turbo manifold material??

gwunter

Reaction score
So I'm looking to make a compound setup on my 4bt. For hot piping I'm not sure on what material to use. Im debating on ss304 sch10 or sch40 mild steel. It seems people have used both. I've heard sch40 is way overkill but I've also heard 304 sch10 sometimes cracks do to its thermal properties. So what is your input?? Thanks.

White_monster

Reaction score
For the manifold use sch10 304 and the rest use 304ss 1/16" wall tubing. Manifold holds a lot of weight so being strong will help. For the manifold feather the joints and back purge the welds for maximum strength and to avoid potential cracks. If your using the cast 304L elbows and material use er308 wire/filler. Sounds like a fun project.

gwunter

Reaction score
Sorry I should have been more specific. I'm not making a head to turbo manifold.....yet. I'm just focusing on the turbo to turbo hot pipe first. But yea, I'm really leaning to go toward the 304. I've also seen pipe available in 316 and 321. Any opinions on these over 304? Thanks for all the input.

White_monster

Reaction score
Higher grade takes higher heat. 321ss requires 347 filler rod and it's very expensive, my up pipes are 321ss that's how I know. I'd go 304ss unless you plan to run high egts all the time. 304ss doesn't take high high heat great but it is sufficient for us. If you can swing 321ss go for it but the piping is a little over double what 304ss would cost you plus the expensive filler. 316 is only a little cheaper.

Latest posts

Members online