Transmission problems

bens

Reaction score
I have a 2014 f350, ******d and tuned with an ez lynk. As i was merging onto the interstate the transmission slammed hard into the next gear i think it was a 3-4 shift. So hard i thought i got rear ended. Anyways i get into town and come to a stop and wouldnt hardly move, the dash indicator showed only 5th gear engaged. So i made it home. It goes into reverse fine, if i go to drive it tries first gear and you can feel it engage for a few seconds, then it "pops" out loudly and goes straight to 5th. Any ideas? Id assume some sort of hard part failure...
Thanks,
Ben

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

bens

Reaction score
Update... hooked up my scanner to the truck tonight, no trans codes, nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary. I started it put it in drive and it acted normal, went on a short cruise, shifted great by the time the truck warmed up, it started stuttering in first and second gear, so i made it back home. Reverse is strong. Im happy becauseni dont think i have any hard part failure, but maybe an electrical type issue. Any input anyone??
Thanks

sootie

Reaction score
i would try different tuning. if it doesnt change then, i would assume some sort of valve body problem.

doo dah

Reaction score
I haven't come across that issue. These transmissions are very strong and even when they are hurt bad they still keep going. You could try unloading and reloading your transmission file and go through the relearn process otherwise it could be related to a shift solenoid.

bens

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys, as soon as i get it out of winter hibernation i will try reflashing the tcm and going through the relearn.

bens

Reaction score
Well it was a decent day out today, so i reflashed the tcm tune, and went through the relearn. I was driving the truck around to get the transmission warmed up before the procedure. I stopped to shift through all the gears NRNDR or however it goes, but as soon as i got to drive, it did theboriginal thing. I could feel 1st engage, then a loud pop, and it indicated on the dash 5th gear. I drove around 25 miles problem free warming it up. And then all of a sudden it went into its fit of being stuck in 5th gear again.

doo dah

Reaction score
You don't get any codes when it does this? This forum isn't active anymore so I'd try other online resources, post in the '17 and up forum as most of those guys had 11-16s before they upgraded, and maybe call Midwest or the place you bought your tuner from and see if they have any guidance. I bet it is an electronic part and not a hard part.

bens

Reaction score
I ended up taking it to the stealership to be diagnosed, and of course they said bad trans. They couldn't tell me why but would have been more than happy to keep digging into it for $175 an hour. Long story short I now have a midwest street trans. I still feel like it could have been a simple problem, but now my worries are over and I have a warranty.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

bens

Reaction score
I did not drop the pan but pulled a sample from the dipstick tube and it was black and seemed to have clutch particles.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
I did not drop the pan but pulled a sample from the dipstick tube and it was black and seemed to have clutch particles.

Hate to say it bud but the stealership is right. Pull the pan and verify but if your fluid is burnt and you have clutch material, she’s cooked....

bens

Reaction score
Post #9 I bought a midwest street trans and worry free now. Lol

bens

Reaction score
I don't even know why mine blew up I was kind of disappointed. It probably had a hard previous life before I bought the truck.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
I don't even know why mine blew up I was kind of disappointed. It probably had a hard previous life before I bought the truck.

More than likely yep. I always let mine warm up before I let her eat haha

Ackerdiesel

Reaction score
The pan is not a good indicator of trans life in these things. Just fwiw...
1736c79ca101e596c332d6774ac2f311.jpg
21a88446e12af77a594284801144c971.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bens

Reaction score
How much did that run you including instillation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I remember right, in the ballpark of 6k. That was with a heavy duty torque converter, all schaefers fluid, and I got the egr lightened at the same time.

SpyderX

Reaction score
If I remember right, in the ballpark of 6k. That was with a heavy duty torque converter, all schaefers fluid, and I got the egr lightened at the same time.

Thanks for your time. Did Midwest install for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online