E99 7.3 xle4 to nvk5 pcm ?'s

riverboy460

Reaction score
Hi everyone I have a line on a used nvk5 pcm. I currently have a xle4 in my e99. I can get it for 100.00 bucks which is from what I know a good deal. I want inputs on if its worth it or not.

also if anyone knows since the pmt1 tunes are supposed to be better. since I have a php hydra and can just down load the new tunes for it. can I just download the pmt1 tunes to use instead of the nvk5 ones. since everyone says the pmt1 tunes are better. I was told that any dpc-422 pcm can be used for newer tunes. is this correct?

would you change buy it and swap them out if it was you. If soo what are the benefits. thanks

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Yes you can run a PMT1 tune on a NVK pcm. I do on my DD and my friends DD.

Ive always wondered if PMT1 will work on xle

MossBack

Reaction score
Yes you can run a PMT1 tune on a NVK pcm. I do on my DD and my friends DD.

Ive always wondered if PMT1 will work on xle

Pmt will not work on xle. They are different dpc- families I believe xle is 402

And to the OP you need to unplug the BARO on the e99 to run the nvk PCM. It is under the steering column.

And yes pmt2 tunes run great and shift butter smooth. I like the feel of nvk4 tunes as they a more aggressive trans shifting tunes. Depends on personal preference though.

Moss Diesel Service

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Pmt will not work on xle. They are different dpc- families I believe xle is 402

And to the OP you need to unplug the BARO on the e99 to run the nvk PCM. It is under the steering column.

And yes pmt2 tunes run great and shift butter smooth. I like the feel of nvk4 tunes as they a more aggressive trans shifting tunes. Depends on personal preference though.

Moss Diesel Service

Where did you get this info? My buddies e99 we swapped out his xle and put an nvk5 pcm in and fired it up. Reburned the tunes and its fine. Never ran better.

If performance is tied to it, its not doing much. Or anything.

Edit:my post is aimed at the baro sensor

MossBack

Reaction score
the e99 PCM used a external bato whereas the 99.5-01 has a internal one. So as to not send a different signal to the PCM in a e99 I always unplug it when swapping to the nvk/pmt PCM. Honestly it isn't tied to performance and I don't think it needs to be unplugged it is just something a mentor taught me.

Sometimes I have had trucks that have hard shifting and customers complain of it. I have had to learn a lot about what sensors tell the PCM and how it responds to the demand.

Moss Diesel Service

Last edited:

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
I had FHP2 DPC-432 PCM in my late 99 had PMT1 swamps tunes on the hydra worked just fine no problems at all other than reversions because of the injectors (160/100's) and trying to fine tune the idle. So yes some DPC/PCM families will work with PMT1 DPC-422 tunes and some will not.

JD3020

Reaction score
So its 100% plug and play to put a newer PCM in a E99? Buddy of mine wants me to make some tunes for this E99, but i don't want to spend the money for the definition files for an E99 PCM. I'd much rather get everything to do PMT1 which will work for a lot more trucks, and just swap his PCM out for one that will work.

TyCorr

Reaction score
So its 100% plug and play to put a newer PCM in a E99? Buddy of mine wants me to make some tunes for this E99, but i don't want to spend the money for the definition files for an E99 PCM. I'd much rather get everything to do PMT1 which will work for a lot more trucks, and just swap his PCM out for one that will work.

Thats what we did for my buddies e99. Xle family to dpc422 (nvk5). I use nvk4 pcms exclusively.

JD3020

Reaction score
Sweet, thats good to know. I was thinking there was some re-pinning involved which is why we haven't done anything yet, but i must've been confusing it with putting a SD PCM in an OBS. LOL

MossBack

Reaction score
Thats what we did for my buddies e99. Xle family to dpc422 (nvk5). I use nvk4 pcms exclusively.

Do you have any pcm's ? I am trying to fix a truck right now that is a electrical nightmare...

Moss Diesel Service

TyCorr

Reaction score
Trans tuning is the best in my opinion. Nvk is more accessible to trans tuning and such. It works well all on its own but as a background to some pmt tunes its tye best, in my opinion.

Ride in a healthy 2000 with nvk tuning and then find any other strategy that works as well and Ill listen.

Its all personal preference but havjng seen and tried them all over the years, nvk4 was the best. Nvk5 is good too.

Jomax

Reaction score
I put a NVK4 in my E99 without issues. Putting a e99 pcm in late 99-2003 7.3s will turn on the SES light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online