2013 first oil change now making funny noise help

Jomax

Reaction score
From what I gather the later trans are just as strong as the older 6rs its just the 5th gear plate is thinner causing that gear to let go before all other parts. Correct?

The 5 and 6 clutch packs have less clutches IIRC.

I've seen the older trans grenade FAST as well. So I don't know how bad it really is.

I will say, driving it right while the trans learns is important. There's a reason I keep it in the race tune. I believe switching tunes all the time then not having the patience to let the trans re learn, hurts them.

There's a nice jump in top end power in the race vs hot street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
Big difference? I have the updated tunes from no limit.. "race new ov" ? I'll load it tomorrow heading to a local diesel event. Don't have an egt gauge yet should I be concerned with Temps?

Your egts will be just fine. When I run the 1/4. Egts hit 1450ish? at the end. Won't hurt a thing.

Driving around town, these things run cool.

ckrueg

Reaction score
The 5 and 6 clutch packs have less clutches IIRC.

I've seen the older trans grenade FAST as well. So I don't know how bad it really is.

I will say, driving it right while the trans learns is important. There's a reason I keep it in the race tune. I believe switching tunes all the time then not having the patience to let the trans re learn, hurts them.

There's a nice jump in top end power in the race vs hot street.

Iirc. Morgan at midwest said the weakest clutch pack in the 11-14 was 4th and that clutch pack is the same in the 15+. So while they are weaker they are limited by 4th anyways. But I makes sense the 15+ trannys fail more, they have like 75 more hp tuned.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

CallMeColt

Reaction score
I use Motorcraft 15w-40 in my truck to over 150,000 miles. I got the tick on two oil changes & it went away in less than 1,000 miles. This past oil change, I switched to Rotella 15w-40 & it's been ticking for over 2,000 miles. Seems to be louder than I remember. It's noticeable even when driving at low speeds with the windows down when next to a wall. Has me a little worried. It's not constant though. Truck seems to run fine. Almost at 166,000 miles. Guess my motor just doesn't like that oil. To bad I have 6 gallons left.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I use Motorcraft 15w-40 in my truck to over 150,000 miles. I got the tick on two oil changes & it went away in less than 1,000 miles. This past oil change, I switched to Rotella 15w-40 & it's been ticking for over 2,000 miles. Seems to be louder than I remember. It's noticeable even when driving at low speeds with the windows down when next to a wall. Has me a little worried. It's not constant though. Truck seems to run fine. Almost at 166,000 miles. Guess my motor just doesn't like that oil. To bad I have 6 gallons left.
that chit is the worst fuggin oil! use it for bar oil or give it away and put some good oil in it! these trucks really like 5w40 man!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

CallMeColt

Reaction score
I think I will just use it up since I have a little over 6 gallons left. But, I should have done a little more reading on here before buying. Not sure if I want to go as low as a 5w40 due to south Texas heat. Definitely going to try something different when the time comes.

After doing a little more digging, hearing the tick between 500-1700 RPM is normal. When I hear it driving, I'm usually going 10-15 MPH. Has me much less worried now.

Now that I'm all tuned & ******d, my exhaust covers the tick up a lot. :)

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I think I will just use it up since I have a little over 6 gallons left. But, I should have done a little more reading on here before buying. Not sure if I want to go as low as a 5w40 due to south Texas heat. Definitely going to try something different when the time comes.

After doing a little more digging, hearing the tick between 500-1700 RPM is normal. When I hear it driving, I'm usually going 10-15 MPH. Has me much less worried now.

Now that I'm all tuned & ******d, my exhaust covers the tick up a lot. :)

hit me up for some LE , i've never had the tick with it .

ckrueg

Reaction score
Never had the tick with LE. 5w40 is just as thick at 15w40 at operating temps I believe, so shoulnt be an issue there

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
New le user. After 1k miles I have a tick. Only when cold though. Truck has just under 6k on it

Tick with LE? Man your truck has low miles.. mine just hit 100k miles lol.

04cr450

Reaction score
Tick with LE? Man your truck has low miles.. mine just hit 100k miles lol.

The famous typewriter tick. It goes away though when running at operating temps. Just the nature of the engine and nothing to do with the oil. I was discussing it with jim earlier in the week

CallMeColt

Reaction score
So, I've done 4 oil changes since I found this thread. I put exactly 12 quarts in & 1 quart in the filter. Almost no tick anymore. Still with Rotella 15w40. I wasn't really measuring before & was just filling to the line. Maybe a little less in there stops it? Maybe I was just lucky? Once in a blue moon on a start I might here a tick once... that's it. It was real bad before.

Asleepz

Reaction score
Just a comparison from Rotella T6, DELO 400LE, and the latest report was MC 15-40. Needless to say Ill be going back to Shell or Chevron.

Edit. No potato picture. https://imgur.com/gallery/9RZkPIA

Attachments

• 5C193726-8E44-4480-A285-6650E772A7EF.jpg
    5C193726-8E44-4480-A285-6650E772A7EF.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online