from a KC to BW SXE turbo and the problems disappeared. It's not a tuning. This isn't 2010.

I don't see folks running BW SXEs with 1.0 or 1.15 housings having low boost or EGT issues due to lower drive pressure.

What I see is a product that doesn't match the performance of a BW SXE with out pulling significant fuel to manage EGTs. To call them the same and say there is no need to go T4/SXE anymore is ludicrous.

Last edited:

Swaan

Reaction score
Please...

I smell compleat B.S

How can you go from saying this , then go on to say you've ran both housings with that turbo. Total contradiction.
Honestly bud, i dont think you've tryed one at all. Your just saying you did to save face. Sorry man just calling it like i see it, and you would of never said that comment if you actually ran one.
I'm not saying there is anything wrong with a s300 on a 7.3 as they work great. I know , I had a few on my truck. All I'm saying is there is no need to go through all the exspensive convertion process when you get the same results with the proper speced KC drop in.

akcooper9

Reaction score
I smell compleat B.S

How can you go from saying this , then go on to say you've ran both housings with that turbo. Total contradiction.
Honestly bud, i dont think you've tryed one at all. Your just saying you did to save face. Sorry man just calling it like i see it, and you would of never said that comment if you actually ran one.

No BS

Install Post: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1496329-kc38r-363-turbo-install-and-review.html

Removal Post:https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1496329-kc38r-363-turbo-install-and-review.html#post17384638

From post 25

EGTs still get up around past 1300 on a hot tow tune while towing but still very manageable with the right foot or a lower tow tune. Boost could be higher as well.

All I'm saying is there is no need to go through all the exspensive convertion process when you get the same results with the proper speced KC drop in.

Just curious, do you have first hand experience with a KC drop in turbine? or have you just read about it on the interwebs?!

Last edited:

Swaan

Reaction score
Well fair enough!

I stand corrected and apologize for calling you out. I just dont understand why you would quote someone about there experience with the KC when you yourself was well versed in it yourself. Just seemed wierd. Lol

To answer your question about trying one. No of course not, I already had a t4 setup, hence no need. I did how ever wished KC had this option when I was doing my build. It would of saved me a bunch $$ and no need to screw around with that terrible down pipe irate diesel fabed up for the OBS guys.
So yes I've been following peoples success with the kc drop in and was under the understanding that they have been doing great. Yours was the first I've heard of poor performance. I did notice that yours was one the beta tester models when they first came out.. makes me curious what Charlie has changed since then to make them better ??

Dont get me wrong, as I'm the biggest supporter of the sxe borg/t4 setup. I as you still think there the best turbo option out there , and that goes for any platform. But for someone who does not want to go through all the hassle and just want a drop in, then it's hard to argue with the kc line.

The Brad

Reaction score
...But for someone who does not want to go through all the hassle and just want a drop in, then it's hard to argue with the kc line.

This is true! The KC line is a great alternative for those who can’t/don’t want to afford a T4, but to claim the performance is the same is flat out wrong!

Swaan

Reaction score
This is true! The KC line is a great alternative for those who can’t/don’t want to afford a T4, but to claim the performance is the same is flat out wrong!

Wow, tough crowd . Lol

Ok then I'm going with "similar".

I'm sure the new ones Charlie has now are not too far off as reviews are indicating and a heck of a lot better then a stock turbo.

Latest posts

Members online